Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

I Need a good Point and Shoot camera quick suggestions needed

Hi all this place helped me a while ago to buy a Minolta Dimage 5.7 which has suited me fine but my parents find it a bit to complicated to use. I'm looking to get a good point and shoot in the $300-$400 range. Main points of concern would be: picture quality, as much optical zoom as possible, battery life, speed in the time you push the shutter button till it shoots, ability in low light or night conditions, and size something small easily carried on vacations. I really have no time to go researching and we're going to vegas over thanksgiving so I need it before then. As many suggestions as you all can give me would be the best start and I'll let you know which ones I like and then you all can tell me what else compares if any.

Thanks -Mark

Re: I Need a good Point and Shoot camera quick suggestions needed

Is this place just dead or did I put to much criteria down I'm just looking for suggestions ya know some I can look at and I'll tell you all what I like and then you can show me any others I might like. I can't will not goto a worstbuy or short circuit city and buy something off the shelf it's not in my DNA

Hi Mark, welcome to PR Sorry, I don't have much experience personally with P&S cameras. My dad recently got an Olympus SP-550 UZ. Not completely compact but, much smaller than my D50 was. Has insane zoom, Image Stabilization, and takes nice night time shots. They just came out with the SP-560 UZ. This is going to be a little out of your range but, since the the 560 is now out, you should be able to find some good deals on the 550's. I hope this helps. Also, I've been very happy with the Canon G series cameras in the past though I have not tried the last 2 versions.

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Don't rule out Panasonics. I have the DMC-FZ7 and am very happy with the results. They now have a DMC-FZ8 available for only $250. Mine is a 6mp and the newer one is a 7.1mp. They have a 12X optical zoom and and complete user controls. I have no idea how they do in low light, since I've never attempted it. I also purchased the Olympus 1.7 conversion lens for it, which gives me an optical zoom of over 20. I love that for birds. As far as lag time, here is the info on my camera:

Action Details Time, seconds
    Zoom from Wide to Tele 36 to 432 mm (12 x) 2.5
    Half-press Lag (0->S1) Wide angle, nine point AF ~0.5
    Half-press Lag (0->S1) Wide angle, High speed 3 point AF ~ 0.3
    Half-press Lag (0->S1) Telephoto, nine point AF ~0.6
    Half-press Lag (0->S1) Telephoto, High speed 3 point AF ~0.5
    Half to Full-press Lag (S1->S2) LCD live view or EVF, IS mode 1 (or off)
    ~0.04
    Half to Full-press Lag (S1->S2) LCD live view or EVF, IS mode 2 ~0.08
    Full-press Lag (0->S2) LCD live view, wide angle, High speed AF ~0.5
    Off to Shot Taken LCD live view ~2.7
    Shot to Shot Flash off 1.3
    Shot to Shot Flash on (red eye off) 1.8
    Shot to Shot Flash on (red eye on) 2.0

As far as size, it's not the smallest P & S, but not real large. The proprietary battery is rated for 320 shots with flash off.

Good luck.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys but I guess I goofed somewhere. I don't know what you call the kind of camera I'm looking for "compact" maybe but I'm looking for something like this Kodak EasyShare Z885 being advertized here. Sorry about the confusion but ya something small like this but as powerful as can be I know not to expect much especially in zoom compared to my Dimage but I'm sure theres ones out there with a better picture quality maybe. I got 2 weeks before we goto Vegas and I need to figure this out and find something.

Thanks -Mark

Just doing a quick search something like the leica c lux 2 would be awesome if I can find one a little cheaper $400 is the very most I have to play with. Used from ebay is also an option if I can get it fast enough.

Hi Mark, you might want to take a look at the Canon PowerShot SD850 IS. It's a little under $300, will fit in your pocket, has image stabilization, and has excellent image quality. CLICK HERE for the Photography Review PRO Review of it. Is that a little more of the direction you were looking for in a P&S?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Yes thanks thats more what I'm looking for I did some searching and found the panasonic lumix DMC-TZ3. I can get one off ebay for around $250 parent's told me tonight max is around $250 I got a little carried away. Anyway it's gonna be more there camera but I'll use it as well so I like extra features esp macro but it's needs to be able to easily take auto pics where the camera does all the processing and all they have to do is shoot. This Panasonic really appeals to me it's got a ton of zoom and features yet seems like they would be able to use it easily. It doesn't have to be so very tiny to fit in a pocket either my mom could carry it in her purse and it would fit in my pocket plus I have big hands deing 6'1" and really small cameras can be difficult for me to handle. I haven't found anything that really compares to this one so any more suggestions for other cameras or opinions on this panasonic would be much appreciated.

Thanks -Mark
    Last edited by m4rk_23; 11-09-2007 at 04:13 AM.

I used to recommend Canon P&S, but after every A-series camera I or my friends have purchased has either failed or begun to fail (that's eight total), and my SD200 is having issues, I don't anymore. I'll never purchase another again.

Next time I'll likely look into Nikons more, because I love my D50, and have seen some Nikon P&Ss that last forever.

Liz

Mark,

Panasonic cameras are usually very good - I don't have any personal experience with this one. Here are the specs on the camera - at least this will give you more of an idea about the camera - if you haven't seen them already.

It does have a Leica lens - one of Panasonic's winning features.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Here is the review from our review section....

http://reviews.photographyreview.com...z3-pro-review/

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by m4rk_23
    Yes thanks thats more what I'm looking for I did some searching and found the panasonic lumix DMC-TZ3. I can get one off ebay for around $250 parent's told me tonight max is around $250 I got a little carried away. Anyway it's gonna be more there camera but I'll use it as well so I like extra features esp macro but it's needs to be able to easily take auto pics where the camera does all the processing and all they have to do is shoot. This Panasonic really appeals to me it's got a ton of zoom and features yet seems like they would be able to use it easily. It doesn't have to be so very tiny to fit in a pocket either my mom could carry it in her purse and it would fit in my pocket plus I have big hands deing 6'1" and really small cameras can be difficult for me to handle. I haven't found anything that really compares to this one so any more suggestions for other cameras or opinions on this panasonic would be much appreciated.

Thanks -Mark

Ya I read the review and all I think I'm gonna get it unless someone chimes in with a better deal

Persoanlly, I think I would lean more to the Panasonic DMC-FZ8, for around the same price. It has just as many mp, has a longer zoom, will also shoot 3 fps, ISO from 80-1250 and will shoot in raw. It's a little larger but the thing I would not like, and would never buy it because of it, is the lack of the optical view finder on the TZ3. I never use my LCD for taking pictures. For one thing, if bright light hits it, it is tough to see and also, you'll be able to hold the camera much steadier with it pressed firmly against your forehead, while looking thru the view finder. I'm surprised they left this feature off this camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Thanks I will probably get a full body camera in the future but like I said this is more for my parents and my mom wants something easily carried in her purse. I'm actually getting a little on the to big size with the TZ3. Plus even though this Panasonic will probably take better pictures I still have my Minolta Dimage 5.7.

Thanks -Mark

Liz

You might want to check this .......... excellent price

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...n&subcat=&evl=

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by m4rk_23
    Thanks I will probably get a full body camera in the future but like I said this is more for my parents and my mom wants something easily carried in her purse. I'm actually getting a little on the to big size with the TZ3. Plus even though this Panasonic will probably take better pictures I still have my Minolta Dimage 5.7.

Thanks -Mark

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    Persoanlly, I think I would lean more to the Panasonic DMC-FZ8, for around the same price...It's a little larger but the thing I would not like, and would never buy it because of it, is the lack of the optical view finder on the TZ3. I never use my LCD for taking pictures. For one thing, if bright light hits it, it is tough to see and also, you'll be able to hold the camera much steadier with it pressed firmly against your forehead, while looking thru the view finder. I'm surprised they left this feature off this camera.
    I own the Panny FZ8 and it has an excellent EVF, there is no need to use the LCD. I never do. FWIW, this is the first EVF I have ever be happy with.

The camera has lots of cool features, fantastic image quality, and the price is right. I have to admit it, that Leica lens really is first rate and much better than the Canon P&S lenses I am used to. Oh yeah, I really love the display option that puts grid lines in the viewfinder so you can avoid crooked images.

The FZ8 is an excellent choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

I bought a returned Panasonic DMC-TZ3A (blue) at vanns.com for $225 and also bought an extra battery (Lenmar DLP007) and memory card (SanDisk Ultra II SD 1GB) all in total with shipping $282 not bad. I'll let you all know how I like it after we goto vegas

Congrats on the new cam Mark Don't forget to post pics when you get back :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

best prices so far

i haven't read thru all the replies but in one of them someone mentioned the olympus 560 being out of your range. please ck out www.86photovideo.com
    i'm researching cameras and they have by far the best prices around. the 560 can be had for $269 right now plus shipping. that's an insane price. they also have the panasonic that just came out w/ 18x for the same price. really great prices

Re: best prices so far

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat
    i haven't read thru all the replies but in one of them someone mentioned the olympus 560 being out of your range. please ck out www.86photovideo.com
    i'm researching cameras and they have by far the best prices around. the 560 can be had for $269 right now plus shipping. that's an insane price. they also have the panasonic that just came out w/ 18x for the same price. really great prices
    I hate to say this, but it's a scam. STAY AWAY!!!!!!
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store...et_Photo_Video
    They will lure you in with the great price and then try to sell you overpriced accessories, and if you refuse, your order will be canceled or on backorder forever.
    BuyDig.com and Beachcamera.com are generally the cheapest legit online store.

Thread Information