Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: New Sony W200

New Sony W200

I have purchased a Sony W200. At 12.1 MP it only can hold 6 pictures. The feature of VGA holds around 200. What I'm wanting to know is: Is the VGA pictures at the same quality as the 12.1 setting? Thank you..have a great day

Scott

Re: New Sony W200

Scott-
    Congratulations on the new camera. I believe that was the first 12-megapixel compact digital camera introduced. So you, my friend, are ahead of the curve!

The answer you your question is, no. The VGA and the 12-megapixel setting are nothing alike. The camera has built-in memory. That's where it's storing the 6 pictures you refer to. But it's not meant to be used that way. You need to buy a memory card to take full advantage of your camera. I would recommend a minimum 1 gig card. You shuld be able to buy one at your local Target, Best Buy, or WalMart. But if you use the camera in VGA mode you are wasting your money. You paid for 12 million pixels of resolution. VGA is only 640x480, or about 300,000 pixels. The image quality of the two resolutions are worlds - no - galaxies apart.

Hope that helps. Seems like you've got some learning to do about your camera and digital cameras in general. Please feel free to ask more questions. We'll be here for you. And to get you started, take a look at my Point-and-Shoot Digital Camera Tips article. That will teach you some of the basics about your camera and how to take better pictures.

Good luck with it and hope to see you back soon!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information