Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Novice but need specialized camera

Hi, I am looking for a camera that I don't have to manually fiddle with settings. But.....I need a terrific zoom, wide angle, sharp clear photos that I may or may not print as large as 16 x 20. Don't need video. I will be taking shots of my husband surfing. I will be on the beach. I also have a very active grandson and would like some shots of him in action as well as some posing pics. So inside and outside pictures. I think that's it.
    My current camera, JVC HDD Camcorder Everio, 32X optical zoom is good for video but is a bust for stills. Blurred and a lot of red color in pics.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Dianne

Re: Novice but need specialized camera

Printing as large as 16x20 - you will have to at least have a fundamental knowledge of photography and exposure. You can get it with point and shoots - but, automatic modes may cause serious problems for printing photo's that large. As such, you'll need to at least understand basics like white balance, shutter speed and ISO.

Basically, what I am saying is - do not be intimidated to "fiddle with settings", and its an moot issue anyway. The only cameras minus full automatic modes cost $2K+ (because nobody pays $2 grand to put a camera in automatic mode), any digital camera under that will have a slew of automatics, including the generic auto and sports auto. Some will have other auto modes that others don't, but its all off in the wash. Frankly, I would prefer a world where automatic mode cameras did not exist, and I always prefer my equipment void of such modes.

For the portrait work you want to be doing, you'll want something with a good color balance. Particularly look for something with custom white balance option. With custom white balance, just click it, point the center of the camera at something solid white (a white business card even does the trick), click, boom - color balanced. This may be 'fiddling with settings', but it also can be the simple difference between goofy green/pink skin tones and vibrant accurate skin tones (its good for everything, but it particularly matters when dealing with skin tones).

If you could say what budget you are wanting to work with, what aesthetics and what size would fit your criteria, I think we could show you a few good digicam options.

Re: Novice but need specialized camera

Thanks for the insight. You gave me a lot to research and learn.
    I think $300 to $400 range. Also, I like the "handle" on some cameras. By that I mean the handle like curve on the right hand side of the camera. I don't want a heavy camera.
    What is SLR vs. ? something else?
    Thanks again
    Dianne

Thread Information