Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Arrow I have done too much research

But I still am uncommitted at this point.

History:
    Started out with a Vivitar years ago (2003, it was junk),
    Sony DSC-S60 for years (and loved it),
    Canon Rebel XT (and loved it) edit: I got rid of it because I didn't like carrying around such a big camera with a big lens.

Now in the search for another camera I have tried a few different ones:
    Sony DSC-W370
    disliked because:
    - I thought the pictures looked pretty soft,
    - panorama mode created terrible panos.
    - 'auto' mode where it selects the picture-taking mode; it was too slow

Olympus Tough 6020
    disliked because:
    - the pictures were very soft
    - color saturation looked poor
    - overall picture quality was shabby

Casio EX-FC150
    disliked because:
    - the pictures seemed to blur fine details
    - the quality of the pics seemed to be inconsistent

I actually took comparison shots between the cameras and my girlfriend's older Sony. I believe that her Sony takes excellent pictures; hers is a W120 model.

I understand it will be hard to shove dSLR performance into a compact camera, but here is what I'm looking for:
    1. Very sharp pictures
    2. HD video
    3. Decent zoom (this eliminates the Panasonic LX3)
    4. Quick operation
    5. Budget ~$300
    6. Quick continuous picture mode (this was the main draw to the FC-150 along with the slow-mo video).

What I'd really like but isn't necessary:
    1. 3" LCD
    2. Quick-ish flash recharge
    3. GPS
    4. Zoom during video

Things I don't care about:
    1. Manual controls
    2. Zoom during video

What I don't want:
    1. Touchscreen LCD

At this point, I'm looking at the Panasonic ZS7 but I've seen reports that the ZS3 has better pictures (due to a lower megapixel rating on the same-sized sensor). I hardly ever take full-resolution pictures, so if I lower the megapixel-size of the pictures in-camera, will that increase some of the quality (essentially get rid of the too high megapixel on a small sensor) issues?

So any other suggestions or ideas or comments or critques or anything else you'd like to know?

TIA

Re: I have done too much research

A couple of comments.

1) It's totally unrealistic to expect anything close to digitial SLR image quality from a compact camera. I don't know how serious your statement about DSLR performance was, but in case you're hoping to get it - you won't.

2) How are you viewing images for comparison? If you're looking at them on the computer at 100%, you're not getting a realistic yardstick for image quality. Most images will look pretty poor at 100% on the computer. For final image quality judgement I like to make 8x10 prints. I think that's a much better real-world measure of image quality. For reference, check out our digital camera sample photos page. It has links to high-res studio sample images from lots of digital cameras. Feel free to download, print and compare.

For years I think Canon has had the best point-and-shoot image quality. I think the PowerShot S90 is the best point-and-shoot available if image quality is the number one criterion. On the other hand, I do really like the features and controls of Panasonic cameras - especially their pocket superzooms like the ZS7 and ZS3. You might be right about the image quality of the ZS7 being not as good as the ZS3. But like I said, I think you'd need to make prints to see if it really matters. And if GPS matters to you, then the ZS3 is off your list since it doesn't have that feature.

If you like the pocket superzooms then an alternative is the Sony Cybershot HX5V. It's basically Sony's answer to the Panasonic ZS7. I haven't used it but I have been using the Sony TX5 waterproof P&S, which has a lot of the same features and I think the same sensor. I love the features and performance of the TX5 - for a waterproof camera. And one more time - before you judge the image quality of the Sony HX5V, I think you need to make prints. Often, softness you see at 100% on the computer screen, is totally eliminated in a full-size print.

Unfortunately, we don't have studio samples for the Panasonic ZS7, ZS3 or the Sony HX5V. You might be able to take a memory card to a Best Buy or something to make your own tests, though. Or you could search the Web. I'm sure you can find another site that has controlled high-res tests from those cameras.

I'm going to do a little more research to refresh my memory about cameras with GPS to see what other alternatives there are. As far as pocket superzoom cameras go, Nikon, Fujifilm, Casio and Canon all make pocket-sized point-and-shoots with 10x or longer zooms. So if you can let go of the GPS you'll have more options.

Hope that helps!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John, thanks for the reply.

I said that I know it will be hard to shove dSLR goodness into a non-dSLR camera. However, there are some cameras that have dSLR performance (Sony's 10 full res fps, etc). I realize that the pictures taken with my old Canon XT will be superior to a non-dSLR camera.

My main focus is getting a camera that takes very sharp and clear pictures. I almost never print out pictures. I think I've printed maybe two dozen pictures out in the past 3 years. I've been viewing the pictures on my laptop at home, as I'll be seeing my pictures almost exclusively via electronic format.

I also don't view pictures at 100% crop, either. I usually just view them in my photo viewer at an 8x10 ish size - again, because that's how i'll almost exclusively see them.

I was interested in the TX5 during my initial search for a waterproof camera but I was turned off by the touchscreen - I think I prefer buttons and switches.

I am not dead set on having a GPS receiver integrated into the camera, but it did seem like a nice feature. A lot of the reviews I've seen regarding the other brands docked them on their image quality.

The Sony is appealing to me because of the burst feature (10fps) while the Panasonic is appealing because of the superior zoom function.

I wish we had better stores around here I could return cameras too wtihout a restocking fee.

Thanks for the reply, John.

Burst Rate

Quote Originally Posted by bigalpha
    The Sony is appealing to me because of the burst feature (10fps) while the Panasonic is appealing because of the superior zoom function.
    In the past few weeks there have been a couple more cameras announced that have fast burst rates. It appears that the CMOS sensor P&S cameras are faster and Canon and Panasonic both have forthcoming models that have action-worthy frame rates. The new Canon SD4500 IS can do 8.4 FPS and Panasonic has one new camera (Panasonic Lumix FX700) that can do 10 FPS and one that can do 11 (Panasonic Lumix FZ100) - that's faster than even the best digital SLR right now! I believe the Sony HX5V that I mentioned in my last reply can also do 10 FPS.

I just finished writing the article on the new Canon SD4500 IS and I'm seriously thinking about buying one as soon as it's in the store. It's a bit over your budget, but it sure has great features and I trust Canon image quality the most.
    Photo-John

Nice, thanks for the heads up on those other cameras. They are slightly higher than my budget, but that's not to say that I can't pitch in a couple extra bucks if I find the perfect camera.

I think at this point, I'm torn between the ZS7 and HX5V. I haven't been able to discern a terribly big different between the pictures of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by bigalpha
    I think at this point, I'm torn between the ZS7 and HX5V. I haven't been able to discern a terribly big different between the pictures of the two.
    I would be surprised if there is a big difference. For better image quality I would look at Canon, Nikon and possibly Fujifilm. I'm not sure if either of those makers have cameras that match the features of the ZS7 and HX5V, though. All three have pocket superzooms, though. It's just the GPS I'm not sure about.
    Photo-John

Thread Information