Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Looking For Some Help On What To Buy

Hey all, this is my first post here but I have been a lurker for a while, but just got around to registering/posting. Its time for me to replace my Canon S330 2MP digicam, and I was looking for some input.

I've been reading reviews (both professional and user) on all the cameras I am primarily interested in, and the problem I keep running into is that they are all POSITIVE!

Basically I am looking for a camera I can slide right in my pocket with no problem (i.e. not bulging out or so heavy its going to pull my pants down, smaller than my old s330), has somewhere between 5-7 MP, provides great quality photos (for an ulracompact), and preferably has some form of image stabilization. It is doubtful that any prints I make from the photos taken will be of a size greater than 8x10", and a good battery life of atleast ~150-175 shots.

Here are the cameras I've been looking at, and comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated:

Canon SD450
    Canon SD550
    Sony DSC-T9
    Casio S600

Personlly, I am leaning towards the SD550, mainly as a) I've always been a Canon person, going back before the "digital era" and it seems to have amazing reviews, but I'd like to hear everybody's thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Looking For Some Help On What To Buy

sd550.... best in every regard. it doesnt have the high iso that the sony offers, but in point and shoots like that the high iso is useless anyway. image quality will be best in the sd550, by far...

Re: Looking For Some Help On What To Buy

Thanks for the reply. The one thing that grabs my attention away from the 550 (and 450) for that matter is the lack of image stabilization, which the Sony DSC-T9 does have. I take it that feature alone isn't worth spending the extra $ on the DSC-T9 (or other cams w/ image stabilization for that matter)?

Thread Information