Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Monopod Advice Needed!

Im looking at either the:

Bogen Monopod 680 Compact Chrome BLACK (to go with my nikon):
    http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/29...s%3Bcimonopods

or

Bogen Monopod 681 Professional

I also need a head for a monopod right?

Re: Monopod Advice Needed!

I have a 680 which is a pretty big, heavy duty monopod. Unless you're using big lenses like a 600 f4, I don't think you'd need anything bigger (smaller is probably fine). It has a 1/4" mounting stud and a 3/8" adapter so it will work without a head but best this way if connecting to a long lens's tripod mounting base. That head (or the 3232 that I have, without quick release) will work very well if connecting a camera body directly to the monopod.

mwt

I am a newbie so please do not get onto me but I bought a Monopod at Walmart for $21.00 and it works just fine for my obviously inexperienced needs.

It is basically a stick the extends in three sections with a foam grip handle.

What are the benefits of one that cost three times as much?

Thanks

Mike

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mwt
    I am a newbie so please do not get onto me but I bought a Monopod at Walmart for $21.00 and it works just fine for my obviously inexperienced needs.

Thanks

Mike
    Mike,,,,robustness....Check out the quality of the leg locks...Does your cheaper monopod leg still slide when the it is locked in place??How long will the locks last before the extensions start to creep???

BTW,,I've got a Manfrotto 681B...

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Quote Originally Posted by yogestee
    Mike,,,,robustness....Check out the quality of the leg locks...Does your cheaper monopod leg still slide when the it is locked in place??How long will the locks last before the extensions start to creep???

BTW,,I've got a Manfrotto 681B...

Jurgen
    Same is true with Tripods!!!!!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Run What Ya Brung!

Quote Originally Posted by mwt

Thanks

Mike
    Mike-
    Use it until it breaks - if it breaks. Expensive tripods and monopods are nice. But once you have them set up, camera support is more or less camera support. I like the good stuff as much as the next guy. But I want to make sure we don't get too snobby about equipment here. It's the results that count. And no one is going to be able to tell if you shot a photo with a $20 tripod or a $200 tripod - unless it collapses while you're taking the picture

While a more expensive tripod or monpod may last longer, have smoother leg extension, better leg locks, and a better head - once you've got it extended and you're shooting, there isn't that much difference. One of my favorite new discoveries is a little bean bag with a tripod mount. I keep it in my car and put my camera on it and shoot off the roof of my car or a fence post, tree limb, etc. It's small, inexpensive, simple, and I love it. I use it way more than I use my tripod.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

RRS has some great advice about monopods. They recommend a tilt head.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tuto...ods/index.html

Re: Run What Ya Brung!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    One of my favorite new discoveries is a little bean bag with a tripod mount.
    Who makes that? Sounds interesting and very useful.

I don't totally agree with your comment about tripods - "And no one is going to be able to tell if you shot a photo with a $20 tripod or a $200 tripod - unless it collapses while you're taking the picture". I do agree that part of it is that more expensive gear is usually easier to setup and work with and might fold down smaller and/or be lighter - all differences that have nothing to do with image quality (other than if the tripod is a pain to carry around it's more likely to not be used).

My first tripod was pretty good sized and looked sturdy. It was made by a well known brand and should have been pretty decent, or so I thought. It turns out that I could hand hold the camera and a moderate telephoto lens better than the tripod could. It was a complete waste of money.

Tripods do a couple of things for images (even though we're on the subject of monopods...). They hold the camera steady which becomes more important the bigger the print is (so a sturdy tripod is important) but they also help make sure that your composition is exactly what you want, for example making sure that the horizon is level, etc. Seems like tripods are the #1 thing that people (myself included) buy at least one or two of the wrong one before getting one that works for them.

Thread Information