Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Smile maximum enlargement

I am looking at a 7.1 megapixel and 10.1 megapixel digital camera. I like to make larger pictures and was wondering how far can i enlarge a 7.1 megapixel and 10.1 megapixel picture and still get the original clarity?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brett :mad2:

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: maximum enlargement

Well 10MP at 300dpi is approx 8x12 inches. I've heard of people and I personally know a working professional that does 20 inch prints at 6MP.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettaz
    I am looking at a 7.1 megapixel and 10.1 megapixel digital camera. I like to make larger pictures and was wondering how far can i enlarge a 7.1 megapixel and 10.1 megapixel picture and still get the original clarity?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brett :mad2:
    Either camera can give you great images up through 11x14 and excellent ones at 16x20. Digital holds up much better than film during enlargements. Note that this assumes you use the maximum resolution at the lowest ISO value.

Do not forget interpolation. This is a well proven and oft-used method to get "fake" pixels to make the image bigger than it really is. Although 300 dpi would get you an 8x10 using only native pixels, with interpolation it can go much higher. Interpolation gets a bad name sometimes when people overdo it.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

According to the photo mags and my experience as well, a 5 to 6 meg. will give you a very good 8 X 10 comparable to 35mm film and an acceptable 11 X 14. An 8 to 10 meg. will give you a very good 11 X 14 and a very acceptable 16 X 20. That is of course, assuming a high quality original. With some of the sophisticated plug-ins or new software that tweaks detail and selectively reduces various kinds of noise, it is possible to coach even more quality from originals to go to enlargements.

Ronnoco

Thread Information