Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Nikon Coolpix vs. Canon IXUS... Help! :)

I'm looking to buy a nice little point'n'shoot digital camera, to go along side my DSLR, which I also haven't bought yet. Hehee. Anyway! My point'n'shoot will basically be used as a 'go anywhere' camera for casual times, whereas my DSLR will be more important, of course!

So I've been doing a bit of research, and had narrowed my choices down to the Nikon CoolPix 4600, or the Canon IXUS 30... Neither of them are top of the range, but as I said, I just want it to use as a nice little happy camera to tag along with me.

I've been reading reviews of them both, and have discovered the following things...

* Nikon CoolPix 4600 is apparently tremendously slow and shuts down the LCD screen in order to boost the flash after using it. Is this right? Is it dodgy!?

* Canon IXUS 30 is apparently very flimsy and feels like it could break easily.

Augh! Have I chosen the two most unreliable cameras out there?! Can anyone suggest anything better? Or make any comments about the two I fancied?

Thankyou!!

PS. I really loved the look of the Nikon CoolPix 4600... Mostly because it comes in pink!

Re: Nikon Coolpix vs. Canon IXUS... Help! :)

Canon tends to be a bit more user friendly, and I prefer the image quality, color, saturation ....ect.

Nikons are usually built a lil' better, though in lower classes I can't really be sure there would be a difference.

Based on the merits of those two camers you listed, I would get the Canon. The ixus 30 (PowerShot SD200) clearly has the manual advantage over the Nikon.

Here is a side by side comparison of these 2 modles.

I hope this helps.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information