Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Lens for digital rebal

i got a great deal on a digital rebel yesterday!( woo-hoo!) now lets hope i am smart enough 2 use this! LOL!)
    it came with lens efs 18-55 i need a lens that zooms better I only have 100 dollars to spend on this. and will be shopping ebay i am sure. anyone have any names and model numbers that will work on this camera? thank you so much for your responce!
    Hugs,GBU Love Catrina

I posted a response in your other post about a lens that I recommend. It's a little over a $100, but a pretty nice lens.

I'm posting on this thread, since you said that you will probably get it through E-bay. You have to be careful on camera equipment through e-bay. Lot of grey market stuff. But, one place that I can recommend is Flashpoint Cameras. They are an authorized Canon dealer and have very competative prices, plus quick shipping.

I've gotten a Tamron 75-300 lens and 420EX flash from them and was happy both times.

If you got the Canon Digital Rebel and are going with a 3rd party (non-canon) company you'll have to make sure it has the Canon EOS mount.

Here is the Tamron 75-300 (non-macro) from e-bay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2988885440

Here is the same lens from B&H...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=231635&is=REG

And the 70-300 with macro switch...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=213159&is=REG

Obviously you can go with companies other than Tamron, but I just find them to be the best "Bang for Buck" on consumer lenses.

As far as the converter...I don't have much experience with them. I think they are usually designed for a lens that is about 70mm or larger...i may be wrong on this though.

What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar
    Be careful you know what you are buying, all three of those links look to me like they are for other brands of cameras, ie they won't fit the Digital Rebel.

what about this

I emailed a company in Okc and asked about a lens here is what i got back
    Catrina,
    Thanks for the e-mail. The least expensive lens for your Rebel would be the Tamron 80-210 for $119.99. A protective filter would be $9.49.

( here is my ? is this a "ok" lens? ( will it be much better then the one that came with the digital rebel? i think that one was a 18-55
    also will i need to buy anything elese so i can use it?
    thank you SO much in advance

What does this button do? Ooops. JDub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by angels_among_us
    I emailed a company in Okc and asked about a lens here is what i got back
    Catrina,
    Thanks for the e-mail. The least expensive lens for your Rebel would be the Tamron 80-210 for $119.99. A protective filter would be $9.49.

( here is my ? is this a "ok" lens? ( will it be much better then the one that came with the digital rebel? i think that one was a 18-55
    also will i need to buy anything elese so i can use it?
    thank you SO much in advance
    I have never used that lens, so I can't really vouch for it. From what I've seen, the kit lens that comes with the Digital Rebel is a pretty nice lens for the $100 you pay for it. However, it doesn't have a high focal length, so if you are needing zoom you'll need another lens.

You can look at this page
    Photodo.com for a review of sorts on that lens. It doesn't fair real well in the review, but remember its only $100 were some of the lenses on the page cost thousands of dollars. With your limited budget of $100, that lens would probably work alright for you to use as a zoom. It will be tough to get a quality, sharp zoom lens for $100. I've been looking and I'm expecting to pay $500 - $700 to get a 70-200mm zoom.

With the 1.6x crop factor of the DRebel, its effectively 336mm long on the telephoto end.

yup i got the other one with the camera but need more zoom i WISH i could pay 500 for one ! wooeeeee! would take me over a yr to save up! LOL!
    I am going to call and see if they have the Tamron 80-210 in stock brb

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    your best bet is a 70/75-300 tamron or sigma lens.

that 80-210 is of poor quality compared to above mentioned in my opinion

hope you got my email.... feel free to email me back any time.

AND as i said in my email..... SLOW DOWN WITH THE HASTY PURCHASES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they may come back to haunt you tomorrow

you can surely wait more than 5 minutes to get a new lens for a camera that next week you will not have mastered yet??????
    Last edited by paulnj; 02-25-2004 at 07:47 AM.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information