Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: New Guy

New Guy

Hello all, I'm not new to taking pictures (if that what I can call it) But I am new to the SLR cameras. Up until today I had really just used a point and shoot camera to take pictures of my hobby. I collect watches and love taking Macro shots. The problem is I really suck at it. So I received a gift from my lovely wife a Olympus 510 SLR camera for my birthday. Problem is I have found out quickly that.....I'm in really deep trouble. I can't use the same techniques(if you can call it that) to take pictures. Sooooooo I NEED HELP!!! First I am baffled at the settings I need. Everything I have tried leaves me depressed. I have a better camera but worse pics. Suggestions?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: New Guy

Welcome to the forums.
    You will be able to get better macro shots with your dslr but it will take some learning and probably a macro lense or some extension tubes.
    The best thing to do for people here to help you would be to post a shot or two and we could probably guide you in what you'll need to learn and/or do.
    Good luck!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

You need to pay much more attention, and be much more conscious of your metering, pay more attention to your focus type, and focus point, and be more familiar with your lens. Once you are, you probably won't want to touch your old point and shoot ever again ;)

Macro's are a heck of a lot of fun, and when very few subjects or scenery around to shoot, you can always find something fun for macro. BUT, Macros are much more difficult - they have much narrower depth of field (due to enlarged magnification), their is significantly more camera shake, and composing (by hand) is a lot more difficult.

look at these two images

one is shot at f/6.3, the other is shot at f/2.8

The ant in the grass is clearly the f/2.8 - giving me great shutter speed leverage but very narrow depth of field. The ant on the gravel was the f/6.3, it gave me very little shutter leverage, but much wider depth of field. Wide depth of field is not always a good thing, in fact, it usually is not. A very precisely controlled but very narrow depth of field is much more ideal (as narrow as you can make it, anyway).

To learn to use your camera you will need to understand enough to triangulate a metetring formula for each and every shot you take, if you keep throwing it in auto mode, it just won't work. Learn ISO, Aperture (F-stop), and shutter speed. Within each of those is an abyss of technical detail that you could drown in, but the better you understand it, the more your images will reflect your understanding.

I don't much care for many of the books about 'how to use a camera', I found learning about the science of sensors and optics to give me a better more personal understanding of metering. Learn your lens' and your sensor, and you will master your camera.

And finally - stick around here! This is a great community of great photographers and they can and will be very helpful.

Welcome! Macros are a lot of fun. I started shooting last fall and went through a couple of months of macro-frustration. For me, getting everything to hold perfectly still was the key. A good tripod was a must. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

This is with my P&S:

This with my 510:

As you can see they both suck!! HELP!!!!!!!

Get more perpendicular to the watch.

That second watch was not taken with a 510, the exif data says it was taken with a Powershot A560. ??? Whats going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Get more perpendicular to the watch.

That second watch was not taken with a 510, the exif data says it was taken with a Powershot A560. ??? Whats going on here?
    OOPS!! Sorry!! I grabbed the recent pics I took off of photobucket. I think I just got confused with the ones I cut and pasted. I'm really sorry still new at this.
    This is the 510:
    Last edited by amwilliams9; 05-01-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Liz

Welcome to the forum! I agree with the others - macro is a challenge! However, once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun.

Which lens are you using with your new Olympus? The lens is the key! As the poster above mentioned, you will most likely need a tripod to produce good macro images. Camera shake has to be taken into consideration when you're doing macro photography. Your shot isn't bad - and with a little work, you might be able to improve it quite a bit. Lighting is also very important with macro shots, so maybe the aperture on your lens isn't letting in enough light.

I would suggest picking up a book on macro photography which will help you understand exposure, techniques, etc. Actually I'm cleaning out my photography equipment right now and would be happy to send you a wonderful (used) book "The Complete Guide To Close-up & Macro Photography" by Paul Harcourt Davies. It was written in the "film" days, but it is all about exposure, technique, what to look for, and includes a lot of information - it's a fun book to read, you learn a lot - and it's inspiring. If you're interested - send me a pm and I'll be happy to "donate" it to the cause. It's been sitting around on my shelves for a few years now.

Liz

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'm no expert but aside from the bg and lighting, your shot with the 510 does appear sharper to me.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Well, that image has no exif data so I can't tell what your exposure settings were. But, for this specific purpose - very fundamental technique would be to place the watch exactly paralel to the image plane, this way perspective distortion, and dof distortion are both entirely eliminated, and it brings everything into proper focus area.

Thread Information