Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Micro four thirds

Are there any Micro Four Thirds released besides the Olympus E-P1 and the Lumix GF1?

I've heard some are coming from Nikon, Canon, and Samsung, but can't find too many release details on them.
    --
    EVIL As can be
    http://www.evilcamera.net

Re: Micro four thirds

Canon and Nikon? That can't be right. If they released a similar body I could only imagine they'd make it a proprietary system, separate from micro 4/3rds. It'd be a cold day in hell before you'll see a Canon or Nikon body with an Olympus lens.

Re: Micro four thirds

Neither Canon or Nikon have anything like a Micro Four Thirds camera on the market. They may have something in the works, but like Anbesol said, it's not likely that they would actually use the Micro Four Thirds lens mount or the Four Thirds sensor. Samsung just announced the NX10 system camera, which will compete with the Micro Four Thirds cameras, although it's not actually part of that system. It uses its own lens mount and a larger, APS-C sensor. It's the same basic concept as the Micro Four Thirds System, though - no mirror box or prism and a smaller body with changeable lenses.

There are currently five available Micro Four Thirds cameras. In chronological order:

Panasonic Lumix G1
    Panasonic Lumix GH1
    Olympus E-P1
    Panasonic Lumix GF1
    Olympus E-P2

This Micro Four Thirds / compact system camera category is probably one of the most interesting things happening with camera technology right now. Really, it's still in its infancy. I could see Canon and Nikon coming out with their own compact system cameras. But right now the trend belongs to Panasonic and Olympus. It's their world. I am very curious to see what happens with the Samsung NX10, though. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one at the upcoming PMA tradeshow.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information