Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>
    Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico...(25.693204,-100.299683)

Talking as if buying the 1st DSLR wasnt difficult enough

Hello

i dont know if this is the right forum, but its the closest where i can get help

as you already know buying the first D-SLR is not easy at all, well now imagine that this camera is a gift for someone that already is a photo aficionado...

my father loves to take pictures of landscapes, portraits and sometimes really close closeups, he currently has an old minolta 35mm slr camera, he also has some lenses and filters.. 1 telephoto and 1 macro lens as far as i can remember

yesterday we were talking (over the messenger) and he said something like "i would like to have one of those "new cameras", because everytime we go to family reunions its like he is going vacations with his big case, and tripod lenses etc etc... and everybody just takes their mini point and shot digitals...

ok moving on
    im going to take advance of this and im going to give him a new D-SLR camera, but i dont know wich one is good

these are my options:

-canon rebel XTi
    -canon rebel XT
    -sony alpha dslr-a100
    -olympus Evolt E-510

- your recomendation here

implaning to spend between 700 and 1000 (sorry dad, limited budget here)

they are almost the same price, and i believe similar options...
    i would also need at least 1 lens (macro or tele) (with that budget i think i will get only the body ha ha ha )

i would really apreciate yor help, because my knowledge level about DSLR cameras (and photography overall) is -1

but please dont reply with something like "just buy canon"
    please explain me, brieftly, why X is better than Y

THANK YOU"!!!!!

PS i just found in my closet, buried in one of my drawers one canon FTb QL and one Olympus trip 35

they are oldies, but are like new!

you see, im not very good photographer..

Re: as if buying the 1st DSLR wasnt difficult enough

the sony A100 would be able to use his old minolta lenses as far as i know, so that would be a major selling point.

Jeff is correct - as long as his old Minolta is a Maxxum auto focus body. If it's a manual focus camera, then you might as well start from scratch because the lenses won't fit anything but what he has now. Can you tell us or find out what body he has?

If he does have a manual focus camera, then I'd recommend the Olympus. Right now I think it's the most bang for the buck. It has built-in image stabilization that will work regardless of what lens he's using, the two lens kit is a great deal. I am currently recommending Pentax, Sony, and Olympus to first time digital SLR buyers because of the built-in image stabilization they offer. Canon and Nikon have richer systems to offer. But I believe most photographers will benefit more from the in-camera anti-shake systems than a larger system they probably won't be that interested in anyway.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffp
    the sony A100 would be able to use his old minolta lenses as far as i know, so that would be a major selling point.

thank you JeffP, with my budget i think i wont be able to buy both lenses, so he can use those he has now

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Jeff is correct - as long as his old Minolta is a Maxxum auto focus body. If it's a manual focus camera, then you might as well start from scratch because the lenses won't fit anything but what he has now. Can you tell us or find out what body he has?
    -- I have asked him several times to tell me the model but he hasnt replied yet... but its an automatic camera... i still remember his words " dont push all the button, just the middle until yo hear the noise " when I asked him if i could take a picture....

so, yes its an automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I am currently recommending Pentax, Sony, and Olympus to first time digital SLR buyers because of the built-in image stabilization they offer. Canon and Nikon have richer systems to offer. But I believe most photographers will benefit more from the in-camera anti-shake systems than a larger system they probably won't be that interested in anyway.
    -- Yes, first i was 99% sold on the canon rebel, but i read on other post that the sony and olympus has the image stabilization... what is the point of having a great-great camera if the pics are not so great...

better to have a great camera and take great pictures

I now its between the Sony

and the Olympus....

thanks Photo-John

So you're sure the camera isn't a manual focus camera? He didn't pre-focus it for you? Because if he does have Minolta Maxxum mount lenses, then I think the Sony is the right choice because his lenses should fit the A100. If not, then I'd go with the Olympus. If you want to compare the two cameras further, we have expert reviews for both in our pro reviews section: http://www.photographyreview.com/proreviewscrx.aspx

The Canon will take excellent photos without image stabilization. It will just be more difficult in low light, with long telephoto lenses, and knowing a little technique will make a bigger difference. In my opinion, there are no bad digital SLRs right now. They're all excellent. It's choosing which one will be best for you that's difficult.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Can't help with which camera but you might consider getting him a gift certificate to a store or online site that carries all of them. Its such a personal choice.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Can't help with which camera but you might consider getting him a gift certificate to a store or online site that carries all of them. Its such a personal choice.
    yes. i think thats the easy way to do things... personal choice... but my dad would apreciate so much this present... you know...

also since he retired his job he moved to a very little town near Morelia, Mexico. so he wont be able to use it !!

I live in Monterrey, near McAllen and Laredo TX so im buying it in the USA... i saw the sony on sale in best buy for $660 usd and the olympus e-510 for $710 usd

here in Mexico doing the currency conversion the sony alpha is near $1100 dls, and i cant find the olympus dslr.... only point and shot cameras

my only concern about purchasing it in the USA is the warranty, i know they are good products, but, do anybody know if they have aome sort of "international" warranty, like some laptop manufacturers?

Thank you Frog!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

BestBuy does not have good ratings at http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Best_Buy
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

If you buy in the USA then the warranty should be no problem, even if your Dad has to send the camera to you first.

My concern is with what you said on the opening message about him having to pack up his camera equipment in a suitcase while other people just bring their point and shoots. Are you sure you want to go the DSLR route? Do you think he was hinting at getting a smaller point and shoot so he can carry it in his pocket?

I just thought I'd point that out.

If you're sure he wants a DSLR and you're sure the Minolta is a auto focus, then as Photo-john said the A100 is probably the way to go as far as lens compatibility goes.

Check this link out: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Hk1e

(edit)
    OK, I read down to the bottom of the link, once the bickering starts you needn't read any further. When I posted the link I didn't look to see what forum it came from. I'm so glad this forum isn't like that.
    Last edited by cyberlord; 11-23-2007 at 03:22 PM.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Quote Originally Posted by cyberlord
    If you buy in the USA then the warranty should be no problem, even if your Dad has to send the camera to you first.

My concern is with what you said on the opening message about him having to pack up his camera equipment in a suitcase while other people just bring their point and shoots. Are you sure you want to go the DSLR route? Do you think he was hinting at getting a smaller point and shoot so he can carry it in his pocket?

I just thought I'd point that out.

If you're sure he wants a DSLR and you're sure the Minolta is a auto focus, then as Photo-john said the A100 is probably the way to go as far as lens compatibility goes.
    im going to buy in USA definitely! right now and until friday 11-30-2007 im here in Provo-Salt Lake City Utah or maybe in december ill get it in Laredo , thats no problem

yes im 120% sure he wants a DSLR because he is asking about the lenses... and yes its a minolta maxxum auto focus so it must be compatible with his lenses

right now i think im going for the Sony, for lens compatibility
    UNLESS someone convince me to buy another camera.,..

thanks cyberlord

I agree with John Olympus 510 = No Tripod. The image stabilization is well worth the investment. And the prices have dropped since the release of the E3. Also you can check the Camera dealer feedback forum to pick out an online store
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Go for the Sony then since he is vested in Minolta glass. He will enjoy his new toy.

Glad we could help.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Thread Information