Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Out with old, what now ??

Hi, I have just sold my Canon G2 which I loved for its usability (all shots ever taken with Auto setting :-) and always happy with it too!), but in the end too big to carry around. Also I have just sold my Sony Cybershot CSU-30, which was excellent to carry around, and such a quick startup even with flash :-) but didn't quite cut it with picture quality, especially in poor lit conditions :-(

Thing is, what do I replace it with ??? I'm looking for sommit ideally not a lot bigger than the Sony, but would really like quality of pics and prints like the G2.

Is this possible ???

I've love any help you can give, or advice on camera's you think might fit my criteria.

Many thinks in advance

Paul.

Canon S50?

The Canon S50 might be perfect. It's got the same functionality as the G2, the same 5 megapixel sensor that's in the G5, and it will be faster than your G2 since it has the Digic processor. Seems like a pretty easy choice to me.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Cool I agree with PJ.........great camera

Check out the review section here on the S50 and the A80. Both are wonderful cameras. The A80 is 4mp.....but has a flexible LCD screen altho smaller, than the G2. Personally I like the feel of the S50 better - personal preference. Actually, it's a good idea to go into a camera or electronic store & just get the feel of the cameras - which one feels better in your hands.

Here's the link to both reviews.....

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/pscCame...S_4337crx.aspx

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_W
    Hi, I have just sold my Canon G2 which I loved for its usability (all shots ever taken with Auto setting :-) and always happy with it too!), but in the end too big to carry around. Also I have just sold my Sony Cybershot CSU-30, which was excellent to carry around, and such a quick startup even with flash :-) but didn't quite cut it with picture quality, especially in poor lit conditions :-(

Thing is, what do I replace it with ??? I'm looking for sommit ideally not a lot bigger than the Sony, but would really like quality of pics and prints like the G2.

Is this possible ???

I've love any help you can give, or advice on camera's you think might fit my criteria.

Many thinks in advance

Paul.

Thanks a lot John & Liz. I've had a look at both, and feel the S50 seems fav. IF, I was to look for smaller, maybe not a lot bigger than the Sony, is there anything on the market worth looking at ?

Thanks again

Paul

Liz

Cool An excellent small camera

for you might be the Canon S400. I reread your original post - and since you liked using the G2 in auto, the s400 might be the way to go. It's very small - doesn't have all the manual options, etc. as some others, but a great camera. Michael Fanelli (dig camera moderator) loves his, and others have expressed this is a good camera. Many people use it as their carry around camera.

Here are the specs

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

Here are the Reviews:

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/pscCame...8_4337crx.aspx

Liz

Thanks a lot John & Liz. I've had a look at both, and feel the S50 seems fav. IF, I was to look for smaller, maybe not a lot bigger than the Sony, is there anything on the market worth looking at ?

Thanks again

Paul

Cheers Liz, I've definately found my replacement now :-) The S400 really seems to be all I want from a camera. I am aware better shots can be taken with adjustments to the settings, but I really am a point and shoot kinda photographer.

I know some would say go do your research yourself! but as you ppl know your stuff, I thought it would be easier to post my requiremnets and see what I get back.

Cheers for all your help, now I just gotta get one :-)

Paul.

Hi again, and just to finalise. I have just ordered a Canon IXUS 400 from the net. I paid £248 inc next day delivery :-) which was best price after a fair bit of surfing.

Just gotta wait now for me new toy ...lol

Thx again for the advice, I'm sure this will fit the bill just fine :-)

Liz

Cool Congratulations! Ask Michael Fanelli about the s400

he's had his for quite a while and really enjoys it - says it takes great pics. Great every day carry around camera.

Your next step is to post some pics! I'm happy you made your decision. It took me forever to make a decision for a small camera. However, I knew I wanted the Digital Rebel from the minute they announced it - and I've never been disappointed.

Enjoy your new toy! It does have some nice features and a few manual options. Just read the manual. After the G2 which is quite a different camera altogether, it will take some getting used to so be patient. You'll be happy with it, I'm sure ;) .

Liz

Hi again, and just to finalise. I have just ordered a Canon IXUS 400 from the net. I paid £248 inc next day delivery :-) which was best price after a fair bit of surfing.

Just gotta wait now for me new toy ...lol

Thx again for the advice, I'm sure this will fit the bill just fine :-)

Thx Liz :-) Would you believe a friend popped round today and had his IXUS L1 with him which unless I'm wrong, is exactly the same size so had a lil play with it and the size is fine for my needs. A bit taller than the DSC-U30, but small enough to hang from my neck (as I do ...lol).

I have one worry if you can iron this one out at all ?? My friend thinks he knows everything about camera's (but actually not a lot! ...lol, you know the type!) Well he says I will be taking a backstep in picture quality over my old G2 as any camera with a small lens, can NEVER produce pics of the quality of say the G2. I understand very little myself, and altho both are 4Mega Pixels, the S400 does have quite a bit smaller lens from what I see.

Is there any sense in what he says ?? or is it all twaddle ???

lol

Cheers

Paul.

Liz

Some truth .........

The photo quality of the s400 is fine according to the reviews. However, there is some truth in what your friend is telling you about the optical quality of the G2/G3 and probably G5. These cameras have a reputation for their above average optical quality as a digital p&s, plus they are the only digital p&s with an aperture of 2.0 (vs 2.8 on most others).

One reason I chose the G3 as a 2nd camera vs the smaller compacts is due to the aperture of f2.0 - it helps immensely with my slight camera shake problem. After weeks of looking, I finally found a dealer that got one of Canon's last shipments of new G3's. Of course, as you know, the size & weight of the G's are the downside and most people prefer the smaller camera. The s400 is probably the most popular.

I wouldn't worry about the optics of the s400, or compare it to the G2. All digital cameras have their pros & cons. There is no perfect camera. The s400 seems like it's the type of camera you've been looking for. I think you'll be happy with your choice. If you're not satisfied with the images, there must be a return policy. But give it a chance to prove it to you!

Liz

Thx Liz :-) Would you believe a friend popped round today and had his IXUS L1 with him which unless I'm wrong, is exactly the same size so had a lil play with it and the size is fine for my needs. A bit taller than the DSC-U30, but small enough to hang from my neck (as I do ...lol).

I have one worry if you can iron this one out at all ?? My friend thinks he knows everything about camera's (but actually not a lot! ...lol, you know the type!) Well he says I will be taking a backstep in picture quality over my old G2 as any camera with a small lens, can NEVER produce pics of the quality of say the G2. I understand very little myself, and altho both are 4Mega Pixels, the S400 does have quite a bit smaller lens from what I see.

Is there any sense in what he says ?? or is it all twaddle ???

lol

Cheers

Paul.

Ok well maybe he is right this time ...lol, but altho my G2 is sold, it is still with me for a week or so and my S400 is due any day so i'll compare the two and see b4 I let the G2 go. I've always liked the pics the G2 gave me, but it really is just too big and heavy to hang from my neck ...lol. My Sony was perfect, it just didn't cut it for quality especially in the dark :-(

Oh well, time will tell.

Thx again for your advice all :-)

Paul.

Liz

Good Idea.........but

I have a feeling the s400 will meet your expectations in every way! I think your reasons for choosing this one will win out. Keep us updated!

Liz

Ok well maybe he is right this time ...lol, but altho my G2 is sold, it is still with me for a week or so and my S400 is due any day so i'll compare the two and see b4 I let the G2 go. I've always liked the pics the G2 gave me, but it really is just too big and heavy to hang from my neck ...lol. My Sony was perfect, it just didn't cut it for quality especially in the dark :-(

Oh well, time will tell.

Thx again for your advice all :-)

Paul.

Yeah will do fa sure :-) You said about posting some pics when I have them, how do you do this ?

Paul.

Thread Information