Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Need Advice Opinion

Took my 40d into a very reputable camera repair shop in Seattle to have sensor cleaned. When I picked up the camera it was all wraped up in a plastic bag. They informed me that I should always keep the camera in a large zip lock bag to help keep dust out, even while stored inside my gear backpack. My concern with this suggestion is that moisture or condensation would occur and really cause problems. What is your thinking on this topic zip lock bag plus gear bag or just gear bag or some other method of storage to help reduce dust problem.
    Thanks
    Ray Still

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Need Advice Opinion

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Dust won't get in there with a lens or body cap on and my camera always has a lens on except to change.
    I have thought that putting the camera in a bag while changing lenses might help.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I've never stored my camera like that, but one of my photography instructors stored his camera's like that. I personally store mine like Frog, with lens attached. I rarely have any problems with dust.

Stick a few of those packets that come inside the camera box or a shoebox, or a little uncooked rice in a smaller bag with holes poked in it to act as a desiccant and you won't have that problem.

Yeah, it happens in occasion for me, once I got the same problem, after that a professional photographer told to wrap a thin cloth around the camera whatever bag you may use, this will protect the dust somehow.

Liz

I have to be careful with my equipment as for some reason there is a LOT of dust where I live. I can dust around here and within minutes I can see dust landing again where I dusted. Ugh. If I put my camera case down, by the end of the day I can see the dust on it. So I had to figure out something to resolve the problem.

Last year I bought a cheap soft insulated cooler at Walmart - looks like an insulated suitcase on wheels. It really works for me. However, most people don't need to buy coolers to store their equipment, but in this area I had to do something.

While at Walmart, I also bought a smaller "lunch" (soft) cooler to keep in the car. I use it in the winter and on very wet/humid days to keep my camera in - I've never had a problem with moisture keeping it there.

In my camera bag I put a large microfiber cleaning cloth - open - and place my camera inside it.

I know this sounds a bit paranoid, but after moving into this area, I had to do something. I've never had a dust problem inside my camera thankfully - even with the G9 that is known for attracting dust into the sensor.

Liz

Thread Information