Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Keep or Invest in new?

I currently have a Sony DSC-V1 Digital Camera, and I was wondering if I should just keep this camera and get some sort of lens for it (not sure which), or should I upgrade and get a Canon EOS Rebel XT?

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Ach!

Quote Originally Posted by lightsource
    I currently have a Sony DSC-V1 Digital Camera, and I was wondering if I should just keep this camera and get some sort of lens for it (not sure which), or should I upgrade and get a Canon EOS Rebel XT?
    Not a good question!

Are you looking to update your camera just to get something new or are there specific things about your current camera that you can't do but an XT will do? Post some examples.

Too many people upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. Is the Canon XT really an upgrade? Are you ready for the extra computer post-processing required? Are you willing to give up the live preview and movie modes? Are you ready to deal with the very different DOF issues? Maybe you truly have outgrown your P&S, then a move would make good sense. If you can't articulate what you are looking for or why, you might end up with an expensive blunder.

Expand on your reasons why you are looking for this type of new camera.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Re: Keep or Invest in new?

Well, I've been looking around at http://deviantart.com and, they've got lots of great photo's.

And it seems like I just can't get the types of images that people with that camera, and not just nice settings and things, but it seems as if EVERY picture they take is crisp, defined, very high resolutions and they use a lot of great lenses that I think would better me if I learned how to use some.

Liz

First let me say that the images you viewed could just be post-processed and may not look so good straight out of the camera. Having said that I'll give you my experience.

I don't know if the Sony is a compact digital or a DSLR, but I'll assume you want to upgrade from a compact to a DSLR. You seem to be seriously interested in improving your photography so if the Sony is compact, I would encourage you to upgrade to the XT. I have this camera and it is excellent. When I had my Canon G3 I thought it didn't get any better with the images, but felt frustrated because of the "lag" and the limitation of the zoom, etc. Having had a Rebel 2K, the G3 as great as it is was a step backwards for me.

My photography skills have increased tremendously using the digital SLR. And you can always get new lenses.

Keep posting any further questions you have - and people will give you more advice/suggestions. But as far as the XT goes, my experience with this camera has been nothing but great.

Liz

Well, I've been looking around at http://deviantart.com and, they've got lots of great photo's.

And it seems like I just can't get the types of images that people with that camera, and not just nice settings and things, but it seems as if EVERY picture they take is crisp, defined, very high resolutions and they use a lot of great lenses that I think would better me if I learned how to use some.

Along the lines of the other advice here, I'd recommend learning more about post processing. After a quick look at that site, I see a lot of stylized work - some more than others. A local college might offer a Photoshop class, but it may not relate too much to photography - it's also a standard program for graphic designers.

If you don't have Photoshop, I'd start with Photoshop Elements at a small fraction of the price but it still gives you a lot of the same controls that the full version has. Get Scott Kelby's Photoshop (version, like Elements 3) for Digital Photographers, and start working with the examples. There are other more in-depth books like the series by Martin Evening, but they're really in depth...

Digital cameras get better all the time. Whether or not they're better enough to make a difference is a different question. A DSLR will have a whole list of pros and cons to a compact digital, new or not.

Liz ---

Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice, and I do believe my camera is a Compact, one thing that is really odd about it (that I thought I'd point out right now since it happened about 3 minutes ago) is that when I am in my room, and I want to take a picture of somthing and its after about... i'd say... 6 PM, all the shots are blurry, I'm sure it has somthing to do with lighting but I can turn all the lights in my room on and I'll still get that effect.

another view ---

I do have Photoshop CS2, and I use it for alot of digital art and renders and things like that, but I am unfamiliar with Post-Processing. Are the guides that you are talking about free? Or do I have to order them, and if so from where. Also, are there any actual Post-Processing classes (that you know of) or would I just have to take a photoshop course and see what I learn from there? And what exactly are the problem with DSLR's?

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Your Sony has Av, Tv, and manual modes so you won't gain anything new learning from a DSLR. The DP Review test center found that your Sony has:

"Above average resolution, good tonal balance, good color response
    Very low noise, even at higher ISO (best of the bunch) "

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv1/page18.asp

I doubt that the camera is causing the problems.

Almost everyone who complains about picture quality of the type you mention believes that a new camera will fix everything. It won't, you will get the same images you now get but your wallet will be lighter!

I'd suggest improving your skills first, something the Sony can do. For example, ook at the images you like in detail. You say they are "more crisp"? Is it a steadier hand or a faster shutter speed perhaps? Set you camera to shutter priority mode and shoot the same scene at different shutter speeds. Try shooting scenes that duplicate elements in those photos you like.

Great resolution? Well, maybe, but it's highly unlikely you'll see differences on a very low resolution computer screen. If that's where the differences are being viewed, again, it's probably your technique. Check your camera settings, use a tripod, reduce the in-camera processing. Take a bowl of bright fruit. Shoot at lots of different shutter speeds. Load the images into an image editing program, play with saturation, unsharp masks, contrast. Look at the histograms.

The bottom line is that cameras don't take photos, people do. Give Muench a disposable and he'll still shoot rings around anyone here. Practice to get better, don't expext new equipment to be a shortcut.

Also, do post some examples of stuff you've shot but don't like. We can get very specific!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Are the guides that you are talking about free? Or do I have to order them, and if so from where. Also, are there any actual Post-Processing classes (that you know of) or would I just have to take a photoshop course and see what I learn from there? And what exactly are the problem with DSLR's?
    Here's a good book to start with, for CS2. Tons of free info here, check the Tutorials and Understanding series at the top.

There are really pros and cons with whatever equipment that you use. The downside of a DSLR would be cost, size and weight for starters. If it's too big and heavy to carry around, then it doesn't matter what it is - it won't be used. Also with interchangeable lenses you'll eventually get dust on the sensor. Not a big deal to clean it but something that needs to be done from time to time. All in all, there are some significant advantages to using a DSLR but sometimes I prefer my compact.

Thread Information