Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Please help this 1.3MP owner upgrade to the best! (need advice)

I currently have an old school olympus 1.3 MP cam (from like 3 years ago lol) it has suited me quite well in that its very durable, and takes reasonable pics for a 1.3.

I also have a samsung scd-303 DV digital camcorder. The problem I find with this, is that I have all these tapes I never watch (a lot of work to get all of them on the comp).

I am looking at the new digital cameras out, and my hope is that I can sell the camcorder, and just use the video mode on the new camera. (will be keeping the old 1.3 just because its only worth about 35 bucks now)

The things I need are:
    DURABILITY! We love offroading and ATV'ing, and I always like to take vids/pics in the sand dunes. I also need a camera (after reading reviews, seems like not many can handle this) that can take good MOTION shots, IE jumping rc trucks (so instead of having a colored blurr, it shows the trucks details while in the air) and also for the atv'ing for good action shots.

The other thing I am concerned about is video quality. Since I am wanting to dump the camcorder, I need somthing with a high Frame rate, so the vids turn out good.

So far I am looking at the following Canon sd500

&

Canon sd550

^^ But, seems according to the reviews, the canons (especially the sd400/450 but the 500/550 as well) have issues with the LCD cracking, thus becoming useless. I do plan to get a good warranty with whatever I buy, but wouldnt be much fun if the camera broke out in the dunes (we only hit the dunes once a year).

then I am also looking at this camera:
    Sony DM-1

^^ What I like about it is the 30 FPS movie mode (supposedly the best in a digital camera yet) BUT I cant find the FPS rates on many other digi cams, so its hard to compare. I dont personally care for that fold/flip out design, as just seems like somthing else to go wrong. I just keep thinking bits of sand will get in between the two pieces, scratching it up. The other thing is this camera is only a 5.0 megapixel model. Does have the best videos, but people have noted the pictures are lacking. (I will be using the video mode probably 20% of the time)

My price range is pretty much unlimited, as I have been saving for one for a LONG time. It seems the most expensive digi cam out though currently is right at 500, and the couple I am looking at so far have been out a decent amount of time, so can be had for 350-450.

ANY help is greatly appreciated! I just know the basics on this stuff, and its really hard to judge a camera without using it for awhile (more than the crappy store displays) so first hand experiences are very helpful.

Thanks much in advance!

Re: Please help this 1.3MP owner upgrade to the best! (need advice)

Quote Originally Posted by R00ST650
    I currently have an old school olympus 1.3 MP cam (from like 3 years ago lol) it has suited me quite well in that its very durable, and takes reasonable pics for a 1.3.

I also have a samsung scd-303 DV digital camcorder. The problem I find with this, is that I have all these tapes I never watch (a lot of work to get all of them on the comp).

I am looking at the new digital cameras out, and my hope is that I can sell the camcorder, and just use the video mode on the new camera. (will be keeping the old 1.3 just because its only worth about 35 bucks now)

The things I need are:
    DURABILITY! We love offroading and ATV'ing, and I always like to take vids/pics in the sand dunes. I also need a camera (after reading reviews, seems like not many can handle this) that can take good MOTION shots, IE jumping rc trucks (so instead of having a colored blurr, it shows the trucks details while in the air) and also for the atv'ing for good action shots.

The other thing I am concerned about is video quality. Since I am wanting to dump the camcorder, I need somthing with a high Frame rate, so the vids turn out good.

So far I am looking at the following Canon sd500

&

Canon sd550

^^ But, seems according to the reviews, the canons (especially the sd400/450 but the 500/550 as well) have issues with the LCD cracking, thus becoming useless. I do plan to get a good warranty with whatever I buy, but wouldnt be much fun if the camera broke out in the dunes (we only hit the dunes once a year).

then I am also looking at this camera:
    Sony DM-1

^^ What I like about it is the 30 FPS movie mode (supposedly the best in a digital camera yet) BUT I cant find the FPS rates on many other digi cams, so its hard to compare. I dont personally care for that fold/flip out design, as just seems like somthing else to go wrong. I just keep thinking bits of sand will get in between the two pieces, scratching it up. The other thing is this camera is only a 5.0 megapixel model. Does have the best videos, but people have noted the pictures are lacking. (I will be using the video mode probably 20% of the time)

My price range is pretty much unlimited, as I have been saving for one for a LONG time. It seems the most expensive digi cam out though currently is right at 500, and the couple I am looking at so far have been out a decent amount of time, so can be had for 350-450.

ANY help is greatly appreciated! I just know the basics on this stuff, and its really hard to judge a camera without using it for awhile (more than the crappy store displays) so first hand experiences are very helpful.

Thanks much in advance!
    I'm not an expert on this by any means, but here are my thoughts.

If you want a really durable camera, get a pro level SLR or DSLR. They are built like tanks.

If you want to shoot moving subjects, a camera with built in stabilization (like the Minolta) or with stabilized lenses (Canon or Nikon) may be the way to go. There is an advanced compact digital camera model or two out there as well. (Konica comes to mind)

Also remember, that digital cameras are CAMERAS. Video is a secondary feature. If video quality is really important to you, you may want to buy a video recorder seperately.

I know this may not help you much, but those are my thoughts on the matter. You know your needs better than anyone else. Definitely read all the reviews you can on the models your are considering. Good luck!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Please help this 1.3MP owner upgrade to the best! (need advice)

Video is not important to me enough to buy another piece of equipment just for that, I just want as good as I can get (or close to it) in a digital camera.

I think I want to stick with a point and shoot just for the size and ease of use factor.
    Someone did point out the p200 which I am starting to like as it takes 30 fps vids and is actually a 7.2mp camera.

As of now the M1 on newegg.com is 423 /30fps max
    the p200 is 320 /30fps max
    the sd500 is 340 / Not listed on new egg (just says AVI)
    and the sd550 is 390 and it says the following:
    640 x 480/320 x 240 (30 fps/15 fps) available up to 1GB, 320 x 240 (1 min. at 60 fps), 160 x 120 (3 min. at 15 fps)

60 fps!?!? I dont see how the m1 could be the best video @ 30 fps when this can take a 60fps vid.

The size and ease of use factor

Quote Originally Posted by R00ST650
    Video is not important to me enough to buy another piece of equipment just for that, I just want as good as I can get (or close to it) in a digital camera.

I think I want to stick with a point and shoot just for the size and ease of use factor.
    Someone did point out the p200 which I am starting to like as it takes 30 fps vids and is actually a 7.2mp camera.

As of now the M1 on newegg.com is 423 /30fps max
    the p200 is 320 /30fps max
    the sd500 is 340 / Not listed on new egg (just says AVI)
    and the sd550 is 390 and it says the following:
    640 x 480/320 x 240 (30 fps/15 fps) available up to 1GB, 320 x 240 (1 min. at 60 fps), 160 x 120 (3 min. at 15 fps)

60 fps!?!? I dont see how the m1 could be the best video @ 30 fps when this can take a 60fps vid.
    I gotcha!

"Video is not important to me enough to buy another piece of equipment"

Then one of the advanced compacts is the way to go.

If you have a decent camera store near you, drive over and try as many of the models as you can.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information