Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Please help me choose: Panasonic LS2 vs. Olympus x-760 vs Nikon Coolpix L5/6?

Hello there!

I´ve asked here, several days ago, about a certain Kodak digital camera, and some people here told me that there were better options than that.
    So, I wait and made more research.

As I´ve never buyed a digital camera before, I´m pretty clueless about what to choose.

So, I´m travelling in a couple of days, and it´s my intention to but the camera at the Duty Free Shop.
    I´ve made a search and here are my options:

Nikon Coolpix L6 (or maybe L5 but it costs much more!)
    3x optical - 6.0 - no image stabilization - 23 mb - sound

Panasonic DMC-L52
    3x optical - 5.0 - 14 mb - with image stabilization - no sound

Canon A430
    4x optical- 4.0 - with simage tabilization - 14 mb - no sound

Olympus C-5000
    3x optical - 5.0 - no simage tabilization - 32 mb - no sound

Olympus x-760
    3x optical - 6.0 - with image stabilization - 10 mb - no sound

I like the Olympus x-760, but I´m stuck... dunno what to choose...

I need good resolution, good (and as much I could get) image zoom, and would like sound.
    - Is the "Image stabilization" important? I mean... does it really works?
    - If the camera does not have sound... can I add it an external microphone?

- Are the built in micros in the cameras good? I mean, could i expect good sound or it´s worthless to choose a camera for their sound capabilities?
    - Can I take panoramic pictures with digital cameras?

- What about the internal memory? Should I care for that or it´s not that important with the memory cards capability?

I cannot buy both a digital camera and a DV, I would like the best possible product at the best price... :-)

What do recommend me? I don´t care much for pinting images, I´m going to use the cam to upload their photos to my website.

Thanks in advance for your help, time, and reccomendations!!!!!!

Rosamunda

Re: Please help me choose: Panasonic LS2 vs. Olympus x-760 vs Nikon Coolpix L5/6?

I can not give any advice on the cameras you have chosen here, because I have never used or seen them.
    But a few general rules do apply. You said you want good resolution. So, the more megapixs you have should give you better resolution. Even though I use Canon, the 4mp Canon should be moved to the bottom of your list. Your 5 & 6 mp cameras move upwards on your list.
    As far as the internal memory, its almost usless. If you shoot a 6mp camera at its highest resolution of 6mp, then you can only take 5 pictures. Even if you lower the resolution to 1mp per picture, the camera still can only hold 32 pictures. But by that you have lost quality and you mentioned that is what you want.
    You need to look into how big you can get on the memory cards. You mentioned sound, so I will assume you are planning on taking movies. Movies eats memory on a camera's memory card. If you are using the camera to take pictures, then I would be looking at least a 1 gig memory card or bigger.
    As far as sound goes on cameras, None are very good, that I know of. With all the cameras on the market. There could be one that will take a microphone.
    Image stabilization does work on a camera. It helps with the small movements you make when taking pictures. Rememeber the key word is, "helps". If all else on the different cameras you are looking at are the same, then I would choose the one that has stabilization.
    You could do a web search on the cameras and see if you can any reviews from people who has used this cameras.
    I searched this site for the Olympus x-760 and it says its a 7 mp camera?

Hope this Helps
    Newbie Here
    rovowen

Re: Please help me choose: Panasonic LS2 vs. Olympus x-760 vs Nikon Coolpix L5/6?

Hi there!

I myself use the Olympus X-760, its a good camera for everyday use. I would recommend it. I haven't tried the others, so I can't tell how they are.

You can see a few of my pictures here. There are some unedited (well resized) pictures. Will give you an idea of the picture quality.

Hope it can help you alittle.

Thread Information