Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Leica vs Panasonic

Besides the price difference, is anyone aware of other differences between the Leica digital cameras and the Panasonic cameras with similar bodies and Leica lenses?

Ronnoco

Re: Leica vs Panasonic

As far as I know, the only difference is that beautiful red dot

For all practical purposes they are the same.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    As far as I know, the only difference is that beautiful red dot

For all practical purposes they are the same.
    Don't know how important they are but I have discovered some differences.

Apparently the Leica lenses on Panasonic cameras are manufactured by Panasonic under license from Leitz. Those on Leica cameras are manufactured directly by Leitz. Do the lens standards match? The chips in the Leica cameras have also been preprogrammed to match Leica parameters particularly in the area of colour. The camera bodies seem to be individual to either Leica or Panasonic and therefore with differences.

Ronnoco

Where did you learn of these differences? I don't want to be too much of a skeptic, but these differences would raise production costs and potentially void a lot of the value of the Panasonic / Leica partnership. On the other hand, it would be nice to find that you actually do get more for your money when you pay for the red dot. The only way to really find out would be to do a head-to-head test. What do you think? Shall I see if I can arrange it? That would be good, wouldn't it!
    Photo-John

Where did you learn of these differences? I don't want to be too much of a skeptic, but these differences would raise production costs and potentially void a lot of the value of the Panasonic / Leica partnership. On the other hand, it would be nice to find that you actually do get more for your money when you pay for the red dot. The only way to really find out would be to do a head-to-head test. What do you think? Shall I see if I can arrange it? That would be good, wouldn't it!
    I think that a head-to-head test is an absolutely great idea. I am sure that a lot of photographers would be interested in the results. I notice that the manual controls and other features on the Leica D-Lux 3, certainly make it worth considering as an upgrade to a pocket camera and the Leica V-Lux would certainly seem to be the best of the EVF (all in one) cameras. Both are 10 megapixels and certainly not outrageous in price even for the red dot version.

Ronnoco

Where did you learn of these differences? I don't want to be too much of a skeptic, but these differences would raise production costs and potentially void a lot of the value of the Panasonic / Leica partnership.
    True and a healthy skepticism is always useful but my view is that it certainly fits perfectly with the "style" and "culture" of the Leica business corporation as well as the licensing practices of Panasonic.

Ronnoco

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Fwiw...

FWIW... CNet claims the Panasonic and Leicas are exactly the same camera other than Leica changing some of the firmware. For example, the JPEGs are less compressed and that makes the write speed slower. And, of course, the price goes up for the Leica label.

If the disaster-prone M8 digital device is any clue, it appears that Leica is having a good deal of trouble moving to digital
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Interesting that related to the lens on the Panasonic Japanese site it said:in effect that it complies with the quality assurance program set forth by Leica, which certainly does not tell you, who manufactured it.

Ronnoco

there is a slight difference... Panasonic cameras are a bit more better in context with the graphics....
    STEVE

I learnt from a 2nd hand leica dealer that the glass in the lenses are different. Panasonic's are made by molding of molten glass pellets. Leica's are ground from solid glass block. They may look the same within the first few years. The molded lenses will start to became foggy from inside after some years. The leica lens can last for decades and remain clear. That's why we can still find clear leica lens from the 30's and 40's.
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||

the Daddiest Dad

Carrying: Leica CL, Canon EOS 40D, Fujifilm x10
    Dreaming of: Leica M and M6
    Base: Daddiest.com
    Gallery: Color, Black & White

I recently bought a Leica V-Lux 4, but not before comparing it with the Panasonic equivalent, the FZ-200. There are differences in appearance between the two, particularly around the lens barrel. The Panasonic simply does not feel up to the same quality as the Leica and there are other internal differences, some of which have been mentioned by others.

For me it was no contest. For not that much more, I could own a Leica, with the better glass and Leica reputation. Oh and I also got Lightroom 5 free for two,computers and a two year warranty that includes the first year cover of accidental damage.

I am delighted with it and that does not mean that the Panasonic is not a great camera and good value for money because I am sure it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Footski View Post
    For me it was no contest. For not that much more, I could own a Leica, with the better glass and Leica reputation. Oh and I also got Lightroom 5 free for two,computers and a two year warranty that includes the first year cover of accidental damage.
    For what it's worth, the glass and hardware is the same on both cameras. Other than processing and the look of the cameras, the Leica and Panasonic compacts are the same. There is a slight difference in JPG image quality in the high-end cameras like the V-Lux 4 and Leica does give you a much better warranty and software. However, the cameras really are the same. I've compared a few and talked to Leica about it and know it for a fact.

Just to make it clear - I'm not disparaging the Leica compacts. I just want to make sure anyone reading this gets the facts right.

By the way, I was going to ask you to write a review and when I checked the V-Lux 4 user review page I discovered you already had. Thanks a lot for that

You can read Footski's complete Leica V-Lux 4 user review here:

Leica V-Lux 4 User Reviews >>

Thanks for adding your thoughts and experience to this thread, Footski. This is, no doubt, going to be an ongoing discussion.
    Photo-John

A pleasure good Sir. This is what a good forum is about, good healthy discussion and learning.

Hello,

I've finished my reviews on Leica Q vs Panasonic LX100 II - on digitalcameraworld. But my task is to compare and contrast Leica D-Lux 7 and Panasonic Lumix LX100 II for factsandspecs project (they asked me to contribute and do my essay photo project as an additional resource for the video materials which they shared on YouTube last summer). They want to broaden the scope of digital cameras' specs with users' feedback and comments.
    Any experience with Leica and Lumix lenses, by the way?
    Last edited by PrfromTexas; 09-25-2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: typos

Thread Information