Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

I'm looking for a small camera that can record sound.

I have a few very good cameras, and I know this is a professional camera site so I know there is shared interest here, unfortunatly my cameras never fit the casual and fun role.

so I'm looking to get a new one that would.

There are only a few requirements and I was wondering if you guys could quickly clear a few things up.

I must admit that this is going to be a glorified voice record for planning my schedule and only needs a passing function in being a camera, furthermore it must output to SD format, as that is the format all my cards are.

Finally I read a few descriptions in certain cameras that only supported up to 512mb, I've never seen this limitation before, but suffice it to say I don't want it.

Anyway I found this camera, and it would seem perfect:

http://www.svp-tech.com/12v/12v.htm

It has a microphone and everything else I require, but I am unsure if it can output to a sperate sound file, and not have to record video with it. I chose it because of the quality it seemed to show which I feel would result in at least decent for fun pictures.

-

Now with that being said, my IDEAL camera would be as follows:

Plug for external mic. (optional)

SD format.

Extremely small and above all light, the key is light.

Popular manufacturer.

Under 120$ but preferably somewhat less than that.

As good as possible at taking photos.

I would say stylish, but this is subjective, however I feel that pretty much any small camera is going to look good, as it's something hard to get wrong.

I don't feel these requirements are particularly restrictive as I know many cameras that output sound files, unfortunatly they never list these features in search engines. >=|

-----------

http://www.machspeed.com/specs/mp3/tv5.htm

This would be another decent option if not for three fall backs firstly it's a tad expensive due to the included onboard memory which I don't need, and adds cost secondly it's a little ugly and thirdly the manufacturer doesn't seem completly reputable.

http://www.ec-deal.com/catalog/digit...tml?language=1

Finally this would be the absolute perfect option, if it didn't come from an ireputable manufacturer.

I also found that my first option which I posted actually does voice recording.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Camera-D...QQcmdZViewItem

at least this ebay auction would suggdest, but I am still concerned about size and weight, as they list it as 120 grams without battery, and nowhere can I find the battery weight, so it must be heavy.

If you say that this is the best option I'll go with it,

Finding just the right camera is going to be truely a challange, what do you guys think would work?

Re: I'm looking for a small camera that can record sound.

Hi and welcome - I moved this to Digital Cameras because you might find more help here. I don't know of anything that will record only audio other than a device designed to do just that, but maybe someone here will.

Try the Caplio R5 from Richo, any of the Canon IXUS, Nikon, Sony, Fuji... they all do what you want.

Not sure of the price range as I'm in the UK.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I have a Casio Exilim EX-Z70 and it is possibly one of the smallest cameras, has sound recording/playback and it takes really good pictures. That’s a little above your price range new but they do make a version that is even smaller (thinner) but I’m not sure if they have sound.
    Current gear:
    Canon 30D
    Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF Lens

Thread Information