Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Looking for a camera with the following specs:

Hey everyone. I'm looking to buy a new camera and I don't know too much about them so I figure I'll ask here. I'd like it to have the following features (in order of importance from top to bottom):

My budget is $300 CDN, but I am willing to go up a bit if its really worth it.

-I'd like the time in between photos to be short. Right now I've got a pretty cheap Nikon and it takes at least 10 seconds after I take one photo for it to be ready for the next. I can't stand that.
    -I'd like it to have at least 5x optical zoom
    -I'd like it to have an LCD screen of at least 2.7''
    -I'd like to be sleek and small, around 130g would be ideal. I used to have a Kodak EasyShare V5 something and it was nice and small. Something like that.
    -I'd like it to have a rechargeable LI battery. Not one that you remove and put in a charger, but one thats like a cell phone

This isn't necessarily a requirement, but it would be nice if it had an optical viewfinder and used SD memory cards as well.

I've found two cameras that I think might work, but I don't know enough to know how good they are. If you could also let me know what you think of these two cameras below that would be great. I'm no expert, I just want a decent, small point and shoot that I can take with me when I go out and stuff.

Here are those two cameras that I've found:
    http://tinyurl.com/68488a (Sony DSCW150 @ Best Buy)
    http://tinyurl.com/6lsdw8 (Fujifilm Z100 @ Future Shop)

Thanks a lot!
    Justin

Re: Looking for a camera with the following specs:

I've been looking and I found a few more cameras that I'm going to list if you guys have any information on these.

Fujifilm FinePix J50 - http://tinyurl.com/3o8mpq
    Olympus Stylus 820 - http://tinyurl.com/4pfh69
    Olympus Stylus 840 - http://tinyurl.com/3rh9d7
    Olympus Stylus 1010 - http://tinyurl.com/43qlly
    Ricoh Caplio R7 - http://tinyurl.com/3cbwmb
    Ricoh Caplio R6 - http://tinyurl.com/4z5qe9

The reason I listed different models of pretty much the same camera is because I don't know enough to tell the difference and whether or not it is worth to pay the extra cash for things i may not need.

Thanks

Neither of those has an optical viewfinder, which would be a nice bonus but not a necessity.

Nobody can help?

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JNanu
    Nobody can help?
    Your requirements are too narrow. Of the cameras you listed, the Fuji and Olympus are best bets. I'd personally stick with the Olympus unless the Fuji has given up those problematic Xd memory cards. The Ricohs are really for experts who are willing to put up with the glitches.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

requiring a 2.7" lcd really leaves a lot out, with a 2.5" you've got a wide selection of Canons Powershot series which, I think would be the best and most versatile option for anybody looking within your parameters. Is there a reason you need a Li battery pack and cant do AA's?

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Is there a reason you need a Li battery pack and cant do AA's?

Or a LiIon that needs to be removed to be charged? I mean I know it takes a lot of muscle to open the battery compartment door and all, but come on be a bit more flexible.

Truth be told, a battery that has to be pulled out is probably a better design than one where the charger plugs into the camera. That would mean one more external port to get crud in it and to corrode, rendering your battery un-charge-able and consequently make your camera an expensive paper weight.

With a set of requirements like this,it is not surprising that it took a while to get a response.

What type of photos are you planning on taking? This will help us pick the best camera for you.
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

The problem is there are so many models and life cycles so fast finding an expert who knows them all is going to be hard. (Had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago when deciding to try digital). If someone doesn't have a camera with all the features you want then you're unlikely to get a reply.

In looking at your requirements, one big problem is going to be finding a very small camera with an optical viewfinder. Try narrowing down your choices and then seeing if you can get feedback from owners of that particular model, and reading the reviews.

Okay, lets narrow down what I'm looking for.

-Quick photos. I was really really disappointed with my current Nikon because it took so long in between photos.
    -Internal LI battery. Don't be sarcastic, dumpy. I don't like a lot of clutter in my space and having chargers sitting everywhere is annoying. Everyone has their own personal bit of OCD, this is mine.
    -2.5'' LCD is okay I guess if it really opens up a lot of avenues.
    -Viewfinder isn't necessary, but it would be a plus.

What I plan on using this camera for? Random stuff... weekend at the lake with my family. Night on the town with my friends. Birthday parties. Taking it to the ball game. Seeing a nice sunset. Just a regular camera that I can stick in my pocket and take with me. I'm just a 4th year university student who needs a new camera.I used to have a decent Kodak that I really liked... metal, easy to use, I love EasyShare software. Had it for a good 2 and a half years, took it with me to a club, dropped it, gone. I got myself a cheap Nikon, didn't really research much into it, and I really am disappointed, so this time I'm trying to get some input before investing in another camera.

Really all I'm looking for is the best camera I can get for around $300 that will take quick, decent photos and that is nice and small.

Well, if you could expand your budget a little you could get a camera that meets every requirement mentioned. The Canon Powershot G9 will be one of the fastest non-SLR cameras on the market, 3" LCD, LiIon battery pack, optical viewfinder, and though its not by any means a sub compact, it is a puny little thing for as much as is packed into it. Of course, this puts you at least $100 over budget. If the budget wont allow this - you could look into the predecessor - the Powershot G7, which is almost the same in every way but the screen is 2.5" instead, and other minor differences. Really this sounds like the camera that fits your needs very well.

You will, however, need to buy the AC adapter separately, it will only come with a battery charger, but the AC adapter will also charge the battery through the camera as well, and puts you right around your budget with the G7, if only slightly over for the adapter. Check out ebay for both the camera and the charger. Let me know if that helps, good luck!

Those two cameras look good Anbesol, but where are you finding it for $300? Looking around it seems that the G7 is selling for around $550 and the G9 for around $499 (according to the canon website).

I just searched the completed listings of Ebay, the G7 has been selling for between $290 and $340. Ebay has some really good sellers too, if they say excellent+ or mint condition, rest assured it is... That is the way I would reccomend. You could also run all over town and see if any local retailers still have theirs in, which would likely be in the clearance section, but its doubtful...

*edit - strange that canon would mark the G7 $50 higher than its next model up... hmmm... Check out this listing that just finished -- link here

Maybe its cause I'm in Canada... I'm not finding too much on ebay.ca but I guess I'll be willing to pay the extra shipping to Canada.

ah I see, forgot to factor that into the equation, sorry. Let us know what you decide and how it works for you!

Thanks. I've been looking at ebay canada for digital cameras in my price range, and I've come across 4.

CANON POWERSHOT S80
    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T70
    GE E1040
    Casio EX-Z200

The Casio is cheapest at $210 and the Canon is most expensive at $250.

The Canon is pretty heavy, so I'm leaning away from it. I've never heard of GE making cameras, so unless someone on here can convince me differently I'm leaning away from that one. The Sony only has 3x zoom, so I'm leaning towards the Casio. Its light as hell (119 grams WITH battery). 4x optical zoom. 2.7 inch LCD. LI battery. Cheapest one of the 4. Uses SD card. I've got until June 27th till this thing is off.

So I guess to make it more clear, for $210 is the Casio Exilim EX Z200 a good camera that would suit my needs (as listed above)?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JNanu
    Okay, lets narrow down what I'm looking for.

-Internal LI battery. Don't be sarcastic, dumpy. I don't like a lot of clutter in my space and having chargers sitting everywhere is annoying. Everyone has their own personal bit of OCD, this is mine.
    Hey to each their own, but your still going to need at least an AC adapter, which many times is at least as large as the charger. It just had to be the most ludicrous criteria for a camera I have ever heard. Many chargers are barely bigger than the battery they hold.

I don't know much about the G7/G9, but I've had good luck with Canon P&S cameras. My gf has one of the little SD1000 cameras and it's actually a pretty nice little unit. Great IQ for a camera that small. The lens is a bit short for what you are looking for though. I used to have an S2IS, that was a really great fun camera too, but bigger than what you want.

If you liked your Kodak, have you tried out any of their stuff? Have you visited your local camera shop to see what they think? Nothing beats holding the camera in your hand and actually using it.

So how did you end making out?

Hey guy,may you search on the internet for get more information????if there really onbody can helps you,that is a good way!!! you could find some good supplier.then,for those two you mentioned,I am not familar with that,so I couldnot give you advice.
    Http://www.onvon.com
    China electronics wholesale
    Buy direct from china
    Digital camera camcorder

Thread Information