Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

New To DSLRs. I Need Lens Help. PLEASE!

I recently bought a Nikon D5000. I have the Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens, and it works nicely. However, I would like to get a lens that allows me to get very close to an object, such as when I am taking photographs of animals that are far away. My sister has the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens. When I tried the 18-200mm lens on my D5000, it did not seem to zoom in very close to an object. In fact, I was able to get closer to the object with my 55-200mm lens. I do not understand if I am doing something wrong; I thought that since the 18-200mm lens is an 11x zoom lens I would be able to get closer to the object I was picturing.

Would the Nikkor 70-300 mm lens be a better lens for my D5000?

Thanks for the help.

Basil

Re: New To DSLRs. I Need Lens Help. PLEASE!

The 200mm is the long focal length, so both of the x-200mm have the same reach (within design variations). The 300mm will make the subject appear 2/3 of the distance as the 200mm. You are going to find that, with any lens, it is much more efficient and way cheaper to try to get closer. Even with a $12,000, 600mm lens, you would have to get within 30 yards to get something like a deer to fill the viewfinder. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: New To DSLRs. I Need Lens Help. PLEASE!

Both the 55-200 and 18-200 have the same reach on the long end.
    A lens that goes to 300 will bring stuff closer as OC said.

I'm not sure which 70-300 lens is ranked best right now but you'll want to do some comparisons and read reviews. I know Sigma and Tamron both make 70-300 lenses. Maybe Tokina.
    If when you decide to go for that lens power/zoom, remember that you will also lose at the wide end and may find yourself having to back up instead of getting closer.
    The vr will help but you should also think about a good tripod as not only do the lenses magnify what you're aiming at but they also magnify camera movement..
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information