Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Cool Sanyo Blur Problems + Recommend me a new camera for objects/items!

Hi there, I need help.

I purchased a Sanyo VPC-X1200 off of ebay as used condition. I do not see anything wrong at all visually with the lens. I actually used a professional lens cleaner as soon as I received it and properly used it as directed. However, the quality of the photos looks fine from a distance or re sized very small, but up close it's extremely blurry....

http://pics.livejournal.com/animesrus/pic/0003xz5q This is a link to an image taken with this camera.

Perhaps this is a setting problem?
    Could something have ruined the lens?
    Is this normal for this type of camera?

I am thinking about buying a new camera, anything you recommend under $40 on ebay *with just bids work* for taking photos of objects and items with good detail? Thanks.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Sanyo Blur Problems + Recommend me a new camera for objects/items!

For under $40? No way.
    Under $400 probably, second hand.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Pretty picky for "Under $40". If you could extend the budget, the $75-$110 range you could get something like a Canon A620 on ebay with just bids works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot-...item41531e951f

I suppose, you could get a 35mm Film SLR for close to that price point. If you want to deal with film.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    For under $40? No way.
    Under $400 probably, second hand.
    Well, the reason is because I had a very old camera that took 5mp pictures, and a 3mp camera. Somehow, the quality always shown better closer up.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

More MP does not always mean better pictures.
    For example the Minolta A1 (5MP) was far better than the Konica-Minolta A2 (8MP).
    Same body, same lens, same size sensor, more MP, worse results.

If it's for small items and detail work, then you will get better results the more light you have.
    Your sample image was blurry in part because there was not enough light and the camera was using a short shutter speed and wide aperture.
    If you make sure the camera has manual exposure controls, or at least A and S modes, then you can use longer exposure (and lights, or a tripod) and force the camera to use a smaller aperture.
    That will give better results.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If you can adjust aperture and/or shutter speed, you could try a smaller aperture,(larger number), such as f/8. That would slow your shutter to slower than 1/30th and that would require a tripod or other stabilizing method for your camera.
    Probably need it even at 1/30th
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

1/30th is pretty dang stable on those small point and shoots, considering the focal range, sensor and camera size. I wouldn't consider a tripod neccesary at that speed. F/8 is usually as narrow as any of them get as well, 5.6 is even pretty dang narrow considering a ~ 5mm focal length.

Lugia - the quality may have also been better close up because its relatively less close up. Downsize a 10mp image to 5mp to compare it, apples to apples, to 5mp.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    1/30th is pretty dang stable on those small point and shoots, considering the focal range, sensor and camera size. I wouldn't consider a tripod neccesary at that speed. F/8 is usually as narrow as any of them get as well, 5.6 is even pretty dang narrow considering a ~ 5mm focal length.

Lugia - the quality may have also been better close up because its relatively less close up. Downsize a 10mp image to 5mp to compare it, apples to apples, to 5mp.
    Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    If you can adjust aperture and/or shutter speed, you could try a smaller aperture,(larger number), such as f/8. That would slow your shutter to slower than 1/30th and that would require a tripod or other stabilizing method for your camera.
    Probably need it even at 1/30th
    Thanks so much! This is very helpful as I did not know what to look for in a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    More MP does not always mean better pictures.
    For example the Minolta A1 (5MP) was far better than the Konica-Minolta A2 (8MP).
    Same body, same lens, same size sensor, more MP, worse results.

If it's for small items and detail work, then you will get better results the more light you have.
    Your sample image was blurry in part because there was not enough light and the camera was using a short shutter speed and wide aperture.
    If you make sure the camera has manual exposure controls, or at least A and S modes, then you can use longer exposure (and lights, or a tripod) and force the camera to use a smaller aperture.
    That will give better results.
    Thank you !

I have a Sony dsc s730 with the same problem after a few years I read on here to set the flash to manual instead of automatic that fixed the problem. sorry some people here have to be rude to you don't let them chase you away there is a lot of good information here. Ed

Thread Information