Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Need some serious help here!

I've been used to point and shoot camera's and to be honest I'm just sick of the quality of the photo's. I must admit I haven't spent more then $300 or something around there. I had a casio that wasn't bad but I had some battery issues and didn't want to deal with it anymore. The camera's I have no i don't even want to name lol. I always burrow camera's, they are that bad!

I will mainly be using this camera for family and business photo's. By business I mean taking pictures of reptiles. I love close ups and detail. I've seen tons of photo's where you see this beautiful animal with amazing detail in which you can see each scale and the rest of the animal is blurry. I don't know how to use a slr (I could learn) and have only ever really used point and shoots. I know that there are some higher quality point and shoots on the market now but I don't know if I would be happy with them.

I have a budget of up to around $600 or less. After speaking with one photographer he told me to get a D40 and spend my money on a good lense (Ed II ?). I was told I really won't see the difference in a higher end slr then that because I probably won't use most of the options.

I found this deal: http://www.need4digital.com/product....mid=nkd40x1855

I can get the batteries and such on e-bay for cheap to fit my budget. I don't need all the crazy things you can get for these cameras. Battery, charger, case, usb, and memory card outta do it, maybe a neck strap.

Who offers the best deal and what do you think I should get for the money I'm looking to spend? Some people say I'm wasting money because I'll never use the options the D40 is capable of. HELP!!! lol, there are so many different options I never thought you could get stressed from buying a new camera!

Forgot to mention that I also plan to use this camera for Nature photo's. I often go out in the glades and shoot pictures of snakes and gators. Camera size is of no concern at this point.

John :mad2:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Need some serious help here!

First off forget about that deal(?).
    Needfordigital is on our list of dealer's to avoid. see: Recommended sites and sites to avoid

If you want to go dslr and want closeups of reptiles, you'll probably need a closeup lens or one with enough power that you won't have to be nose to nose with something dangerous and you'll need a fast* lens. A fast lens will give you the means to have those out of focus backgrounds.. *fast equals 2.8 or more...2.0,1.8, 1.4. Note that the smaller numbers equal a larger lens opening which allows faster shutter speeds and shallower focus.
    You'll probably need more than 600 to get a decent body and that sharp of a lens. The d40 is an ok camera but your friend is right..you;ll end up spending more for lens.
    Which lens is right for you, i don't know. You might ask in the nature and wildlife forum.
    There are a few herpatologists in there.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks for the quick reply. I really don't want to spend more then $600. What would you suggest for the price range. honestly I'm sure I'll be happy with anything I get because it's going to be much better then anything I've ever had. I don't have to go SLR. I'm really open to best value really. What's the best I can get for what I'm looking to spend. If I can spend less that's a plus as If I can I'd even like to stay around $500. Instead of looking at what I want, let's look at it that way. LOL if I went with wants I can't afford it! I can always buy a new lense down the road and just get something to start out with. I am just clueless. I'm not a fan of point and shoots due to past experiences. Then again I bought cheap cameras. Even If I purchased a D40 with it's stock lense I'm sure I'll get better pictures then a point and shoot? I have always wanted to get into photography and I think a d40 would be great for an entry level and get me started with room to expand. But again I'm open to anything.

Thank you,

John

When you buy a digital SLR you aren't really paying for all of the features. Or rather, you won't use them all. They pack the features in them but no one uses them all. You choose the camera that has the features and quality you need and don't worry about the rest. And the main reason to buy a digital SLR is the sensor quality. They have larger sensors that capture much better quality images. But they will cost you more - a lot more.

If you're not really sure about digital SLRs, I think you should look at a high-end compact camera. I don't know what cameras you've had, but there are point-and-shoots and the then there are compacts that offer almost all the control and features of a digital SLR. They use a smaller sensor so the image quality isn't as good. But that doesn't mean its bad. Use them correctly and you can get wonderful quality. And most important for you - they all have built-in closeup capabilities. You won't have to buy a special lens to do the kind of closeups you're talking about. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Kodak, Pentax, Fujifilm, Panasonic and Sony all make good compact "superzoom" cameras. They look like small DSLRs but they don't have changeable lenses. I think a camera like that might be your best bet. In no particular order, here are a links to a few of them so you can take a look:

Nikon Coolpix P90
    Pentax X70
    Olympus SP-590 UZ
    Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR
    Sony Cybershot H20

And for a more in-depth look at a superzoom compact camera, read our pro review of the Sony Cybershot H50. Personally, I like the look of the Fuji the most. I haven't had a chance to use it. But Fuji's new EXR sensor is supposed to be really good.

I'm sure you'll have more questions. Take a look at those reviews and let us know what you think. Read the Sony H50 pro review because it has a lot of general stuff on the benefits of a superzoom camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    When you buy a digital SLR you aren't really paying for all of the features. Or rather, you won't use them all. They pack the features in them but no one uses them all. You choose the camera that has the features and quality you need and don't worry about the rest. And the main reason to buy a digital SLR is the sensor quality. They have larger sensors that capture much better quality images. But they will cost you more - a lot more.

If you're not really sure about digital SLRs, I think you should look at a high-end compact camera. I don't know what cameras you've had, but there are point-and-shoots and the then there are compacts that offer almost all the control and features of a digital SLR. They use a smaller sensor so the image quality isn't as good. But that doesn't mean its bad. Use them correctly and you can get wonderful quality. And most important for you - they all have built-in closeup capabilities. You won't have to buy a special lens to do the kind of closeups you're talking about. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Kodak, Pentax, Fujifilm, Panasonic and Sony all make good compact "superzoom" cameras. They look like small DSLRs but they don't have changeable lenses. I think a camera like that might be your best bet. In no particular order, here are a links to a few of them so you can take a look:

Nikon Coolpix P90
    Pentax X70
    Olympus SP-590 UZ
    Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR
    Sony Cybershot H20

And for a more in-depth look at a superzoom compact camera, read our pro review of the Sony Cybershot H50. Personally, I like the look of the Fuji the most. I haven't had a chance to use it. But Fuji's new EXR sensor is supposed to be really good.

I'm sure you'll have more questions. Take a look at those reviews and let us know what you think. Read the Sony H50 pro review because it has a lot of general stuff on the benefits of a superzoom camera.
    Not sure if I gave off the wrong impression but I really want an SLR! All my friends have them and the photo's are unreal. I found this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

$449 for a D40 w/ a lense. After speaking with my wife we want something good that we can grow with. I would always be able to buy a new lense and get better photo's down the road, if I get a point and shoot I'm stuck with whatever I have. I'm leaning on the D40 and I'm going to make a decision this week. The money is surely burning a hole in my pocket because I really want a new camera! Thanks so much for your help! With the reviews and info you 2 have provided I think I may just go with the D40. The D40 was replaced by the D3000, should I go for that one, Or should I just stick with the D40 and upgrade down the road if I really find the need to?

I keep saying Nikon, would you go with a different brand? Who has the best lenses?

Thanks again!!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by heloderm
    Not sure if I gave off the wrong impression but I really want an SLR! All my friends have them and the photo's are unreal.
    Fair enough. I just wanted you to be aware that there are alternatives. Calling the superzooms "point-and-shoots" isn't really accurate, either. They have full manual controls if you want them. And for that matter, DSLRs also have full auto controls, so you can use them as point-and-shoots. It's really the sensor that makes the difference. And also keep in mind that the camera doesn't take the picture. A better camera offers more potential. But the photographer is still the one that makes the picture. You don't make delicious food just because you have nice knives and pans, right?

Ok, moving on... The D40 is a fine camera and a great way for you to get started. If you like Nikon, that's fine with me. Every camera company makes really good lenses - if you're willing to pay for them. I think you'll find the kit lens that comes with the camera just fine for general photos. But it won't do the closeup stuff you want to do. You will need a dedicated closeup lens for that kind of photo. We can help you with that now or later. Just keep in mind that you won't be able to get good photos of critter scales with what you're buying. You'll probably also need to learn some new technique. Proper technique is usually more important than the equipment you use. You'll definitely want to take a look at our Nature & Wildlife forum and ask those guys what they think you should buy. They're the experts on critter closeups.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Fair enough. I just wanted you to be aware that there are alternatives. Calling the superzooms "point-and-shoots" isn't really accurate, either. They have full manual controls if you want them. And for that matter, DSLRs also have full auto controls, so you can use them as point-and-shoots. It's really the sensor that makes the difference. And also keep in mind that the camera doesn't take the picture. A better camera offers more potential. But the photographer is still the one that makes the picture. You don't make delicious food just because you have nice knives and pans, right?

Ok, moving on... The D40 is a fine camera and a great way for you to get started. If you like Nikon, that's fine with me. Every camera company makes really good lenses - if you're willing to pay for them. I think you'll find the kit lens that comes with the camera just fine for general photos. But it won't do the closeup stuff you want to do. You will need a dedicated closeup lens for that kind of photo. We can help you with that now or later. Just keep in mind that you won't be able to get good photos of critter scales with what you're buying. You'll probably also need to learn some new technique. Proper technique is usually more important than the equipment you use. You'll definitely want to take a look at our Nature & Wildlife forum and ask those guys what they think you should buy. They're the experts on critter closeups.
    I want the best picture quality so I've decided to go SLR, now I gotta decide which one. I'm sure I'll have tons of time to get the pictures right! Do I need a uv filter shooting out in the sun? I also posted in the nature forum, thanks alot!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

uv filter is not necessary on a dslr. Some use it for lens protection but you are sticking a probably inferiour piece of glass in front of the high quality lens glass so I don't use them
    Good polarizer filters are good to cut reflections and get nice blue skies.
    Neutral density filters are good for overcast days and when you have too much light/dark contrast in a scene.
    No other filters are necessary.
    Buy good ones and only get one of each in the largest size you'll ever need and get step down/up adaptors so the filter can be used on an all your lenses.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information