Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

which is the most adaptable camera?

hi everybody

i am looking for the most adaptable digital camera. What is the camera that has the largest number of different functions, flexibility, and different lenses that can be used with it? I am looking for the camera with the largest amount of adaptability also high resolution would be good as well.

thank you for your help

-redonnemoi

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: which is the most adaptable camera?

Quote Originally Posted by redonnemoi
    hi everybody

i am looking for the most adaptable digital camera. What is the camera that has the largest number of different functions, flexibility, and different lenses that can be used with it? I am looking for the camera with the largest amount of adaptability also high resolution would be good as well.

thank you for your help

-redonnemoi
    There is no such thing. If there were, it would be the only camera out there as all others would be of lesser quality. Decide what you really want to do and state the question again with more specific needs.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

can do the following things:

use color filters, including UV filter
    use sunshield
    can affix a standard "multipurpose lens" (I don't know what this means :S), that can do a moderate amount of zoom
    can affix a lens that can do very very long zoom and not just no zoom or "all the way", i want in between settings as well(macro lens? :S I don't know either )
    can affix a lens that can do extremely wide angle photography, but not horribly fisheye distorted (preferable as wide angle as human vision, or close)
    and of course, a camera able to manually adjust everything (exposure, fstop, flash type, zoom speed, etc)
    of a high resolution (9MP or more)
    can affix an external flash
    can use a double tripod (is this necessary for long lens tubes? if not sorry cross it off )

thanks very much
    Last edited by redonnemoi; 06-13-2007 at 04:32 AM.

so: could i ask you which camera fits these requirements thanks

hi everybody

thank you for your help

-redonnemoi
    There are things to consider, like stated in other posts, but also your budget is the biggest factor. And possibly you could be looking at it from the wrong end. Maybe you should look at it from the lens side of things first as it really is the most significant in photo quality, and just because the camera has a 12MP sensor doesn't mean the quality is better, a 6 or 8 MP camera may have better quality, but using lesser quality lenses won't help. Personally I think Canon's EOS system is the most flexable and complete lens selection available, and you can get quality used lenses as well.
    The type of photography you want to do will also determine what you need. Sports and nature photography require different gear than portrait or landscape photography, although a good photographer can make do with what they have in most cases.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

can do the following things:

use color filters, including UV filter
    use sunshield
    can affix a standard "multipurpose lens" (I don't know what this means :S), that can do a moderate amount of zoom
    can affix a lens that can do very very long zoom and not just no zoom or "all the way", i want in between settings as well(macro lens? :S I don't know either )
    can affix a lens that can do extremely wide angle photography, but not horribly fisheye distorted (preferable as wide angle as human vision, or close)
    and of course, a camera able to manually adjust everything (exposure, fstop, flash type, zoom speed, etc)
    can use a double tripod (is this necessary for long lens tubes? if not sorry cross it off )

thanks very much
    1: Not really needed in digital photography (color filters that is). In fact the 1D series has built in prcessing that can do much of this in camera or via software A Hoya UV(0) should be on ALL lenses to protect the front element (glass) from scratches as this filter will not affect color.
    2: All Canon EOS Lenses come with lens hood, most can be removed, although a couple of the real large lenses they can't.
    3:4: etc.... Lens choice depends on use, the EOS series has a lens for any type of shooting you want from 10mm up to 1200mm, of course the 1200mm lens is around $13,000.

5: camera body, sounds like your wanting a high end pro body, better be ready to shell out $3,000 to $7,000 dollars. A used Canon 1D MKII N is 8MP and used plan on $2500 and up. The 1DS is $6500+

Double tripod?Even with the 1200mm you don't need that, but you do need a very sturdy tripod as that lens weighs 36 pounds, then add a 3 pound lens. But for all other large EOS lenses you can use a monopod, even with the 600mm.
    All EOS bodies accept external flash.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Pretty much any DSLR with the MP you want does all of these things. Most of what you are looking for is standard for a DSLR.

As mentioned, the color correction filters are not needed with digital, that is what white balance settings are for. A polarizer is required as that can't be reproduced in software. Contrary to some others (a very contentious issue, believe me!) NEVER use a UV filter for "protection." Use the lens cap, that's what it is for. A lens hood provides lots of protection for the lens and helps the image rather than degrading it. In about 35 years of photography, including really abusive conditions, I have yet to damage the front element of any lens. People wil argue this forever.

I am biased towards Canon and Pentax. In fact, were I starting from scratch, I would probably choose a Pentax 10D over the Canon I have or any new ones in my budget. Pentax has the widest lens compatibility of any system out there. Canon does an excellent job if you keep track of the EF and EF-S lens differences. Nikon has gone bonkers with all sorts of lens exceptions for their cameras, too bad. Sony is a warmed over Minolta that doesn't impress me and the super-small 4/3 sensor of Olympus is not something I take seriously. Other opinions will vary!

So, my suggestion is to look at the Pentax 10D and the Canon 400D (XTi) first.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    . Contrary to some others (a very contentious issue, believe me!) NEVER use a UV filter for "protection." Use the lens cap, that's what it is for. A lens hood provides lots of protection for the lens and helps the image rather than degrading it. .

Micheal.

You completely miss the point of using the Hoya UV(0) for lens protection. The only contensoius part of it is you REFUSE to accept what has been proven in both the real world and in tests.
    #1: yes, the lens cap is to protect the lens BUT not when shooting (unless you figured out a way to shoot with the lens cap on)
    #2: when shooting you STILL need to protect the front element from damage and a hood will not keep objects from hitting the glass (except if the object actually gets deflected by the hood before it hits the glass) and it won't keep kids fingers off the glass (you'd be amazed how many kids try and stick their fingers on the glass), where the Hoya UV(0) will protect it. I have had rocks, parts and more hit the lens and it has been saved by having this filter on, the filter got trashed, but I would rather replace a $47 filter than spend $200 to $1800 or more replacing glass or a lens.
    #3: It also keeps unwanted UV light out that the hood can't do anything about.
    #4: The Hoya UV(0) will NOT degrade the image quality. Lens hoods do nothing at all in respect to image quality other than blocking light from specific angles. Image quality is the same whether or not you have the Hoya UV(0) on or not. I have tested it on all my lenses and there is no difference. Other tests done with many lenses by different manufactuers show no degrading of quality either so I have no idea where you are getting your information.
    It's basically a cheap insurance policy that has the added benefit of keeping out UV light and it doesn't affect quality.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Micheal.
    You completely miss the point of using the Hoya UV(0) for lens protection. The only contensoius part of it is you REFUSE to accept what has been proven in both the real world and in tests.
    Nothing of the sort has ever been proven. In the few cases when a filter has protected the lens, it is splashed all over web sites. The hundreds of thousands of times when it hasn't done anything are never reported. Last month, I dropped my 75-300 lens onto the ground. Without the filter nothing was damaged. Not exactly news. Sorry, but definition of "proof" is not "reported on the web."

#1: yes, the lens cap is to protect the lens BUT not when shooting (unless you figured out a way to shoot with the lens cap on)
    Most shooting conditions have nothing to do with danger to the lens. Near salt spray, sand, yeah, go ahead. Normal shooting, no.

#2: when shooting you STILL need to protect the front element from damage and a hood will not keep objects from hitting the glass (except if the object actually gets deflected by the hood before it hits the glass)
    LOL! My goodness, are you shooting in a war zone with bullets flying all over the place? Exactly what is hitting the glass?

and it won't keep kids fingers off the glass (you'd be amazed how many kids try and stick their fingers on the glass), where the Hoya UV(0) will protect it.
    Then keep your fingers off the lens! I am a first class kludze and I don't get fingerprints all over the lens. If you have kids, maybe. But then, why are you allowing kids to play with expensive lenses?

I have had rocks, parts and more hit the lens and it has been saved by having this filter on, the filter got trashed, but I would rather replace a $47 filter than spend $200 to $1800 or more replacing glass or a lens.
    How do you protect yourself from this constant barrage of flying debris? Get real! I have moun ted cameras on fast moving motorcycles, thrown them into backpacks unprotected, had a few cameras slip out of my hands and roll down slopes, frozen, dunked, etc. In not a single case would a filter have protected anything and in no cases was the front element damaged. Other parts, in some cases, were.

#3: It also keeps unwanted UV light out that the hood can't do anything about.
    Uh.. glass itself does not pass most UV wavelengths and all sensors include a built-in UV (and IR) filter. There is NO use for a UV filter, digital or film. Even film has not been UV sensitive for at least two decades.

#4: The Hoya UV(0) will NOT degrade the image quality. Lens hoods do nothing at all in respect to image quality other than blocking light from specific angles. Image quality is the same whether or not you have the Hoya UV(0) on or not.
    Anything you add to the fronnt of a lens degrades the image. Thats an optical fact. Yes, a good one (a $47 filter on an "L" lens? Good grief...) will minimize the degradation. A lens hood makes a tremendous amount of difference an most angles as flareand extraneous light is caused by light reflecting off of all sorts of surfaces. It is the most underused piece of equipment in photography.

I have tested it on all my lenses and there is no difference. Other tests done with many lenses by different manufactuers show no degrading of quality either so I have no idea where you are getting your information.
    References please. Your tests may work that way as you have no lab to do them in. "Other tests"? Done by whom? When, where, under what conditions?

It's basically a cheap insurance policy that has the added benefit of keeping out UV light and it doesn't affect quality.
    If it makes you feel good and safe, fine. Some people protect their furniture with clear plastic covers for protection as well, not everyone agrees with that either. There is NO benefit to "keeping out UV light." That belief is at least 20 years out of date.

This argument keeps popping up, I am not going to continue yet another endless discussion on the same tired arguement. If you like to slap full time filters on all your lenses, fine. When you suggest that to others, I will present my opposing opinion. It is then up to the poster which opinion he/she will accept.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I agree with Michael. Lens hoods are for protection from stray light and objects- that's why they have that rubber bumper, for instance, on the large teles. Filters, particularly with the OP's requirements of a wide angle lens, can be as much a curse as a protection. They often induce flare and ghosting- even high quality ones. I use them occasionally, yes, but only when I do need that weather protection. Other than that, I prefer a pure optical formula.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Nikon D80

I would say that the D80 is the most economical solution:

use color filters, including UV filter :
    - Yes like all DSLR's

use sunshield :
    - Yes like all DSLR's

can affix a standard "multipurpose lens" (I don't know what this means :S), that can do a moderate amount of zoom:

- Yes Example the 18-70 is very good and takes you from a moderate wide-angle (for landscapes) to moderate telephoto (for portraits) while remaining compact and reasonably inexpensive

- Yes. Example the 18-200VR which has no equivalent in the Canon range. There is a vast choice of lenses in the Nikon range and all the current ones work with the D80

- Yes. Nikon do the 12-24 or there are cheaper lenses from Tamron, Sigma, Tokina

- Yes

- Yes (10Mpix)

- Yes. The Nikon flash system is the best

- No camera has a double tripod screw. For really long lenses there is a screw on the lens itself
    Last edited by Franglais; 06-24-2007 at 11:01 AM.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Nikon D80

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    - No camera has a double tripod screw. For really long lenses there is a screw on the lens itself
    I should have mentioned this. Heavy lenses need to be supported at or very close to the center of mass of the camera/lens system. If that is done, then the torques balance out or are, at least, made minimal. Only one point of support is really needed: on the lens.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Of course he didn't say whether he wanted film or digital.
    As for UV filters, I use them just to keep dust off the lens glass. Seems I have to use my blower every few minutes when I'm shooting.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Wink Re: which is the most adaptable camera?

thanks for all your answers

aiiieee i meant not a UV filter, a polarizing filter, so you can take photos of glass encased things/objects under the water without reflection. Also, i meant digital camera :thumbsup:

i want to be able to take pictures as wide angle as human vision, or something close, without terrible fisheye distortion like they have in so many photos are there lenses for this?

and also what is all that mysterious text written on a lens body

what does a tilt focus lens do differently than the camera's different focus zones?

i want to be able to take pictures as wide angle as human vision, or something close, without terrible fisheye distortion like they have in so many photos are there lenses for this?
    This is extremely tough, if not impossible. Your eyes are just part of the equation. The brain is doing all the processing and increasing the FOV, available contrast, providing massive DOF, etc. that no camera computer can yet do. Your eyesight/brain, if I recall correctly, provides something around 115 degrees per eye if you include peripheral vision. I don't know of any wide angle lens that can do that without distortion (someone out there may know of one...?). Plus, even if one could, the perspective would be all wrong (equivalent to about 40mm in the 35mm format). Photography has never been about reproducing what you see, its about artistically interpreting it!

thanks for all your answers

and also what is all that mysterious text written on a lens body

what does a tilt focus lens do differently than the camera's different focus zones?
    As Michael has said, the focal length that most closely resembles what the human eye sees is aroundabout 40-50mm in film terms. In APS-C digital terms this corresponds to a 28mm. I love my little 28mm f2.8. It allows me to picture people in everyday life about as I see them, neither too close nor too far away. On the other hand for landscapes it's pretty boring.

The mysterious text written on the lens body depends on which manufacturer you're talking about. Usually it's talking about the technology used in the lens (EF-S, ED, VR, etc). What really counts is the end result. However there is some important information that you really need to understand:

- the range of focal lengths (NNmm-NNNmm)
    - the maximum apertures at longest and shortest focal lengths (fNN_fNN)

As for tilt focus lenses - I've never owned or used one. I think they allow you to tilt the lens instead of having it straight on to the sensor. Instead of having the in-focus part all at the same distance from the lens, the in-focus distance varies from top to bottom of the filed, depending in how you have tilted the lens. So far instance in could have the top with the sky in focus and the bottom with the foreground in focus. This was useful with 8x10 inch view cameras but modern DSLR's have much more depth of focus anyway becaus ethe focal length is short
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information