Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

nikon p90 or canon sx 1 Is

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to all, ok people this im sure has been ask a million times but here it goes. i wanted a p&s camera, so looked and found a coolpix p90 on sale at costco for 279.99. got the camera home liked it a lot, its a nikon plus my grandfather loved nikon. So i went online to research it (i know i should have done it first) but thats old news. Some reviews were good some bad, my question is is the canon sx 1 Is, a better camera than the p90 i know there is a price jump with the canon but im willing to pay for it if its a better camera. im new to digital but want a camera that i will not out grow if that makes sense. it will be used for home, sport events,and everything under the sun if you know what i mean! thanks for your in put.

Re: nikon p90 or canon sx 1 Is

I don't see any good reason to switch from the P90 to the Canon. It's likely the Canon does have better image quality. But not enough better to justify changing cameras. Plus, your Nikon has a longer zoom range. If you really want something better you should be looking at digital SLRs. That's where you'll see a really noticeable image quality and performance benefit. Otherwise, stick with the Nikon and take lots of pictures. More pictures and learning to know your camera well is usually a better way to improve your photos than buying a new camera
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: nikon p90 or canon sx 1 Is

Quote Originally Posted by photograham
    Spend a few days practicing with different settings and you'll be happier with your camera
    Good advice. A lot of the time when we want to upgrade, learning to understand our camera better or improving our technique are better solutions. And for beginners, the problem usually lies with the photographer and not the camera. That's ok - we all need to learn. But digital cameras aren't as magical as the camera marketers would have us believe
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information