Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

need some advice

well i am new to the forums though i do at times come through and read them periodically.

i am a college student but this coming year i will have a few bucks to spend on a new camera. at present i have a nikon coolpix 4300 which has served me well for the point and shoot but i am wanting to get into this a bit more i love it so far.

my question is what would you recomend for a camera the max my budget will allow is about 400 dollars. due to this the high end digital slr cameras are out of the picture baring some mircale. are there any upgrades that will offer me more options than the one i have?

i do oppologize if this is the wrong area for this post but i felt this was the most appropriate, and thankyou for any input you can give me on this.

Re: need some advice

Well let me first start off and say, "Welcome to the boards"... This thread might get moved to the "Help" category.... Let me say that the other people here will help you out a lot more then I can, as I'm new to the digital camera world, but I have seen similar questions and then all ask the same questions.... What are your main subjects that you shot?? Do you have any models that you are thinking about for certain functions that you like to have?? Have you looked thru the "Camera Reviews"?? The review can help narrow down or even help you choose which camera is the right one for you....

Hi and welcome. Actually I moved it to Digital Cameras, and you might want to check other posts here too.

Another member recently bought a Coolpix 8400 for about $400, and they were over twice this price when they came out. I have an older version of the camera, the 5000, and I love it. You'll have probably everything you have now, and also a wider lens and full manual control if/when you need it. Great cameras and that's a bargain price.

thanks for the comments so far in this.

i use my 4300 for a wide variety of things right now from family events such as christmas now. i also use it for my hobby which ranges from taking very close up pictures of flowers and plants to a wider view of the beach etc. i know that in my price range no camera will be perfect but just wanting one with a bit more control and one that can let me develop more till i get out in a year and be able to afford one of the higher end ones.

Thread Information