Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Need some advice on digital camera purchase

I need some advice on what type of digital camera to purchase. I currently use a Sony Cybershot DSC F717 and I love it but it can be a little bulky to carry around all the time especially if I'm just with some family and friends and just want to take some "point and shoot" pics.

Since I was happy with this Sony camara I went ahead and bought the Sony Cybershot DSC M1. What a disappointment. Every picture comes out blurry unless you use a tripod. I tried all the different camera modes and exposures but nothing helped. The camera has a nice aesthetic appeal to it but other than that its just a paper weight. I does take decent video recordings provided you bought a huge memory card and thiers enough lighting because while indoors, or at night, this camera goes "blind". Because of this, whenever you take a picture it begins to flashes really fast attempting to "see" what it needs to take a picture of, this is usually mistaken for an actual "shot" so what happens is that the person taking the picture thinks he's done and puts the camera down before its done and or the person having there picture taken moves away before the camera is finished. Grrrrr, I hate this camera. And to top it off, the battery life is less than 2 hours on a full charge.

So, heres where I need advice. For starters, I'm looking for something that will NOT give me the problems I just stated above about my previous camera. I'm looking for something small (slimline would be nice but not necesary) that can take decent "point and shoot" pictures indoors and outdoors, day and night, without the inconveniece of it "blurring" if I dont have surgeon hands. I don't need Macros, nor long range (I have my F717 for that). I'd like it to be 5 Megapixels + , good battery life (rechargable if possible), and for it to take decent videos (I go to alot of rock concerts and sometimes I like to record small clips just to email to friends so they can see what they missed!). The video portion is not that important to me but would be a nice extra. I would also like it to have a USB port (I think most cameras have it now) and last but not least is the price. If a camera can do all this and more, then the price is not an issue with me. Of course, if the price goes to high ($600-$1000) then I might as well buy me something more professional.

I know I'm asking for a lot for a small digital camera but I figure with the way technolgy is growing these days, well, why not try and ask. Any advice would be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by foreverzero; 01-30-2006 at 06:56 PM.

Re: Need some advice on digital camera purchase

Check this review of the Fuji FinePix E900. I think it may be what you are looking for.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Re: Need some advice on digital camera purchase

Thanks for the advice. I'll do some more research on this camera (I have to be 100% sure). In the mean time I'm still open to more suggestions.

Thread Information