Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Please help!

Please help!

Hi everyone...I'm new here and I joined this forum because I am having a lot of trouble figuring out which digital camera to get. I love photography and have taken many classes and consider it a serious hobby. I use a manual SLR--a Nikon FM10, and i love it but obviously it is not good for everyday use. Right now I have an old Exilim but it is just not cutting it. I would love a digital SLR, specifically the Nikon D40 which I love, but I am just afraid that I will end up leaving it at home a lot because it is a little big to carry around all day just for general picture taking with family and friends. Basically I am looking for the best quality camera I can find that isn't a big hassle to carry around a lot...Price isn't really an issue, I just want to find a great camera. If you think the D40 would be a good fit for me, just say so. I am seriuosly considering it, I just want to see what else is out there. Thanks!

Re: Please help!

Digital lens have gotten a lot smaller, more lightweight, and cover wider zoom ranges than ever before, even getting in the range of 18-200, after crop factor being 27-300. Considering this, you don't need to carry any extra lens on you if you don't want. Digital technology has done a lot for the portability of SLR's in many ways. Ultimately, they still are very far from being pocket cameras. Go to the camera store and ask them if you can hold the D40 with an 18-200 zoom on it and see if you are comfortable with that. Even then, I think you'll get adjusted pretty quickly anyway. The benefit to going digital SLR over point and shoot is huge and has always been more than worth it for me. Look also towards Nikon's competitors, the Canon EOS450D/Rebel XSi is the smallest, lightest SLR in the market (last I checked anyways).

The smallest, lightest digital SLR right now is the Olympus E-420. Nothing comes close if you want a compact DSLR. We are working on a full review. In the meantime, you can see my preview here:

Olympus E-420 Preview >>

But reading your post, it seems like you aren't quite sure what you want. You can't replace a pocket point-and-shoot camera with an SLR. It just doesn't work. They have diffrent purposes. You need to decide what your top priority is - a camera that you can carry everywhere in your pocket; or a larger camera that delivers the best quality. You said that your Nikon FM10 isn't good for everyday use. Why not? It's a perfectly capable camera. What about it isn't serving your needs? If it's too big, a digital SLR is not the solution. Even the Olympus E-420 is awkward compared to a pocket camera.

So tell us more about what you're shooting, when you want to have the camera with you, and what you really want. I think you're trying to have it all and that doesn't usually work. My hunch is you'll be happier with a new compact digital camera. But maybe not. Let's keep discussing. I'm happy to help you spend your money
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for your replies...Photo-John, the FM-10 is a great camera and I love it, I just wanted a nice digital camera as well, that also had an automatic setting so I didn't have to use the manual settings if I just wanted a quick picture. I know there is no camera that has all the features I want, but basically what I think I'm looking for is a good compact digital camera that has good image quality so I don't feel like I'm missing out by not having a DSLR...I would like to be able to use this camera for fun like if I'm hanging out with my friends or something, but also for when I want to take serious photos. I guess I'm asking for a lot in a compact camera, but I hope there is something out there that will fit my needs.

Budget?

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred22
    what I think I'm looking for is a good compact digital camera that has good image quality so I don't feel like I'm missing out by not having a DSLR...I would like to be able to use this camera for fun like if I'm hanging out with my friends or something, but also for when I want to take serious photos. I guess I'm asking for a lot in a compact camera, but I hope there is something out there that will fit my needs.
    I think you should keep the FM10 as your serious camera and wait on the DSLR. You can get a full-featured compact camera that will be easy to carry around and still have very good image quality. The quality of compact cameras has really come a long way in the past couple of years. I like the Canon PowerShot A-Series because they offer full manual exposure controls. I recommend getting something with image stabilization, too. What's your budget? Tell me how much you have to spend and I will give you some models to take a look at.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Yeah I think I will do that. My budget is around $500...Thank you for all of your help!

Liz

I thought you might be interested in reading this thread (below in same forum) which includes comments and links to reviews and images on a few cameras. Although there are only 3-4 cameras mentioned here - it may give you some idea of what is available.

Help Me Choose A Camera

Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I picked up my Canon G9 for under $500 and I'm really pleased with it.
    Of course it doesn't do everything I want, no camera ever will, but it does all that is important.
    I even managed to get some shots at Le Mans 24h with it.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I've heard some good things about the G9...I'll look into it. Thanks!

Re: Budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I think you should keep the FM10 as your serious camera and wait on the DSLR. You can get a full-featured compact camera that will be easy to carry around and still have very good image quality. The quality of compact cameras has really come a long way in the past couple of years. I like the Canon PowerShot A-Series because they offer full manual exposure controls. I recommend getting something with image stabilization, too. What's your budget? Tell me how much you have to spend and I will give you some models to take a look at.
    Ah, I see, I was wondering when Olympus would take that crown...

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I picked up my Canon G9 for under $500 and I'm really pleased with it.
    Of course it doesn't do everything I want, no camera ever will, but it does all that is important.
    I even managed to get some shots at Le Mans 24h with it.
    How is the image quality on the Canon G9?

Bleepin' splendid. It's not in the league of an SLR, but about as good as I think you could get with a P&S.

Really consider the Olympus E420. It's an SLR that's epicly minute.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Liz

The G9 has about the best IQ in a P&S - these are straight out of the camera.

Jersey Shore - new G9 camera

Liz

Wow those pictures look really great! I think I may get the G9

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

All of my "Road Home" thread images are with the G9.
    What really makes it for me is the RAW mode.

the road home III
    rush hour on the road home
    late road home
    the road to work
    a straight bit
    the road home II
    the road home I
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

those are beautiful!

Thread Information