Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Lightbulb Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5K ?

Last year I bought a Rebel XTi and love everything about it. However, I have also come down to wanting to record video as well, primarily for racing (drag racing, drifting, whatever).

I have been looking around and have run across the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5K:

• 4:3 Aspect Ratio: 640 x 480 pixels, 320 x 240 pixels 30 fps, 10 fps
    • 16:9 Aspect Ratio: 848 x 480 pixels 30 fps, 10 fps
    • HD (16:9 Aspect Ratio): 1280x720 30fps, 15fps
    More information:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz5/

The camera provides what appears to be to me (no expert) excellent photos as well, however for those I will use the XTi.

What my question is, for those who might own it, know someone who has it or knows more than I; would this be a good buy? Keep in mind I really don't want to spend a lot of money, hence the reason I was looking cheap and found this for $233 (Amazon).

I want to record in nice quality, as well as HD which this camera provides so it seems like the logical buy for me, but would love for some feedback.

Also, what would be the correct card to buy if I do go on with this, I hear for HD you need a certain MB/s card for it to record that high and am not to sure as to what to do and what would be a good size to get a fair amount of video?

Thank you for any help :thumbsup:

Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5K ?

Quote Originally Posted by HailttRedskins
    What my question is, for those who might own it, know someone who has it or knows more than I; would this be a good buy? Keep in mind I really don't want to spend a lot of money, hence the reason I was looking cheap and found this for $233 (Amazon).
    I don't own the TZ5, however I do have a similar Lumix model.

$233 is indeed a good buy for the TZ5, I usually see it priced around $300-$450.

One more thing you may want to consider: Do you mind shooting only through an LCD screen? Because the TZ5 has no VF. Also, you may want to actually go to a local camera store and find out how the hand grip feels, because different people have different sized hands.

If you are looking for real high-quality video, such as zooming/altering focus/pausing while recording, then I'd suggest to take a look at camcorders. Many of these also shoot photos - but you already have an XTi specializing in that.:thumbsup:
    Also, what would be the correct card to buy if I do go on with this, I hear for HD you need a certain MB/s card for it to record that high and am not to sure as to what to do and what would be a good size to get a fair amount of video?
    We're talking GBs here, not MBs! I would recommend getting a few 1 GBs or 2GBs. This will allow you to keep on shooting with the rest if one fails. 2 GBs should also be plenty of room for images/videos.

Quote Originally Posted by A.M.D.A.
    If you are looking for real high-quality video, such as zooming/altering focus/pausing while recording, then I'd suggest to take a look at camcorders. Many of these also shoot photos - but you already have an XTi specializing in that.:thumbsup:
    I was thinking of one, but for the nice high quality and HD they are in the thousand dollar price range which is a little to much for me. I want something small, cheap, but that will take nice high quality videos; of course I found this in the TZ5K.

We're talking GB/s here, not MB/s! I would recommend getting a few 1 GBs or 2GBs. This will allow you to keep on shooting with the rest if one fails. 2 GBs should also be plenty of room for images/videos.
    Are you sure about the GB/s? I recall the class 6 SD cards record up to 20MB/s. I understand about the size, however when recording in HD I hear you must have a card that can record at a certain speed otherwise the HD won't come out good or it can't be recorded at all, and then of course being that HD takes up more space I would need a big card.

Are you sure about the GB/s? I recall the class 6 SD cards record up to 20MB/s. I understand about the size, however when recording in HD I hear you must have a card that can record at a certain speed otherwise the HD won't come out good or it can't be recorded at all, and then of course being that HD takes up more space I would need a big card.
    I thought that you meant the capacity of the card, not the transfer rate. Sorry, but it was late up here and I guess my mind wasn't all that awake either!:blush2:

For transfer rate - yes it is about 20 MB per second what the fast memory cards will do.

Capacity - 1 GB/2 GB/4 GB should be a good idea. Also try to stick with known brands, such as Lexar, SanDisk or Panasonic.
    -------------------------------------
    Lastly, if you are happy with the TZ5, then get it. From what you've mentioned so far it sounds like this camera might well fit your needs.

Panasonic Lumix TZ-Series

Last year we did a pro review of the first Panasonic TZ-Series camera, the TZ3. And we're working on a combination review for the TZ4 and TZ5 right now. I don't believe we really covered the video functionality, but you can read last year's TZ3 review here:

Panasonic Lumix TZ3 Pro Review >>

I've been very impressed with the quality of current compact digital camera videos. I think it's reached the point where, for most people, it can replace a dedicated video camera. You do give up some features. I'm not sure about the TZ5, but I know it's pretty common for zoom to be unavailable when you're shooting video. Although I believe you can set it before you start shooting. You may also want to take a look at the newer Sony digital cameras. I know they've been making a serious push with compact cameras that have serious HD video capability. Take a look at their new Cybershot T500. It doesn't have the zoom range that the TZ5 has. But you can zoom while it's recording video.

For storage, you should get a fast SDHC card. "SDHC" stands for Secure Digital High Capacity. Lexar and Sandisk both make excellent, fast, reliable cards. And they don't cost much anymore. The lowest capacity SDHC is 4GB. Check camera specs to see how fast you'll fill the card and buy accordingly.

Hope that helps!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Panasonic Lumix TZ-Series

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Last year we did a pro review of the first Panasonic TZ-Series camera, the TZ3.
    Actually, there was also a TZ1 and TZ2.:yesnod:

Re: Panasonic Lumix TZ-Series

Take a look at their new Cybershot T500. It doesn't have the zoom range that the TZ5 has. But you can zoom while it's recording video.
    Thanks for the review, however you said, "but you can zoom while it's recording video." Did you meant to say you can't with the Cybershot? Or you couldn't with the TZ3 because I'm more than positive you can record with the TZ5 and I'm getting a bit confused right now.

For storage, you should get a fast SDHC card. "SDHC" stands for Secure Digital High Capacity. Lexar and Sandisk both make excellent, fast, reliable cards. And they don't cost much anymore. The lowest capacity SDHC is 4GB. Check camera specs to see how fast you'll fill the card and buy accordingly.
    Hope that helps!
    Do you know exactly how many MB/s is needed for HD Video? I've looked around for it, but I have no idea exactly how much is required. I believe it was 10, but I honestly am not sure.

Also, I hear sometimes it's not good to buy the big cards such as the 16GB because they can fail, I don't know if that is true or not, of course I'd rather carry one big card than 3 smaller cards, but whatever is more reliable is the way to go.

Last thing, at circuit city today I saw a like San Disk VideoHD card, would I need that or could I still go with the SDHC?

I thought that you meant the capacity of the card, not the transfer rate. Sorry, but it was late up here and I guess my mind wasn't all that awake either!:blush2:

For transfer rate - yes it is about 20 MB per second what the fast memory cards will do.

Capacity - 1 GB/2 GB/4 GB should be a good idea. Also try to stick with known brands, such as Lexar, SanDisk or Panasonic.
    -------------------------------------
    Lastly, if you are happy with the TZ5, then get it. From what you've mentioned so far it sounds like this camera might well fit your needs.
    I understand, thought it was a mistake, but better to check of course than to be wrong later.
    Last edited by HailttRedskins; 11-01-2008 at 01:24 PM.

It doesn't have the zoom range that the TZ5 has.
    ~The Sony Cybershot T500 doesn’t have that long 10x optical zoom which is charasteristic of the TZ5.

But you can zoom while it's recording video.
    ~The Sony Cybershot T500 can zoom in/out while recording video.

With the TZ5, you must set your zoom/focus before and then it is temporarily fixed while recording. When it stops recording, you can zoom/focus again.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Another advantage with the Sony is stereo sound, which is better than monaural.

Hope this cleared things up for you.

With the TZ5, you must set your zoom/focus before and then it is temporarily fixed while recording. When it stops recording, you can zoom/focus again.
    )
    I didn't know about this, exactly what do you have to do? Like is it hard or just a push of two buttons.

I didn't know about this, exactly what do you have to do? Like is it hard or just a push of two buttons.
    Very similar to what you'd with the XTi, except that there is no zoom ring - its a lever.

To zoom in/out, rock the lever back-and-forth.
    To AF, press the button in the center halfway down.
    To record video/take a photo, press the button all the way down.

Oh alright it shouldn't be that hard to do then, I thought it was a more complicated process.

Thread Information