Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Cool I love this photo, what camera is it?

it's not a professional camera. It's canon but i dunno the model

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: I love this photo, what camera is it?

Unless we have the exif data there is no way to know what camera.
    It is also not acceptable to post photos that are not your own. If you need to refer to a photo, post the link that you find it in.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Just because a certain camera was used to make a photo you like, doesn't mean you will be able to take great pictures with it. It's the person behind the camera that creates the image.

You can spend thousands of dollars and get the "best" camera out there, but unless you know how to use it, you're not going to be taking high quality images. There are people out there making great images with $20 toy cameras. The camera is just a tool and you need to know how to operate it to get the best images you can out of it.

As Frog said, please don't post other peoples photos. A link to the photo works just fine.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

To echo what Mike said, the photographer made the picture, not the camera. I could take that picture with almost any camera. Think about it - that photo is about the content, the subject - not what the camera did. It has a reasonably good exposure, sure. But a person set up the scene, set up the camera (probably on a tripod), set the exposure, and decided when it was all ready to shoot. And then that person may have also done some post-processing. Shooting a scene that holds detail in displays (like the computer monitors) and surrounding objects, is very, very hard. Usually, it takes multiple photos that are then combined in Photoshop for the final image.

So if you like the photo, cool. But don't think you need a specific brand or model of camera to shoot it. That's absolutely not true. Good cameras are nice and make a difference. But the important thing is learning the basic principles of photography, how your camera works, learning to see what's really in front of you, and actually taking pictures. Cameras aren't magic. They're just tools that the photographer uses to create. In the end, the photographer always deserves the credit.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

It stands to reason that if the OP gets the specific camera he or she will be able to produce a similar result _IF_ they learn how to use it. My guess is the point of the thread was so Osiris didn't accidentally by a camera with such limited functions that they wouldn't be able to take photos like that. It could also be that there's significant post processing which would require both the camera, the software, and the ability to use them.

By the way, I don't like it As an exercise in composition it's an 'almost' photo to me, an inch short of brilliance, which is the most frustrating kind. I don't like the way the lamp (which provides great balance) 'touches' the side of of the bookshelf, or the way the file cabinet is framed, or even the way the pencil cup is arranged. That's just me, though. Of course if someone just whipped out their point and shoot and took the picture, "Here's Daddy's office," then they're either lucky or the best photographer in the world.

Aliken the camera with a car: a professional F1 driver can probably take your car around a track flawlessly without skidding out; however, if a random "Joe" takes a hold of a formula one car and tries to drive it around a track he will either spin out, crash, and/or not know how to drive it properly. The best cameras can take the best photos but only with the best photographers behind the pentaprism. I suggest you buy a nice P&S or entry DSLR to begin with and that should give you a good chunk of what you need to take photos like that one (which isn't very good b/c of the slight underexposure and excessive warmth).
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Quote Originally Posted by California L33
    It stands to reason that if the OP gets the specific camera he or she will be able to produce a similar result _IF_ they learn how to use it. My guess is the point of the thread was so Osiris didn't accidentally by a camera with such limited functions that they wouldn't be able to take photos like that. It could also be that there's significant post processing which would require both the camera, the software, and the ability to use them.

By the way, I don't like it As an exercise in composition it's an 'almost' photo to me, an inch short of brilliance, which is the most frustrating kind. I don't like the way the lamp (which provides great balance) 'touches' the side of of the bookshelf, or the way the file cabinet is framed, or even the way the pencil cup is arranged. That's just me, though. Of course if someone just whipped out their point and shoot and took the picture, "Here's Daddy's office," then they're either lucky or the best photographer in the world.
    After reading your response, all I can see is how the lamp intrudes upon the bookcase in the background.

To everyone before, seconded. The abundance of incandescent light and the yellow caste that accompanies it is driving me up the wall. The emphasis screams "product photography", but the lighting feels like "family night, playing board games".

I'm not a pro, and I am light years away from even considering myself a "hobbyist". I've learned that for every picture taken (regardless of the equipment used), there is a "woulda, shoulda, coulda" that accompanies it later.

Quote Originally Posted by sutherland
    After reading your response, all I can see is how the lamp intrudes upon the bookcase in the background.
    If the camera had been moved an inch to the left, or the lamp half an inch to the right, and it didn't intersect with the bookshelf's side, I think it would have been a more successful composition.

To everyone before, seconded. The abundance of incandescent light and the yellow caste that accompanies it is driving me up the wall.
    I think the yellow tone might be intentional- contrasting the 'homey' warm office tones with the cool high technology on the desk- the merging of worlds. Or maybe the photographer just didn't know how to white balance his camera

The emphasis screams "product photography"...
    Amen to that. You can just about smell Steve Jobs standing off to the side.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by California L33
    I think the yellow tone might be intentional- contrasting the 'homey' warm office tones with the cool high technology on the desk- the merging of worlds. Or maybe the photographer just didn't know how to white balance his camera
    Actually, it's probably more that if you wanted to get this without that incandescent feel, you'd have to change out all the bulbs for daylight balanced fixtures. The LCDs on all the electronic devices are approximately balanced for 6500K rather than the approx. 3000-3200K of most incandescent light fixtures, so it's either balance for the screens and get a yellow background or balance for the background and get horrific blue casts to the screens
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by fx101
    Aliken the camera with a car: a professional F1 driver can probably take your car around a track flawlessly without skidding out; however, if a random "Joe" takes a hold of a formula one car and tries to drive it around a track he will either spin out, crash, and/or not know how to drive it properly. The best cameras can take the best photos but only with the best photographers behind the pentaprism. I suggest you buy a nice P&S or entry DSLR to begin with and that should give you a good chunk of what you need to take photos like that one (which isn't very good b/c of the slight underexposure and excessive warmth).
    I hope you don't mind but I would like to modify your analogy slightly:

An F1 driver will drive any car round a circuit flawlessly and as fast as it could possibly go without skidding out; whereas a normal Joe may get lucky and get a fast lap but no where near the speed or smoothness of the F1 driver, and most likely spin, crash... regardless of the car.

Just like a pro photographer will be able to use any camera to get excellent results where as an ameature will occasionally get lucky.

My canon 5d or my Pro 1 will be capable of taking such a photo quite easily along with the Nikon L6 compact or even my Fuji 3Mpix 4700Zoom which was bought in 1999 if I got lucky.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I think the OP was just thinking it was a nice, sharp looking image and since the shot looked so nice and crisp that it must have been a decent camera, thus they were wondering what camera it was or what type of camera can take nice clean looking shots like that. Even though many of you stated it's mostly the photographer, of course the camera and the lens play a big part in it otherwise nobody on here would spend more than $100 dollars on their camera. What would be the point of buying a D300 or or an EOS if you can produce the same shots with a $100 dollar camera?
    We've learned to fly the air like birds, we've learned to swim the seas like fish, and yet, we haven't learned to walk the earth as brothers and sisters.

http://www.myspace.com/johnnybukkake

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    Actually, it's probably more that if you wanted to get this without that incandescent feel, you'd have to change out all the bulbs for daylight balanced fixtures. The LCDs on all the electronic devices are approximately balanced for 6500K rather than the approx. 3000-3200K of most incandescent light fixtures, so it's either balance for the screens and get a yellow background or balance for the background and get horrific blue casts to the screens
    Other options- bounce flash, Photoshop, or put 5600K balancing filters on the lights since you don't see the bare bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    The right way to do it is shoot two photos with separate white balances, and then combine them in Photoshop with masked layers. That's how all of the LCD display images in our digital camera pro reviews are done. That way you get perfect white balance for both the environment and the product. But you're right. You can't get it in one shot in the camera without either wacking out the monitors or changing the light bulbs.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The right way to do it is shoot two photos with separate white balances, and then combine them in Photoshop with masked layers. That's how all of the LCD display images in our digital camera pro reviews are done. That way you get perfect white balance for both the environment and the product. But you're right. You can't get it in one shot in the camera without either wacking out the monitors or changing the light bulbs.
    It's easier to filter the bulbs than change them.

Thread Information