Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

New digital camera

Ok, so I go down to futureshop ( same company as best buy except Canadian version) and I buy a canon powershot A520. This is my first digital camera by the way. Anyhow I start it up and it has two photos already on it; these are both 2 different photos of a dog dating from 2 days before christmas. I'm going to return it tommorrow because I think they sold me a used camera instead of a brand new one like I thought I was paying for. I'm asking in the forums because I'm wondering if it could possibly be some sort of normal policy to take photos on new cameras to test for lemons or some such. Is that possible? Anyways this has made me very angry at futureshop/bestbuy and I don't think I well ever buy from them again.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: New digital camera

Hello Gorkster and welcome to PR. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. To the best of my knowledge, the only cameras that should have anything on them would be the display cameras. But I know that many businesses sell items, then people return those items for many reasons, and if they are not damaged, I know that many times they repackage them and put them back on the shelf. If I were you, I'd take it back, calmly, and ask for a replacement and then check it out very carefully to make sure it had never been opened before. And then use the charged batteries in the old one and check the memory to see if it's been setup/used.
    I personally would be upset but wouldn't stop shopping there unless they gave me a hassle about returning the product. Another thing you might think about...it's probably still under full warranty and maybe they would cut you a great deal!!!!!! Never know ...!!!
    Good luck and let us know what comes of this...I'd really be interested in hearing the outcome!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Re: New digital camera

Some good ideas for Gorkster, Ken but speaking as a Canadian, it probably was a camera that was returned and put back in the package and Future Shop unfortunately does not give much of a deal on returned equipment. So demand a new one, and make sure that it is new by checking the memory.

Ronnoco

Thread Information