Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

which mega zoom camera?

Hi, I just had my camera stolen and no insurance :cryin: so now I am looking to pick up a new camera sooner then planned. I want something in the mega zoom line I originally had my eyes on the Canon S3 IS though not so sure now one big turn off is the small LCD screen, id prefer 3.0 or at least 2.5 as I rarely use the viewfinder.

I shoot mostly macro, nature and wildlife after at least 6MP, pref 12x optical zoom. I am shaky so defiantly need a good Image Stabilizer.

Currently reading through reviews on dpreview and its really hard to decide, my last camera was a kodak and was not happy at all so not going with them again, I despise Sony but if that's the best choice I would be open to that and try to get past the brand name.

I am still fairly new to photography but after good ease of use while still having good manual control my budget is about $500 CND

If any one can help suggest anything be great

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: which mega zoom camera?

the s3is is a really nice camera. if you just use the EVF in the viewfinder, you won't need to worry about the LCD. Plus, it's a swivel screen, so they couldn't make it that big. I've played around with it and it is by far the most popular superzoom that I sell.

What didn't you like about the Kodak? I've used a 5-megapixel Kodak super-zoom and I really liked it. I thought the color, features, and prerformance were all very good. I'm not a fan of the software, but you don't actually have to use it.

If you're looking at the Sony H2 and H5 you'd better check our user reviews. We don't have a lot of reviews yet for those two cameras. But they are very mixed and point towards reliability issues.

I would recommend looking at the Canon, the Kodaks, and the Panasonics. Panasonic is the only company you didn't mention that makes image stabilized super-zooms. Since you haven't looked into them yet, maybe they're the one. Here's a link to the Panasonic super-zoom digital camera reviews on this site:

Read and write Panasonic super-zoom digital camera reviews >>

Hope that helps.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

We can review cameras until we go crazy. I'm a good example LOL. From reading reviews on dpreview site, regarding these cameras the canon S3 and Sony H2, H5 were highly recommending where as the Panasonic FZ7 had only a recommended behind it.
    They mentioned that the Panasonic has a higher noise problem. Then again, I'm below amateur status, and just trying to learn all this digital camera lingo. That's why I visit this site as often as I can. Thanks Photo-John for this site, and everyone else that helps us out.

Thanks all, sure hard to decide which way to go each one has its own negatives. I Have been reading lots of reviews, comparing features, images of these 3 cameras Sony DSC-H5, Panasonic DMC-FZ7S, Canon S3 IS.

All are the same price pretty much still haven't decided but think it will be the Sony H5 it seems to have the most positives main negatives for me on it is slow bust mode some other minors are batter life, less scene modes, no panorama. But Stuff can manage with out and I don't mind carrying lots of spare batteries used to it form my last. The Sony seems to produce the better looking images, nice LCD, good IS, low noise good low light support and video. Still not totally happy with that choice but appears to be the best for my budget and style I am after.

I do like the Canon S3 IS if it just wasn't for that small screen I would be getting that, I use the LCD 95% of the time to frame so important to me, main down side to the Panasonic is higher noise.

For my kodak issues it could be just isolated but after what I went through with them turned off any thing kodak. I went through 4 C330 & C340 and my latest return I got back still had a few issues and I just gave up, not happy with there support and product quality from my experience.

Also looked at the $100 cheaper Olympus SP-510UZ but got turned off soon as I found out it didn't have optical IS

Btw John how did you manage to get the kodak to upload with out there software? With the C340 windows wouldn't even see it as a storage device, only other way is a card reader which I don't have yet. I didn't like there soft either, I just used it to upload and did any editing in Adobe Elements 4

DPReview says this about the Sony compared to the obvious competitors:

"Compared to the most obvious competitors - the Canon S3 IS and Panasonic DMC-FZ7 - the Sony H5 scores highly in handling, features, overall image quality and ease of use, and only really falls short in a couple of areas; burst mode, focus speed in low light (specifically at the long end of the zoom), and the purple fringing. The Canon S3IS wins hands-down when it coes to movies, the FZ7's lens and superior image stabilization means that at lower ISO settings it still, just, rules the roost when it comes to edge-to-edge sharpness, but the H5 offers a very attractive overall package that handles better than either, and - if that's what you like in a camera - has that nice big screen to boot."
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh5/page15.asp

Here's a comparison page for the Sony DSC-H5 vs the Canon S3 IS, with links to other discussions and comparisons:
    http://www.vsxl.com/cameras/Canon_Po...ny_DSC_H5.html

Thanks I have decided to go with the Sony H5. Yesterday I was at the stores checking all the cameras out that I had my eyes on to get a feel for them and happy to say that it only strengened my decision for the H5. the Canon I hated the small stick navigator just terrible for larger fingers also didn't like some of the button layouts. Fuji didn't care for there design either, Panasonic was a bit better and would have been my 2nd choice but the Sony by far was the better design and navigation controlls for me, didn't get to see the Olympus

I did notice what one fella was saying about the H5's 2 buttons on top next to the shutter with it being convenient to rest your finger there and I would be resting it there at times but from what I seen those buttons don't get pressed down easy and didn't cause any problems for me.

Seen a good sale on a 2GB Pro Duo while I was out so grabbed that a head of time worked out just $20 more then the 2GB SD I had my eyes on so not bad considering that was one of its downsides for the H5 the price of that memory but still don't like its slower speeds but guess be fine just for the camera.

Now I am just waiting for the H5 to go on a decent sale which I would assume should start after black Friday

Sony is a safe bet

Hi guys, maybe im new to this forum but my old (Sony Forums) one had closed down due to technical problems, so i hope ill be welcomed here.

As for the Megazoom cameras, I tried and tested the Sony DSC-H2 wich belongs to a friend of mine, it has all what u need, long super telephoto zoom range, image stabilisation, Carl Zeiss lens, 2inch LCD .... etc or if u prefer more LCD size u can go up to an H5 with 3inch LCD and 7.2MP to back this up.

I hope ull find this little info good and helpful,let us know what u've decided,ciao :thumbsup:

I just bought the h5 last month, so far so good I am very happy with it.
    Karen
    Calif.
    Oly-ef370 12/08
    Oly- Evolt 510 01/08
    Sony h-5 10/06

Thread Information