Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: In Praise of Olympus' in Body IS

Why not?, whatever works!. I think many of us put much emphasis on the technical aspects of photography and in the process forgetting that photography is about what looks good at the end. I find that happening over and over from Nikon and Canon users and without thinking that they might be missing on something. Very often we hear Nikon and Canon users recommending their brand to newbies by saying "...because there are more lenses and accessories". Well I never bought any "accessories" nor used more than three lenses.
    Do you know why is this happening?, because most Nikon and Canon users never used an Olympus but most Olympus users already used Nikon or Canon.
    Last edited by Asmarlak; 08-29-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asmarlak
    Why not?, whatever works!. I think many of us put much emphasis on the technical aspects of photography and in the process forgetting that photography is about what looks good at the end. I find that happening over and over from Nikon and Canon users and without thinking that they might be missing on something. Very often we hear Nikon and Canon users recommending their brand to newbies by saying "...because there are more lenses and accessories". Well I never bought any "accessories" nor used more than three lenses.
    Some fields of photography are inherently tech heavy and the understanding and implementation of technology are not just helpful but often necessary. In this age, there are more cutting-edge shooters out there than ever before shooting images that were only the stuff of imaginations (or creative manipulations) not too long before. Technology and equipment play a bit part in that.

I always tell people to look in the future at what equipment they think they will need and buy a system that best matches that need today.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Asmarlak, I share your disdain for the blind brand fanboyism, I'm a Sony user - out there in the niche with you. And yet, its just the nature of common popularity. Most of us here are educated enough to know that all 5 major brands make excellent gear and have excellent systems, its only the ignorantly proud who think they have "the best" system.

Anyway - I guess the point is, you say "because most Nikon and Canon users never used an Olympus but most Olympus users already used Nikon or Canon" - is simply the nature of being the popular beast. People who end up in the fringe categories usually do so by applying a more thorough thought and consideration, so naturally what you say is true. Not because Canon or Nikon don't make excellent systems and outstanding gear, obviously they do, but because they are significantly more common.

hehe, guess I killed the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Asmarlak, Smaller sensors have many advantages to many shooters, but bringing the image closer is not one of them any more than putting masking tape on a print to block off the edges is.

Terry
    Olympus uses crop factor of x2 just like Nikon uses x1.5 and Canon x1.6. And what is wrong with "Mask Tapping" OR in other words "CROPPING" the edges of an image. Have you ever cropped an image?, I have all the time, we all do. The images are more square, I actually prefer them that way. But that has no effect on image quality.
    Last edited by Asmarlak; 08-30-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    hehe, guess I killed the thread.
    Thanks Anbesol, No you didn't kill it, at least not yet.
    Last edited by Asmarlak; 08-30-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks Anbesol, No you didn't kill it, at least not yet.
    Before you edited that, you killed it for me. Your work is very good, your gallery is great, your arrogance has lost any respect I had for either one.

Good for you you've learned by yourself. Good for you you like Oly better than Canikon. Bad for you that you think you're better than everyone else here.

It's almost too bad that the quoted post was edited, it truly said what an arrogant jerk the OP really is. Anbesol's post about the major brands is very true, it really doesn't matter at all how the image got to the page, the image is what counts, no matter what system processed it. Unfortunately to make a point OP's hypocrisy on this matter shines through very clearly in this thread...HIS system and ability is far superior to our lowly talents.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Sorry to say, but I agree with EOS, I found that post pretty offensive (before the edit), and directing that towards Loupey seemed severely unnecessary. I always found Loupeys images outstanding, and hes always been very helpful and informative. I certainly think hes far from 'pretending to be knowledgeable'.

I also don't upload much but the occasional pic to the gallery when they are redirected from my post uploads. I wasn't aware that we were being ranked and judged by the quantity of images in our public gallery.

EOS, you just feel that way because you belong to the same category. Talk is cheap and technologies that exist in text books, test results, and charts are not always applicable. All sensors start smaller then get bigger overtime. However, I think Olympus have already exhausted their capabilities with their current sensors, If they want to grow into 14, 16, or 18 megapixels, they would have to adopt different technology with larger sensors in order to stay in competition. I yet to see what they are talking about in their practicing of their work.
    Last edited by Asmarlak; 08-31-2010 at 07:44 AM.

How is he in the same category? Because he uses Canon?

What do text books, test results and charts have to do with anything? Is this still in regard to Loupeys original statement, that 200mm is 200mm regardless of the format?

Anbesol, I don't know what you're talking about.

As I said in the other thread, I think that there may just be a cultural difference here in the way we explain things. As Americans we have a way of looking at things that is not universal. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

EOS, you just feel that way because you belong to the same category. Talk is cheap and technologies that exist in text books, test results, and charts are not always applicable. All sensors start smaller then get bigger overtime. However, I think Olympus have already exhausted their capabilities with their current sensors, If they want to grow into 14, 16, or 18 megapixels, they would have to adopt different technology with larger sensors in order to stay in competition. I yet to see what they are talking about in their practicing of their work.
    Asmarlak, I don't know what you're talking about.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

I guess the only thing I want to know is - what category do you mean EOSThree and Loupey both fit?

Clicker - I appreciate that you want to be as understanding as humanly possible, but I think there is a line where words become too insulting regardless of culture. When someone accuses anyone of 'pretending to be knowledgeable' (in particular, loupey), or says they joined a community only to teach and not learn, I think that is the line.

*edit - hehe, okay, now I killed it. Good riddance!
    Last edited by Anbesol; 09-01-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information