Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Post From Beginner to Overachiever in 4 days

Hello you photo junkies, you,

I am a past Kodak Easy Share digital camera user. My fiance and I are looking to upgrade, but I know we will slack in terms of using all the features and accessories of a complex camera. Therefore, I would love input from all of you on which camera to buy. My requests are:

Easy to use...we mostly take pictures of dogs and want to be able to pick up the camera and shoot.
    Cropability...we like to make our large dogs heads even larger...I think that mp's has something to do with this...or is the optical zoom? See how dangerous we are?
    Portability...it's nice to shove in a backpack or the like without having to tote along a huge dealio

I am looking to spend under $1000 (more like $750 or less if possible, but if it's worth it, I'll go the extra mile).

Thank you thank you for sharing. Oh, did I mention it is going to be a Christmas gift?? So my heartfelt thanks for helping me during this busy time to help me.

MB

Good Budget

Merrie Beth-
    Welcome to the site. Happy to help. First of all, have you looked at the digital camera buyer's guides on the site? Here's a link to all the buyer's guides in the Learn section: http://www.photographyreview.com/learncrx.aspx#buyguide

It sounds to me like you're in the market for either a high-end compact or an entry-level digital SLR. The digital camera buyer's guides should help you sort that out. A digital SLR will ultimately be the most flexible and deliver the best quality. And you can afford one with your budget. On the other hand, you can get a smaller camera with a lot of the features and functionality of a digital SLR if you buy a high-end compact like the Canon G6, Sony DSC-F828, DSC-R1, or the Konica Minolta DiMage A200, to name a few. There are pro reviews and user reviews for all of those cameras in the review section of the site.

Hopefully those links will help you learn a little more and narrow things down. But I'm sure you'll have more questions. We're be here to help.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: From Beginner to Overachiever in 4 days

Hmmm...where to start????? In that price range, you can get any of the top of the line point and shoots and all would probably meet all of your needs. This thread has had a lot of comparisons lately as many of us, including myself, have recently been in the market to upgrade. I went from a Kodak DX4330 to a Nikon Coolpix 8400.
    Some things to look for...
    1. Megapixels...the higher the mp, the higher the quality and the larger the final picture can be. If you want a poster size of your dogs, go with the highest mp camera you can afford.
    2. Zoom???...I find my 3.5x zoom sufficient for most of my shots. However, you must consider how far away your dogs will be. With the higher mp, you can crop a very nice picture, but with a higher optical zoom/digital zoom combination, you can zoom directly in on your animals. The biggest problem here is that at the longer lengths, camera shake is a major problem, even for the steadiest hands. If you go with the higher zoom cameras, make sure it has IS (Image Stabilization). Or at least purchase a good tripod.
    3. Portability...this is rather a personal thing. I think my 8400 is very portable, but some people want those pocket cams...and many of the pocket cams may very well meet your need.
    4. One other thing under portability is "battery usage". With my Kodak, I used to carry about 10 spare batteries with me. Although I rarely needed more than my 2nd set. I also suggest you consider the difference between usage of regular batteries versus camera specific batteries, which in my experience are much more expensive and don't really provide that much more usage per charge.
    5. Finally, read through this threads recent posts. Choose some of the cameras being compared that you think might fit your bill. Then go to the reviews section and research each of these cameras. PR was very instrumental in my and many others decisions. Finally, go to your nearest photo shop or Walmart, and try each of these cameras to see which "feels" best to you. This is something that you will read alot about in this thread.
    In closing, as I said at the start, for the price range you are looking, you can purchase almost any Point and Shoot and some entry level DSLR's, all of which will be very satisfactory for what you are looking for. My one and only suggestion...as I understand your wants...go with the higher megapixels.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    1. Megapixels...the higher the mp, the higher the quality and the larger the final picture can be. If you want a poster size of your dogs, go with the highest mp camera you can afford.
    Ken-
    This is a common belief, but not necessarily true. Image quality isn't dependent on pixel count. And a higher pixel count can even be detrimental to image quality. I think the current 7-megapixel sensor is much better than the 8-megapixel sensors. As manufacturers cram more pixels into the same size sensor, problems with noise, fringing, and chromatic aberation start to happen. When Canon went from 4 to 5 megapixels with the G series, everyone agreed that the image quality of the 4-megapixel G2 was better than the new, higher resolution G3.

Bigger pixels are what you really want. And that's one of the biggest arguments for buying a digital SLR. Digital SLRs have bigger sensors and hence, bigger pixels. Larger pixels have less noise and collect altogether cleaner information. So even a 4 megapixel digital SLR will have better image quality than an 8-megapixel compact.

Not only that, but anything above 4 megapixels will cover most people's needs. I sold a 6 foot print made from my 4-megapixel Canon G2 to a company for a tradeshow display. Image handling is usually more important than the camera resolution.
    Photo-John

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Ken-
    This is a common belief, but not necessarily true. Image quality isn't dependent on pixel count. And a higher pixel count can even be detrimental to image quality. I think the current 7-megapixel sensor is much better than the 8-megapixel sensors. As manufacturers cram more pixels into the same size sensor, problems with noise, fringing, and chromatic aberation start to happen. When Canon went from 4 to 5 megapixels with the G series, everyone agreed that the image quality of the 4-megapixel G2 was better than the new, higher resolution G3.

Bigger pixels are what you really want. And that's one of the biggest arguments for buying a digital SLR. Digital SLRs have bigger sensors and hence, bigger pixels. Larger pixels have less noise and collect altogether cleaner information. So even a 4 megapixel digital SLR will have better image quality than an 8-megapixel compact.

Not only that, but anything above 4 megapixels will cover most people's needs. I sold a 6 foot print made from my 4-megapixel Canon G2 to a company for a tradeshow display. Image handling is usually more important than the camera resolution.
    Very good points John and something I really didn't understand fully. I do know that the larger the sensor the better and that is something I should have mentioned. But as you very well know...hehe...I am still learning a lot and have just learned a little more.
    I would be interested in knowing what you had to do to get a 6 footer out of a 4mp cam and still maintained the quality I've come to expect from you? The question is based on a desire to learn more, based on what I have read about Megapixels and quality. I imagine, and am probably wrong...hehe, you probably had to do a lot of post processing in PS. Anyway, thank you for pointing out that difference on the MP's...I know that so far, I love my 8mp Coolpix. And I am finally catching up to the learning curve. I'll be glad when I can do all of this without having to think so much. I have lost a few shots because of trying to over think them. But then again...that's what learning is all about.
    Ken
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Welcome to te forum Merrie Beth

Ken, I will have to say that reading many of the posts here gives me a lot of information. I am just in the beginning of a long learning curve myself. Reading your comment on saying " I have lost a few shots because of trying to over think them" reminds me of times I have done the same thing. Sometimes we all try and make things more complicated than the need to be.

When at work when I was trying to repair one of my large phone systems I would always try and go in with the attitude that the answer to the problem would be fairly simple. I was ask several times to go and help someone figure out a problem they could not get fixed and the main holdup to finding a solution to the problem getting resolved was trying to over think the problem.

I have to admit that I think that, or at least hope, that I am making these photo programs more complicated than they really are because quite often it takes me hours to get something simple accomplished. I am looking forward to the day that things get done easier than they do right now for me.
    Last edited by Grandpaw; 12-22-2005 at 08:08 AM.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pentax Forum Moderator

Haha Grandpaw...All I know is that it sure came a lot easier when we were younger...hahaha...I hope we haven't confused Merrie Beth too much...she sounds like she is in the same boat as you and I. Like you...this site has been an exceptional learning tool and shopping guide. Your "nude" thread really helped my decision!!!
    Anyway...only 2 more shopping days left...so if you haven't made your decision MB...we'll do all we can to help you.
    Happy and safe holidays everyone...
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

You have all been very helpful...I am always confused, so don't blame it on the post.

I went to Staples today. I must say I was impressed with the gentleman there, he asked lots of questions and seemed to know what he was talking about. We derived from this that I would like to be able to crop but really don't need to zoom. In addition, I also want portability, so I am thinking an SLR is not the way to go. He has me looking at the Sony Cybershot W7 and the Canon Powershot SD500. Both are nice, one smaller, but then, smaller screen. Both 7.something mps.

Any immediate thoughts? I am heading back there and will likely make a move unless I hear otherwise...

Merrie Beth

Merrie Beth-
    First of all, here's a link to our Sony DSC-W7 pro review: http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...x.aspx?TabID=2

Both camerras use the excellent 7-megapixel sensor. The biggest difference between the two cameras is the Sony has full manual exposure controls. This gives you more options for exposure control and makes the camera something you can grow into. Even though I think both cameras use the same sensor, Canon and Sony have different image processing styles. Sony tends to process a little more heavily and sharpen a bit more for a better appearance right out of the camera. The Canon images will feel smoother and are likely to enlarge better, although they still look wonderfu right out of the camera.
    Photo-John

Well goo deal because I got the sony! I got the 1gig memory as well, so that we don't have to worry about running out of space (we are getting married sometime next year and we love to go on cruises, so worth the extra $).

Now, onto printers...is the 9600 dpi worth it? I also like the portable...but then, I suppose you sacrifice quality.

Thanks again for your help!! I will let you know how it goes after Sunday morning. He just said he needs to get on the computer to do some research...I fear he is also going to buy a camera, which would crack me up!!

Thanks again,

Merrie Beth

OH, and what software do I want? Adobe looks great, but I'd have to sell a dog or something to afford it. I have an earlier version of Arcsoft. I like the smart crop feature...being able to have it figure out how to crop. I assume that is standard. We like to crop the dogs and put them in fun places...

Thanks for any advice...2 more days!!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Congratulations on your new camera Merrie Beth and welcome to the forums! As far as software goes, Adobe Photoshop is the gold standard. There are others that are very good as well, but I would stick with Photoshop if I were you. It can get pretty expensive for the full version of the program, over $1000, but if you are or know a college student, you can get it for about $200. Another option to look into, and I would highly recomend is to get the newest version of Photoshop Elements. Version 4 is the newest, and can be purchased for less than $100. It should have just about everything that the begining digital photog needs and for a pretty reasonable price too.

I would think that your camera should have come with some type of editing software also, but if not, I think Elements is a great place to start.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

As far as printers go, I don't have any suggestions for you other than having someone else print your pics for you. I thought about printing my own pics, but in the long run, there is no way I could print my own images cheaper than an online lab could do it for. I use www.mpix.com and love them. A coworker just brought in bunch of prints she had done at www.snapfish.com and they looked pretty good. I think she gets 4x6 prints for 12 cents, plus you get a bunch free with your first order.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Howdy there after Christmas over eaters...I mean over achievers! Okay, so funny ha ha, is that Bud got me a camera too! Funny is he got an SLR...the Canon EOS 350D. Looks like a neato camera, SLR. Our biggest concern with going SLR is being able to pick up a camera and take a picture. Snap...and also from the time you press the button to the time the picture is taken is minimal. This is what lead me to Sony DSC W7. Thanks for all of your help, much appreciated. We are excited about the possibilities.

We will probably go with a small printer just for kicks to have for visiting friends, cruises and our upcoming wedding weekend bash. I will be sure to 'edit' prior to posting!!

Thanks again!

Merrie Beth

Congrats on getting another new camera! The 350D is a very nice piece of equipment. As far as your concerns over shutterlag and being able to just pick it up and start shooting, the 350D will be just fine. There is almost no shutterlag, and you can make it as simple, or as hard to use as you want. Good luck.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information