Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Picture overexposure

I have a canon rebel xs. when i take pictures outside on a sunny day the pictures will white out or overexpose. the automatic setting is NOT correcting itself. i don't know why this is happening. we've had this problem since we bought the camera. my husband can go in manually when he's taking pictures and tweak the white balance/aperture, but shouldn't the automatic settings do it on their own?? anyone have any ideas as to why this could be happening.

Re: Picture overexposure

check to make sure the exposure compensation is set to 0
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

where would i find the exposure compensation on the canon rebel xs and will that change the "automatic" settings or just manual?? i know how to make the change in manual. i'm having the problems in automatic.

white balance and exposure are two completely different things. Adjusting the aperture will not change the automation either. Like dylan said, check your exposure compensation setting. Also check which metering mode you are using and make sure you are using it properly (Multi-Segment/Center Weighted).

*edit - exposure compensation is adjusted with the +/- button, and can be seen in your metering display on a bar with 10 notches, middle one saying "0". This can be seen on both your LCD and through your viewfinder. If it is already set to "0", you could even try reducing it a few notches until you get the right exposure.

drg

Quote Originally Posted by shuert4
    I have a canon rebel xs. when i take pictures outside on a sunny day the pictures will white out or overexpose. the automatic setting is NOT correcting itself. i don't know why this is happening. we've had this problem since we bought the camera. my husband can go in manually when he's taking pictures and tweak the white balance/aperture, but shouldn't the automatic settings do it on their own?? anyone have any ideas as to why this could be happening.
    Welcome to Photography Review !!

Does the camera do the same thing in both the Program Mode and in theauto mode(green rectangle)? Does the Auto Mode work in other circumstances?? Does the flash pop up when the photographs are overexposed??

If the flash is popping up, then use the Program Mode.

Another problem is that this camera model has had reports that in very bright (high noon, severe clear, outdoors, etc) it will not meter entirely accurately and overexpose. Very high contrast will seemingly trigger it too. Examples would be snow on trees, the beach, or even darker buildings like brick on a bright, but overcast day.

If this is what is going on, then you will need to shoot in Program Mode at the minimum to 'shift' the exposure/ISO/EV+/- etc. to compensate.

The meter could be out of calibration. It may have come that way which does happen, though unusual.

Try first the Program versus auto and make sure the flash isn't interfering. Then see how much you need to shift or change the exposure from what the camera 'tells' you is the best exposure to get an acceptable image. More than two full stops is way out of adjustment and needs recalibration. With the EOS dReb XS even more than 1 stop may be too much as it limited in Compensation adjustment.

Finally, what is your Camera Histogram telling you about the exposure? If it, the histogram, is shoved clear to the right and top or the overexposure warning is flashing on all or most of the displayed image that is a clear sign that the meter is being 'tricked' and setting the wrong parameters for the proper/best exposure.

Let us know what you find and best wishes!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information