Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Import duties / taxes / GST when buying from US in Canada

To Canadians:

I'm looking for a good deal on a couple of different digital cameras in the US. I live in Canada and will ship the camera (or possibly a kit: camera, memory card, cleaner, etc.) across the border.

After researching a bit, I found conflicting information regarding whether or not I would be taxed duty and/or GST on a digital camera from USA. As part of the NAFTA agreement, camera equipment is supposed to be exempt from import duties, but I have heard from at least one person that was stung with a big duty bill when ordering a camera online.

If you live in Canada and ordered a camera online from US-vendor and had it shipped across the border, did you pay duty and/or GST? If so, how much were the taxes? When did you purchase? How much was the camera purchase?

Any personal experience would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!

Re: Import duties / taxes / GST when buying from US in Canada

I know there are Canadians on the site who have ordered from B&H and Adorama in NYC. I will see if I can get one or two of them to reply to your post. I believe they've said they did have to pay import duties but that it still ended up being less expensive buying from B&H. You might send B&H an e-mail, too. I know they ship to Canada all the time so they should be very aware of what the real situation is.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Import duties / taxes / GST when buying from US in Canada

good thread..
    still watching it..lol

Thread Information