Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Nikon S8100 vs ZS7 vs sx210

I just purchased the Nikon S8100 and and contemplating exchanging it for either a canon sx210 or a panasonic zs7 which I could buy for literally the same price. I really like the S8100 but I've heard of mixed reviews concerning image quality--some say it is merely average whereas others say it is in the top for point and shoot cameras. Generally, I get the feeling that the zs7 has the best image quality but this website suggests that it doesnt...From someone who has played around with all of these cameras, can you give me some insight into the differences in image quality and general performance?

I would have gotten the zs7 but I have something against panasonics interface--I previously owned a panasonic camera and the interface looks like a cheap mobile phone. Whereas the Nikons interface isnt anything revolutionary it still feels like a camera interface.

Anyway, Please give me your opinions, and possibly post up some comparison pictures between the cameras.

Thanks!

Romaf06

Re: Nikon S8100 vs ZS7 vs sx210

Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, romaf06!

I've used the Nikon S8100 and the Canon SD4500 IS both extensively and I think they're pretty comparable in terms of image quality. I haven't used the Panasonic but other than the LX-Series, I have not been overly impressed with the Panasonic compact cameras' image quality. I would be very surprised if the ZS7 is as goood as either the Canon SD450O IS or the Nikon S8100.

I would leave the SX210 IS out of it if it's image quality you're after. The Canon SD4500 IS has Canon's best compact camera imaging technology in a low, 10-megapixel sensor. There's no way the 14-megapixel SX210 IS is going to be able to compete. In my opnion, the only cameras that are going to be better are cameras with physically bigger sensors. And for that you're going to have to give up the superzoom lens. Those cameras are the Canon PowerShot S95, the new Olympus XZ-1, the Panasonic LX5, and the like. But those cameras cost more, only the Canon will really fit in a pocket and they have much shorter zoom ranges.

If you want to see what can be done with the Nikon S8100, here's a gallery of photos I've posted here:

Nikon Coolpix S8100 Gallery >>

I also have controlled studio tests at all ISO settings but I haven't had a chance to set them up and upload them yet. When they're done they'll be listed on our Sample Photo Page.

The one camera I'm really curious about as far as image quality goes is the Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR . The Fujifilm EXR sensor strategy is very interesting. I haven't really had any experience with one of their EXR sensor cameras but other reports are very positive. Fujifilm also just announced a new pocket superzoom last month, the FinePix F550 EXR, with a 15x zoom lens and a 16-megapixel CMOS sensor.

Anyway, you already have the Nikon S8100. My recommendation is to stick with it unless you want a completely different kind of camera. My experience has been very positive and I get to use a lot of cameras.

Let me know if you have more questions. But I think that's a pretty comprehensive answer
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Nikon S8100 vs ZS7 vs sx210

If I have access to a Nikon SB-28, can I use it on the hotshoe of a G12 without risk of camera damage?

If so, I would assume I could use it in manual mode - what about the flashs automatic mode using its sensor?

Could I use it with a Nikon SC-17 off camera cord?

Anything else to know?

Thanks.

Please Re-Post

Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, HandedJack! Do me a favor and please start a new thread for your question. It's not related to the thread you posted it in and it deserves its own discussion.

Thanks!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Nikon S8100 vs ZS7 vs sx210

Tried Nikon S8100 but its results were not that satisfactory. Want to switch to a new one. Which one w'd u recommend?

Thread Information