Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

New to Photography - Camera help please.

Hi Guys,
    :idea:
    In Easter I am going to Malaysia with my University andI am currently looking for a digital SLR camera to buy for the trip. I have no experience in photography and all this camera talk is very confusing as there seem to be many split reviews about alot of cameras.
    I am going to be in Malaysia for 2 weeks on the field trip then travelling around with friends for 2 weeks probably visiting Thailand and maybe some other places. On the field trip my group will be researching 2 species of spiders although this is not the main reason for me wanting to get a camera, it would be nice to get some good photo's of them.

So could you help reccomend me a decent camera to start with, also I am worried about the humidity/rain whilst out there although a guy in Jessops shop said that his colleague had taken one of the cannon models as it was in a storm in the rainforest and was fine.

I was looking at the Fujifilm Finepix HS10 as I thought it looked good but then I don't know what I'm talking about really, I found the panorama shooting (I think it's called that) attractive but on reading some reviews that parts of the pictures my be blured so am not really sure, Also I do not think you are able to change the lense which kind of put me off as I think it would be a nice option if i really got into photography

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by PlumpSamurai; 11-21-2010 at 05:39 AM.

Re: New to Photography - Camera help please.

To be accurate, you are not talking about a DSLR, but about a DSLR-Like camera.
    The HS10 is a great camera for general purpose and also for macro photography - that would be good for taking shots of the spiders you'll be researching.
    Another option is Canon's new SX30 which allows you to get as close as you want to the spiders, up to 0cm. Both cameras are excellent buys, you'll be happy with any of them.
    My compact digital camera guide - eyalg.com

ah ok well I think I may prefer to get a DSLR but shall see if any others are recommended, I did also read that the HS10 is slow at writing the images which gets annoying

Getting a DSLR for macro photography will cost you at least $1000.
    If you know little about cameras and photography,
    you will feel much more comfortable with a camera like the HS10 or the SX30.

taking pictures of the spiders we are studying is not the main reason for me wanting a camera, mainly to take some nice photo's while i travel. Is Macro photography taking pictures of things close up?

Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by eyalg
    Yes, exactly.
    So you don't think i should get another camera even if i may decide i want another camera that i can change lenses on?

Why is it that you want to change lenses? The benefit of changing lens is maximizing the potential within range, but not extending range.

But one thing is for sure - to get any sort of benefit from DSLR over point and shoot will require some amount of knowledge and technical know-how. If you just throw it in auto - all you've really done is spend extra on a bigger, bulkier camera.

I think you should get a DSLR-Like camera.
    It will feel nice in your hand, it will allow fully automatic operation,
    an huge zoom range, macro capabilities and compactness.
    For a DSLR to offer all of those capabilities, you would have to invest a very large amount of money, and you would end up with a bag full of equipment.
    If you're not sure, go to a real store and hold the HS10 or the SX30 in your hands
    and see how well they suit your needs.

Yeah thanks, I think I will go and have a look in a store. The only thing that would put me off i think for the HS10 is if the shutter time.
    This is a table i found online about the HS10
    One Photo 0.45
    Five Photos 17.39
    One Photo With Flash 1.68
    Five Photos With Flash 19.58

I had a quick go with the HS10 and I think I would prefer a SLR even though it would take more learning. I noticed that the HS10 was slow as other people had said online and in reviews So I think I will have a look at some SLR's.

I guess i would be able to get the same zoom as the HS10 if i brought a lense that size? Also, if i wanted to do macro (is that close up ?) does it matter on the lense?

Thanks

Thread Information