Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

PnS 4 website and Gen use Please help

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I am fairly new to digital camera but have some experience with my old 35mm Minolta Maxxum 650Si.

I have a new version of my website coming soon and I will need to take pictures of products. I would like clear quality pictures to help with making my site more professional looking.

My wife and I love to travel, taking many long distance road trips. We love taking picture of the outdoors and nature. We just took a trip last summer across the us to several spots (Yellowstone, Yosemite, Utah, Badlands etc.) I plan to use my 35mm for this for the most part or at least until I can afford to get a nice digital slr.

I would like to get a nice point and shoot for my website and for family gatherings. We take many small road trips to visit family and we are all addicted to taking occasional photos with ever visit.

I want a PnS that will fit into my pocket. It can be a tight fit but not bulky .

I would like a good optical zoom, OIS, a view finder if possible and use AA batteries.

I have looked at so many options and reviews! I am on overload ! I see bad reviews, good reviews for cameras. I don't know which are mfg people spreading marketing propaganda or not.. So I thought I would be better just asking people on here about it.

I would like to buy online for $300 or less.

I am not sure if I gave enough info, so Please let me know if there is anything I left out.

Thanks everyone in advance .

Chris

Re: PnS 4 website and Gen use Please help

Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, Chris. Thanks for all the detail. It makes a big difference when we try to answer your question.

Forst of all, a pocket-sized camera that uses AA batteries is tough. I can't think of one. That's because the AA batteries are pretty large by current battery size standards. The proprietary rechargable batteries are really good now. And that will open up a huge number of cameras for you. For pocket-sized point-and-shoots with image stabilization, my preference is Canon, Panasonic, Casio, and Olympus - not necessarily in that order. Nikon and Sony also make good cameras. But I have always enjoyed using the others more.

Here's a quick breakdown of the general differences, as I see them. Canon generally has the best image quality (although Sony and Nikon can compete in that area), the Panasonic P&S cameras are the easiest to use, Casio P&S cameras offer the most control and are usually the fastest, and the Olympus Stylus line is very compact and weatherproof. So I like them all - but for different reasons. I'm going to leave it at that for now to see what you have to say. Then we can go from there.

And when the time comes for you to buy a digital SLR, you're a prime candidate for on of the Sony Alpha cameras. In case you don't know, your Minolta Maxxum lenses should work on the Sony DSLRs. So unless you only have one lens, start looking at the Sonys because they'll be your best bet. And they're also very, very good. Sony jumped in with both feet and they're making good stuff.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks Photo-John ! This helps narrow the search.

I can live without the use of AA batteries.

I am thinking I should probably get something that will take macro or close up pictures of products well. So picture quality is a must.

Also I don't mind if it is on the big side of compact, as long as I can stuff it in a pocket and not break it.

I have 2 lenses for my Minolta a 28mm to 80mm and a 80mm(i think) to 300mm..

I did not know that about the Sony SLR's Thank you very much. I will go the sony route when I cross that bridge. I have several filters and and lens accessories for my Minolta.

I know I can be picky when looking for this P&S , so realistically I just need something that will make great product pics for my website. I would like to use it for other things but the website is #1 priority. With this in mind, it might make it easier for me to find what I actually need.

So would Canon be the best for closeup pics ?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

AA batteries?
    Panasonic make image stabilised cameras that use AA batteries.
    LZ-10 Image Stabilised, 5x optical zoom, 10MP
    LZ-8 Image Stabilised, 5x optical zoom, 8MP
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks I'll take a look at the Z series. Although It doesnt have to be AA batteries. I just have alot of high mah nimh AA's so I thought I would throw it out there. I would rather have better close up image quality and overall performance over the battery type.

So far I am looking at Canons and Pannys

Thanks again
    Chris

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Be sure to check our dealer feedback forum before you buy online.
    Unfortunatly there are more bad dealers than good.
    Also check reseller.com before placing an order.
    Good luck!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

i know kodak has some small cameras and so does fujifilm with high MP good luck with the search!
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Thanks. I will check out the dealer list before hand. I have read about those dealers before. So I know what you mean there.

Ive been looking at two pannys

TZ3 and FX100

TZ3 has a nice wide angle and nice zoom power 28mm-280mm. 7mp

FX100 has good wide but not great zoom 28mm-100mm but really nice MP 12MP

Actually the whole TZ series 3-5 look nice TZ3 is 7MP TZ4 is 8MP goes up from there .. all with the same zoom range.

Which one would you guys get?

Thanks again everyone.
    C

Quote Originally Posted by rylan
    i know kodak has some small cameras and so does fujifilm with high MP good luck with the search!

I will take a look at those too.

Thanks
    C

Ok. I went to http://www.dpreview.com

and looked at the sample pics of the TZ1 which is a lower model than the TZ3,4, or 5.

I am really impressed with the quality. I like the zoom range on this series. I am just stuck at which one to get 3,4, or 5. Is it worth the extra money between the models for the extra MP ?

7MP TZ3 is $237 shipped at J&R music world or $219 at Vanns.com
    8MP TZ4 is about $300 at various places
    9MP TZ5 is $318 Shipped at The monitor outlet.

The only store I know anything about out of these is J&R

So seeing how the TZ5 and the TZ4 are so close in price, I would just get the TZ5.. SO is 2 more MP worth about $80 ?

Thanks
    C

Quote Originally Posted by cah027
    So seeing how the TZ5 and the TZ4 are so close in price, I would just get the TZ5.. SO is 2 more MP worth about $80 ?

Thanks
    C
    For your intended purpose, definitely not.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Yeah because I plan to go big later on and get a nice slr for large prints. I think I have just about decided unless someone can talk me into something else.

Now I just need to pic a dealer.

There's always Amazon.com. I always start there for comparisons and then check out the recommended dealers.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Hey the LZ6 and 7 are very close on specs but a lot less price. They don't have quite the same zoom 35-220mm

and they use AA's I have a ton of 2600mah NiMh cells. I could get one of these from NewEgg for $128 shipped. 7MP

OK... UPDATE!!!!!!

I am sold on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ series !

I went to the store and brought my SD card. I got pics with a TZ3 and a LZ7. Both are 7MP but the LZ series are lower on the camera totem pole and it shows. Even though both are 7MP the TZ3 was way ahead of the LZ7 on picture quality and detail. Much better low light performance as well.

I want to go with the TZ5 but they are hard to find at a good price at a reputable e-tailer. So I am going to keep searching and when I find a good deal I will buy a TZ5. I love the TZ3 so I know I will really love the TZ5. Tje 3 would probably do but I got a taste and now I want it all ! (evil laugh)..

Anywho..

Thanks guys!

Another update.

I just ordered the Panasonic DMC-TZ5S from Buy.com . They had it for $295 vs most places $350 plus I applied for the Buy.com credit card and got another $30 off with free shipping for a total of $265 !

Should get it in a week.

Thread Information