Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    kmf

Likelihood of Canon S50 successor anytime soon?

After doing extensive research I had basically decided to pick the Canon S50 as my new digicam. The main reasons for choosing the S50 were that I would be able to use an 1GB microdrive that had been laying around unused and the ability to use basic point-and-shoot or manual settings when necesarry, but when I went to the local mom and pop digicam shop I did not like the size (too large) and feel of the S50. So I'm basically pondering if I should wait for the succesor of the S50 (hoping for a redesign and smaller size), buy the S50 and take the size for granted or just pay some extra bucks and buy the G5 (as the size difference of the S50 vs G5 would not be that big a factor anymore). Of course as I have sold my previous cam I am looking for a replacement in a hurry. As the S50 is more than a year old, how likely is it that a successor would be introduced anytime soon (like within the next month or so)?

S50 replacement or successor

Just spoke with Canon (dialed the presales number on their site) and they confirmed that they have discontinued the S45 and S50 and are no longer manufacturing the camera.

As expected, the rep said that he was not currently aware of a replacement or successor to the S50.

Guess we’ll have to just sit and wait to see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by kmf
    After doing extensive research I had basically decided to pick the Canon S50 as my new digicam. The main reasons for choosing the S50 were that I would be able to use an 1GB microdrive that had been laying around unused and the ability to use basic point-and-shoot or manual settings when necesarry, but when I went to the local mom and pop digicam shop I did not like the size (too large) and feel of the S50. So I'm basically pondering if I should wait for the succesor of the S50 (hoping for a redesign and smaller size), buy the S50 and take the size for granted or just pay some extra bucks and buy the G5 (as the size difference of the S50 vs G5 would not be that big a factor anymore). Of course as I have sold my previous cam I am looking for a replacement in a hurry. As the S50 is more than a year old, how likely is it that a successor would be introduced anytime soon (like within the next month or so)?

Canon S60

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s60.html

Smaller, lighter, less expensive.

I like the improvement on the battery.

Thread Information