Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Liz

Help......flare or defect?

Recently I got a 2nd camera to carry around with me. It's a G3 (yea a bit heavy, but great optics!). I've noticed much more flare than normal. I sold my old G3 to get the digital Rebel. I never had anything like this - and the friend who purchased my camera never had this type of problem.

Here's a typical image - the sun was on the left here. I know some flare is normal, but is this normal? I have a bunch of others like it. Please notice the larger (but more difficult to see here) red circle on the lower right.

I have a couple more days to exchange it (while they have more left)....so I need a quick reply. I appreciate any advice I can get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help......flare or defect?-img_3882.jpg  

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Lightbulb

just a guess, but it looks as if you have/had 1 piece of dust? on the lens and each "flare" is from the reflexion on each element?

try cleaning the lens with air and reshoot ASAP......same angle to the sun
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Recently I got a 2nd camera to carry around with me. It's a G3 (yea a bit heavy, but great optics!). I've noticed much more flare than normal. I sold my old G3 to get the digital Rebel. I never had anything like this - and the friend who purchased my camera never had this type of problem.
    This looks like a classic case of just shooting too close to the sun. A makeshift lens hood or even shading the lens with your hand should eliminate the problem.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information