Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question Please help me out looking to upgrade..

I currently have a Canon S400 Digital Elph.

I am looking at the following-

Canon S3is

Sony DCH-H9(new model old model H5 I think they are similar with a bigger screen I think)

Panasonic DMC-FZ8

If you have any experence with any or all please give me your experences with them.
    You you could give pros/cons.

I am going towards the Canon just the screen is the smallest out the 3(I believe 2") what do you all think?
    Thank you for your help ahead of time.

Re: Please help me out looking to upgrade..

I have the S3 IS and I can attest that it is a great little P&S camera. In comparison to the other two you listed, they both have more MP than the Canon, and at least the Panasonic can save photos in Raw format. I didn't see that either of the other two had Image Stabilization (IS), though. They are all in roughly the same price range, though the Panasonic seems slightly higher. The Canon's LCD appears to be smaller than the others, but it does articulate, whereas the Sony only tilts, and I didn't see that the Panasonic moves at all, but I could be mistaken. Guess it's a personal decision, but what clinches it for me is the IS, and the fact that the S3 uses ordinary AA batteries.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist
    I didn't see that either of the other two had Image Stabilization (IS), though.
    Both the Sony and Panasonic have image stabilization.

Panasonic's entire current lineup has image stabilization. I think that's a great thing.
    Last edited by Erik Stiegler; 04-16-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Stiegler
    Both the Sony and Panasonic have image stabilization.
    Indeed... I stand corrected. I should have searched a little more carefully. Another couple of data points are that the Sony and Pansonic seem to have a broader range of ISO settings--at least they go higher, but the Canon has a broader range of Aperture settings--at least it has smaller (higher number) aperture settings. Don't know if that's important in this decision...
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Thread Information