Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Thread: My G2 Popped

Unhappy My G2 Popped

No kidding. I lent it to a friend who was going on vacation. Last night he said it made a popping noise and then this morning smoke started coming out when it wasn't even turned on. I guess it's probably done for. It's not like I didn't get my money's worth.

So what should I get to replace it?

Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    No kidding. I lent it to a friend who was going on vacation. Last night he said it made a popping noise and then this morning smoke started coming out when it wasn't even turned on. I guess it's probably done for. It's not like I didn't get my money's worth.

So what should I get to replace it?

Sorry to hear, my suggestions for replacement: Sony DSC-T1

No control really, but you have to handle this thing to just see how freaking cool it is. HUGE screen on the back, no viewfinder, barely larger than a credit card, and just thick enough to have room for a chutter release button, albeit a skinny one. For a P&S THIS is the camera of my (current) dreams...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Bugger, sounds like it might have had some condensation inside it maybe and fried the circuitry. How about a G3 to replace it.

Sorry to hear about the G2..

I think you had enough brassing on it...

Assuming if you wanted to spend $1k you would by drebel and take the 28-135IS back from your father. Other than that, these are the two that interest me;

fuji s7000

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

sony 717

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

The fuji is just a little bigger than the G2. The Sony may be too big for your intent, but the 2/3" sensor on it is tempting...

I've read good things about the fuji. Shutter lag and low light focusing are good and it has an slr type feel. It takes CF cards and has a hot shoe so you can use your pocket wizards (depending on flash unit).

Both are around $650, same as the G5. The fuji also has a $100 rebate.

Mike

If I had $1000

If I had $1000 I'd probably cough up a little extra and buy the Pentax *ist D. Itwould be an awesome replacement and it's different enough from the Canons that I have that I wouldn't feel like it was redundant.

I had a Sony 828 for a few weeks and it was very nice. I'm not sold on 8 megapixels being all that people think they are. But the camera works great and the image quality is quite good.

But I'm thinking the replacement might be something smaller. I'm really not sure. I'd like something simple, small, fast, with a wide lens. I liked the Olympus 5060, but it's about the same size as the G2. This is tough. But I'm not in a hurry. I think I need to look into the Pentax compacts, too. I haven't had any experience with them yet.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information