Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: Batteries

Batteries

I am a newbie when it comes to digital cameras so bare with me. I got a digital camera a couple months ago. I have been using heavy duty batteries and it seems like I am changing them after about 20 pictures. Is this normal or is it a problem with the camera? I have been trying to save money and I feel like I am being robbed here. I am wondering if I should try alakline batteries even though I will end up spending a little more. Any help or suggestions?

Re: Batteries

what kind of camer is it? The cameras I have have rechargeable batteries... It seems like I remember an old digital camera a friend of mine had that ate up batteries.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photogirl6
    I am a newbie when it comes to digital cameras so bare with me. I got a digital camera a couple months ago. I have been using heavy duty batteries and it seems like I am changing them after about 20 pictures. Is this normal or is it a problem with the camera? I have been trying to save money and I feel like I am being robbed here. I am wondering if I should try alakline batteries even though I will end up spending a little more. Any help or suggestions?
    Cameras eat up batteries quickly. Using old-style zinc batteries just isn't going to work. At a minimum, you need alkalines. Your best bet is to use rechargable nickel-hydride batteries.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Alkalines are great. I had the same problem when I first got my camera. I'd get maybe 12-13 hi-res photos before the LCD would start to flicker and I'd get a battery warning. Switching to alkaline I get about 4 times as many shots out of my camera.

I'd skip the alkalines and get a couple sets of NiMH rechargables and a charger. They'll replace literally hundreds of sets of alkaline batteries, and perform better than alkaline batteries.

The only two drawbacks of them are they will slowly loose their charge just sitting, so you need to keep them charged, and the relatively high up front cost (~$12/4 AAs and at least $10 more for a charger). In the long run, they're much cheaper than alkalines.

I've owned two AA powered cameras, and if I'd used alkalines, I'd have spent a whole lot more on batteries than on the cameras.

There is no good reason to use non-rechargable AA batteries for anything.

24 pack of 2300 mAh NiMH batteries for $30. I have some from here and they are wonderful. http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=245

if your camera takes normal batteries i'd definately use alkaline batteries. Those heavy duty ones won't last at all...especially when you start using your review screen to see what you have taken!

Thread Information