Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Ordered my new digital

I have seriously been looking for a new digital camera to supplement my pocket 7mp Kodak for the last four months. After reading hundreds of expert and user reviews I chose the Fuji s200exr. I went back and forth on if I should get a dslr or an advanced point and shoot and in the end I decided to go with the advanced p+s. I have two 35mm slr's (Canon T-70 and a Nikon F65) that I still use and I just did not want to build another whole system and it just wasn't in the budget. I realize the Fuji will not produce the same quality images as a dslr but, most of the reviews rate the s200exr image quality as excellent to very good and it shoots video (not sure how much I will use that fuction) . B+G had it for $419.00 ($499.00 MSRP) which put it in the upper range of my budget. It was not the lowest price but, I have dealt with B+G with good results in the past. Wish me luck.

Promo video http://finepix.com/movie/s200exr/en/ You may want to turn the sound off.
    Last edited by xjken99; 04-28-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Re: Ordered my new digital

Congratulations on your camera and good luck. I haven't had a chance to use one of Fuji's new EXR cameras yet. In fact, I need to put in a request for a review camera. I like the sensor concept and the cameras are the right size. I'm most interested in the new FinePix F80EXR because it's got 10x optical zoom lens along with the EXR sensor in a pocket-sized package. In fact, I'm gonna put in a request for a review unit, right now

Please make sure to write a review for your S200EXR once you've used it for a bit. Fujifilm is a bit of an underdog and we need more user reviews for their cameras. Here's a link to that review page:

Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I have never written a review of anything before but, I will give it a try. Maybe a learn as I go type of thing. It is suppose to arrive on Monday, probably would have gotten it today if UPS delivered on Saturdays. Oh well. Just curious, is anyone else shooting with the s200exr? If you are I would appreciate any tips or tricks you may have picked up along the way.

I've had my s200exr for a little over a week now and even though I have a lot to learn I have taken some of my best pictures ever. Tonight I find out that Fuji has discontinued it. I know that things are moving fast but, it seems that Fuji has replaced the s200 with the HS10 which going by everything I have read is inferior to the s200.

Fujifilm S200EXR vs HS10

Thanks for writing your S200EXR review! I saw it and it's a very good review. You did good

What are people saying about the HS10 vs the S200EXR? The HS10 has a new CMOS sensor and I believe it's lower resolution. So on the surface that might not look as good. But those lower resolution CMOS sensors are the current trend with the high-end compact cameras. They're moving that direction to get more out of the tiny compact camera sensors. I haven't done a comparison myself. But I would expect that the HS10 has better low light image quality than the S200EXR. Anyway, I'm curious about what people are saying about the HS10. It looked really good to me when I saw it at PMA.
    Photo-John

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by xjken99
    I've had my s200exr for a little over a week now and even though I have a lot to learn I have taken some of my best pictures ever. Tonight I find out that Fuji has discontinued it. I know that things are moving fast but, it seems that Fuji has replaced the s200 with the HS10 which going by everything I have read is inferior to the s200.
    Congratulations on your new camera! I'm glad you're happy with it. Also - don't worry about your new camera being replaced already because that's par-for-the-course today. It's almost like cameras are looked at as disposable they come out so fast. At any rate, I hope you will post some of your photos.

Enjoy!

Liz

Thanks for the positive comments on my review. After I wrote it I sat there for at least 10 minutes trying to decide if I should submit it or cancel it. I have had it out almost everyday since I got it, shooting mostly nature, floral and landscapes. When I get the chance I will post some up. I have been playing around in the manual mode the past few days with limited success. I have been trying to blur this water flowing over some rocks but it keeps overexposureing the pics. The smallest f-stop is 11 and I think under bright sunlight I have yet to find the best combo.

Quote Originally Posted by xjken99
    I have been trying to blur this water flowing over some rocks but it keeps overexposureing the pics. The smallest f-stop is 11 and I think under bright sunlight I have yet to find the best combo.
    For blurred water photos, make sure you're manually selecting the lowest ISO. You may need to try when the light is different, too. Photographers often use neutral density filters for longer exposures in bright light. You could also use a polarizer.
    Photo-John

Congratulations on your new camera

Thread Information