Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

LCD screen cracked?

how'dy?
    couple years ago i bought myself a Sony Cybershot DSC-W55. just the other day when i put tried to turn the camera on, i noticed my LCD screen looks sort of cracked and the day before i was using it, it was quiet low on battery, so i figured may be its the battery so i fully charged the battery hoping the screen goes to normal but It did not. looks like one of my friends sat on it or something. surprisingly, it functions well, takes pictures just fine, just like before, the only problem is that, the LCD screen is damaged. i am taking it to the camera repair guy but i wanted to know if anyone over at this forum has ever had the problem and how they fixed it- just dont wanna get ripped off by the repair shop.
    ps. warranty etc is all expired. i have attached a picture below how the lcd screen looks.

Re: LCD screen cracked?

unfortunately the labor cost of repairing the LCD on the camera isn't usually worth the value of the camera, ergo - totalled. If you manage to find a 'for parts/repair' unit on ebay, you can actually bust the thing apart and replace the busted LCD with a new one. An as/is parts/repair point and shoot is typically about $15. Heres one with a broken sensor - working LCD. ebay link You could get an extra battery/case/lanyard/video cable and other repair parts out of the deal too.

You have to do a bit of reverse engineering, the LCD is usually connected via a simple flat ribbon cable on removable headers, pretty easy on the powershot A540 I took apart, but they are always unique to the specific models exactly how and where the parts are, connect and disconnect. Requires a jewelers kit toolset ($1 at hardware store, glasses screwdrivers).

But yeah, the LCD on that is beyond toast. Its definitely worth a try to repair the LCD, have somebody else do it and they will almost certainly overcharge.

*Edit - in case you dont catch the ebay link in time, heres an OEM LCD screen Link. $29 free shipping.

Re: LCD screen cracked?

this way you can pretend you are shooting film, as you will not be able to preview your photos until you have access to a computer

Thread Information