Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Looking To Buy Digital Camera

im looking to buy a digital point and shoot camera for my g/f..i would like to spend no more then 200 dollars if its a little more not a problem , my requirements are that it be 8-10 mega pixels,that it has rechargeable battery not aa batteries would like one that takes good quality movies also and doesnt have time restrictions only restriction should be how much space on the memory card we have she will be using it for every day use to take pictures of various things and also at concerts and other low light events.

i was looking at certain sd canon models but everything ive read there not that great in low light and its very important for us to get one thats good in low light.please reply with what you think best brand/model to get would be

Re: Looking To Buy Digital Camera

Unfortunately, no $200 camera is going to be good in low light. In fact, no camera is inherently good in low light. Light is what makes cameras go. So the more you have the better. And as far as point-and-shoot cameras go, the Canon SD's are about as good as it gets when it comes to image quality. Sony would be my second choice if low light and general image quality are top priorities. But don't expect any camera to really work well at night or at the club. She's gonna have to learn some tricks to get the most out of it. But we can help with that :-)
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

i was looking at this camera originally canon SD1100 and other cannons like SD870 so do you think one of those is a good choice or should i go for a sony which of these sonys are better W120 or W150
    Last edited by iamloco187; 08-05-2008 at 10:33 PM.

hello everyone,
    I am just a newbie so I hope this is not posted in the wrong place?! I have always used a manual SLR----Nikon FE and want to look into a digital now. Is Nikon a good one to stick with or Pentax, Canon? I guess I want the clarity, features and good lens quality of my old one-------is that possible?

I know, I need to spend some time on reviews------but what is your gut feeling on a price range of $1500 to $2000? Thanks.
    lost something lately......data recovery software

That's not entirely accurate, PhotoJohn. The problem isn't price, the problem is buying into the "more megapixels is better" myth. It isn't. I came across an interesting article today about how more mega pixels is not necessarily a good thing. According to Image Engineering – a company that does testing of digital cameras for photo magazines in Germany – the quality of digital pictures has steadily decreased since the state of the art was six megapixels back in 2004. And because they don’t have a “dog in this hunt,” they put forth a compelling argument for buying new digital cameras with less mega pixels and not more.

The argument is essentially this: CCD chips on point and shoot cameras a smaller and as such, fitting in more pixels causes them to lose light sensivity. Sure, there’s more data on the chip, but the chip can’t absorb the light data and what it ends up with is a picture that has more noise than image quality. In addition, the more megapixels a camera has, the larger the lens it needs to provide the clarity it deserves and prevent diffraction due to a loss of detail with smaller apertures. But since we’re talking portable point and shoots here, those large lenses simply aren’t being made.

Finally, with larger mega pixels comes longer saving time due to their requires huge storage capacity, or more compression if not storing images in RAW format. The result is a noisier image and a dissatisfied camera user who thirsts for high quality and speed but fell into the trap of "more must mean better."

In the end, relying on a smaller MP that can balance all these needs may indeed be a better answer.

We do agree on the SD line, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Unfortunately, no $200 camera is going to be good in low light. In fact, no camera is inherently good in low light. Light is what makes cameras go. So the more you have the better. And as far as point-and-shoot cameras go, the Canon SD's are about as good as it gets when it comes to image quality. Sony would be my second choice if low light and general image quality are top priorities. But don't expect any camera to really work well at night or at the club. She's gonna have to learn some tricks to get the most out of it. But we can help with that :-)

iamloco187 - I have a Canon PowerShot SD870 IS and am very pleased with it. It has many good features such as: good quality 3 inch LCD screen, image stabilization, good video, convenient size for pocket portability, user friendly displays, ample manual settings to cover a wide range of photographic situations.

I understand that more pixels isn't necessrily a better thing. I meant more light is better - not more pixels. Although, as more pixels are added, noise reduction technology has improved as well. I've actually been surprised how image quality has managed to improve with more pixels. Case-in-point - with 50% more pixels on the same size sensor, the 12-megapixel Canon PowerShot SD950 IS shouldn't be as good as the 8-megapixel SD850 IS. But it is. If you you look at images from both at 100%, you can see the noise levels are pretty much exactly the same. Furthermore, with more pixels, the SD950 IS effectively minimizes the noise that is there, delivering better image quality. I've never bought into the "more pixels is better" marketing hype. But when it works, it is a good thing. And I've been pretty impressed with the improvements in the past couple of years. The year or two before 2007, I wasn't so impressed. But digital cameras introduced since the spring of 2007 have generally surprised me.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I don't want to make a rukus or anything but I do think we get more technical than needed for a guy that wants to buy a $200 camera for his girlfriend.
    Just my thought.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I dont know if the SD1100 is a good camera, but I have found it for $180. Is this a good price and a good camera. It for my gf, just a simple camera that will do the job.

This is where i found it http://www.sigelectronics.com/Electr...P-2-5LCDPink_2

Quote Originally Posted by iamloco187
    im looking to buy a digital point and shoot camera for my g/f..i would like to spend no more then 200 dollars if its a little more not a problem , my requirements are that it be 8-10 mega pixels,that it has rechargeable battery not aa batteries would like one that takes good quality movies also and doesnt have time restrictions only restriction should be how much space on the memory card we have she will be using it for every day use to take pictures of various things and also at concerts and other low light events.

i was looking at certain sd canon models but everything ive read there not that great in low light and its very important for us to get one thats good in low light.please reply with what you think best brand/model to get would be
    Be sure you ask how many MP card the camera will handle. You can't always just get a 4GB card and put it in a camera and think the camera will work with it. That's what I was told, but not sure if it is true.

Thread Information