Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

New camera needed

I've got a mountain bike trip planned to Moab, UT the first weekend in Sept. and would like to get a new camera. I plan to take my Olympus DSLR but while riding it can be a hassle to use, having to take off my pack, get out the camera, take a few shots then pack it back up. I would like to a small P&S that I can carry in a small case attached to the straps of my pack to make it easy to get to and use. I want something that takes good landscapes but also takes good action shots. Little to no shutter lag is a big plus and of course a good battery life. Price range is not really a concern because you get what you pay for.

Edit: HD video would be nice

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Olympus 40-150mm F4.0-5.6
    Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Sony DSC-HX5V

My Blog

Re: New camera needed

I found this one last night in my searching, any thoughts on this Sony DSC-HX5V, fast shooting, good low light photos and GPS. The only thing that bothers my is the review on cnet says the photos aren't real sharp
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Sony DSC-HX5V

My Blog

You can try the new Samsung TL350 compact camera. The following is some of the specs:

- Dual Capture feature
    - Recording a movie (at resolutions up to 1080p no less)
    - Built around a backside-illuminated CMOS sensor.
    - 10fps burst mode at the full 10-megapixel resolution and a 1,000-frames-per-second high-speed movie mode that creates slow-motion clips at the minuscule size of 138x78 pixels.
    - 24mm-equivalent ultrawide-angle lens with a 5x zoom
    - 3-inch AMOLED screen.
    - Advanced Panorama Shot
    - Full HD video

:thumbsup:

Great choice, an alternative could be the Canon G11, both similar. The Canon has a hotshoe and a larger sensor, probably is a bit better IQ. The sony should have better high iso noise performance of the two thanks to its CMOS. The sony also has a much wider focal range, 25-250 vs the 28-140 of the Canon.

I don't give a lot of credence to what CNet says, I would look for other reviews. Further, most point and shoots produce images that are, what I consider - TOO sharp (black lines separating edges, unnatural contrast, et al).

Who the heck would want a point and shoot with 1000fps motion capture?!? You'd have to be motion capturing bullets flying through the air or something.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Well if you don't like the P&S processing, shoot in RAW with the G11 and process it yourself in Lightroom.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

This Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 may be added to the short list. It has more manual controls.

Any thoughts on it?

It looks to have identical specs to Leica V-Lux 20 but at half the price.

Thanks for the help. I just want the make the right purchase this time, too many times I've gotten in a hurry and didn't do my research and bought something that really wasn't the right tool for the task.
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Sony DSC-HX5V

My Blog

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I am not sure about Panasonic, every one I've owned (or my Wife has owned) I've seen issues in bright sunlight in face tones.
    I don't think it's the processing engine because it's similar on the old DMC-FZ20, DMC-LZ5, and the GH-1 all of which have different processors and image sensors.

The GH-1 seems to lack dynamic range compared to the E-P1 under the same conditions, particularly in the skin tone highlights in afternoon/evening sunlight as it reddens.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

The more I look the more I keep coming back to the Sony because it's suposed to be very good in low light. Although while riding on my trip to Utah low light shouldn't be an issue, most all my riding at home here in the southeast is done under tree canopy and light can be an issue. So, instead of beating myself up, I ordered the Sony last night. Camera, 8gb card and a small case that will attach to my Camelbak for under $400 shipped.

Thanks for the help.
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Sony DSC-HX5V

My Blog

I took along the Sony with me on a mountain bike ride today. Here's a few sample shots.

Here's one using the Intelligent Sweep Panorama

In Intelligent Auto Adjustment setting

Same shot using the Backlight correction

And of course, a sample video.

Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Sony DSC-HX5V

My Blog

Awesome stuff. Thanks for posting samples. Once you've gotten used to your new camera you should post a review here, so future people in your situation can have more review to go off of (something a little more than CNet).

Thread Information