Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Olympus Pen versus Canon T1i Rebel

I'm looking for a high-definition camera that would give me a little more artistic control than a regular point-and-shoot, and the ability to use different lenses (macro in particular). I am trying to decide between the Olympus Pen

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035LBRJO/...3960_pe_vfe_t1

and the Canon T1i Rebel

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Digi...7300060&sr=8-2

I like the HD video feature (although I'd want audio to be good too, if anyone has had experience with that with these cameras). Are there any reasons I should lean towards purchasing one over the other? Or are there other cameras I should consider in this category/price range? I'm not too concerned with portability; more with image quality and features. Thanks very much.
    Last edited by chris paget; 06-23-2010 at 08:13 AM.

JimB

Re: Olympus Pen versus Canon T1i Rebel

Hi,

Coose the Canon.
    Canon has many more lenses available, abit more resolution, and has more latitude in exposure controls than the Olympus Pen. In my opinion having a view finder is a diffinate plus instead of a E.V.F. and Live View.

Other Cameras I would recomend is
    1. Canon T2i
    2. Nikon D90
    3. Nikon D5000

JimB

Chris - what you posted are two very different cameras. If you are not concerned with 'portability' I dont know why you picked the pen in the first place, as thats its main attraction. Anyway, if size does not matter, then the Canon would be the easy pick. But theres a lot that can be said about the convenience and discretion of a micro-four thirds.

Other cameras worth looking at depends on how attached you are to the HD video feature, and what your budget is.

Neither of these cameras record in formats that are immediately supported by FCE. You'd have to use the free MPEG Streamclip to convert the material into something FCE could edit.
    At first glance it appears that the T1i records in a format that would be easier to convert to editable material.

Thread Information