Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Need a little advice on a camera

I have been reading reviews, and watching videos on cameras, and am still stumped. I need a camera for less than $325.00 Need help find a camera that will give me some good video. Right now I have an old Kodak Easyshare C713 7.0mp 3X Optical zoom.

We get deer in the field behine the trailer, and I want to get some good video of them, well better than what I can with this camera.
    Here is a video I made with this camera. Then I edited it with powerdirector 8. My video was filmed at 320X240 I think, and uploaded to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NCDigger1#p/u/0/T5NV0kuzsTE

I was filming the deer, they was between 75, and 125 yards out.
    How much optical zoom would I need to reach out to lets say 250 yards to be safe? Or at about the distance those deer was out?
    I was wanting to get the a Canon powershot sc20 is, it has 20X and 12mp. But it's at my maximum budget. Could I get good video with a lesser model?
    The reason I'm not considering a camcorder is I metal detect, and rather have a camera, with good photo abilitys. I want the canon sx20is, they have it referbished for $327.00 on fee bay, but not sure what to do. This is taxing my budget, and I'm wandering if I can get buy with anything less than the sx20is. But a lot better than my 7.0mp 3X.

Please help me Thanks

Re: Need a little advice on a camera

The series from Canon you mention is one of the best for what you are looking to do. You may want to step back and get an SX10(fit your budget), I wouldn't worry about the # of pixels, what you need here is length and the SX10 uses basically the same lens as the SX20.

The Panasonic FZ series of cameras are similar in design, use, zoom, and # of pixels. They are also a highly regarded series of cameras and would accomplish the same goals. And again don't be afraid to pick up a model that is a year or so old, just a short time ago they were thought quite highly of, so if you can find a bargain...

The last thing I've got is the Travel Zoom type camera. They have large zoom ranges in a compact body. Canon has the SX200 and Panasonic has the ZS3, and just announced ZS5(which adds manual controls to a great little camera).

Don't get too caught up in the megapixel race, in most cases 8mp will be adequate. Adding more pixels to an already small sensor(the size of a fingernail)may increase resolution, but it also increases noise. Like I said above, in this case you need length more than you need pixels.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    The series from Canon you mention is one of the best for what you are looking to do. You may want to step back and get an SX10(fit your budget), I wouldn't worry about the # of pixels, what you need here is length and the SX10 uses basically the same lens as the SX20.

The Panasonic FZ series of cameras are similar in design, use, zoom, and # of pixels. They are also a highly regarded series of cameras and would accomplish the same goals. And again don't be afraid to pick up a model that is a year or so old, just a short time ago they were thought quite highly of, so if you can find a bargain...

The last thing I've got is the Travel Zoom type camera. They have large zoom ranges in a compact body. Canon has the SX200 and Panasonic has the ZS3, and just announced ZS5(which adds manual controls to a great little camera).

Don't get too caught up in the megapixel race, in most cases 8mp will be adequate. Adding more pixels to an already small sensor(the size of a fingernail)may increase resolution, but it also increases noise. Like I said above, in this case you need length more than you need pixels.

Also with more pixels, you loose out in darker setting, where it's dark, like in an ally way, or under that big old tree. Or in the house. More pixels, really only means Larger Dimentions of Photographs Right?

Thanks I'm going to look into those models you told me about right now.

I think I'm going to get the Canon SX20IS, I'm going for the Referbished model on E-bay, with the a 1 year warranty from canon. $327.45 Delivered. Sound like my best bet. I talked with the seller, and he said these were Referbished to the Top notch condition from canon.

Quote Originally Posted by ncdigger1
    I think I'm going to get the Canon SX20IS, I'm going for the Referbished model on E-bay, with the a 1 year warranty from canon. $327.45 Delivered. Sound like my best bet. I talked with the seller, and he said these were Referbished to the Top notch condition from canon.
    That should be a fine camera. I used to have an S2 IS which is the great grandfather of the SX20IS. I enjoyed everything about that camera except the size. I think my next P&S camera is going to be the new Panasonic ZS7 superzoom. It's compact while still allowing for a decent wide angle to telephoto zoom.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

I can't wait to get my paws on a real camera. (jumps up -n- down)

Thread Information